Dawn of War 2 Help Please!! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-12, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Androxine Vortex's Flag is: USA

Default Dawn of War 2 Help Please!!

I have asked for DOW2 Chaos Rising for my birthday. I have played it at a friend's house and its really fun but I really suck at RTS games. I wanted to know if anyone has any guides or tips when playing these games. It's so bad that I lsoe on the easiest setting. My problem is i don't know how to properly mult-control everything and I don't know in what order you should do things. I guess I will be playing as Chaos or Sm but i guess i will play around with everybody but i would really like to play as Chaos since I am getting the CR expansion.

So please if you have any tips or anything, help a fellow heretic out. I would love to play this game but I need to get better. I tried looking around the web for RTS guides and DOW2 strategies but I really didn't find anything helpful and I don't have too much free time lately. I have watched a few online matches but I would to actually understand how to play and not jsut watch someone else.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

+MAY THE DARK GODS BLESS YOU WITH MANY TENTACLES+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-12, 01:12 AM

I'm not that well familiar with the finesse of DoW 2, but one option that worked with me and Starcraft is to partner up with an expert who can basically train/coach you on what to do. I believe DoW 2 also features a theater/game replay feature as well, which can help you see what people do.

Takes a bit of patience, of course.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-12, 04:35 AM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Dont be disheartened by the fact that the multiplayer in DoW II has a very steep learning guide. I feel sorry after several games when I notice that the guy I just brutally slaughtered was a new player.

One site that is often recommended for new players, or players who want to get better, is http://www.projectl2p.com/. Never used the site myself, but the general feed back has been good.

DemolisherPrime on the DoW II Community site wrote a short beginners guide which could be to use. http://community.dawnofwar2.com/forums/topic/54689

For good commentaries on replays, check out this YouTube channel, http://www.youtube.com/user/DoWReplaysNet?feature=watch

I cannot really provide to much of aid myself, since I have played around five MP games of Chaos Rising, and Retribution is after all these patches a very different game imo.

But, play and try to get the feel for it. This game does not come fast, but once you get the hang of it it will quickly get easier.

Check out the Project: L2P Steam group, I am sure that there are several persons there who will be happy to coach you on the basics of the game.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-12, 06:14 AM

khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: lived on tyran, moved to occulus, then to macragge.DAMN THE TYRANIDS!!! (near derby)

what playing style do you want to learn defense then assault or just assault?

40Kprayers and benedictions

see my guard army here

see my Empire army
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-12, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
Dont be disheartened by the fact that the multiplayer in DoW II has a very steep learning guide. I feel sorry after several games when I notice that the guy I just brutally slaughtered was a new player.

One site that is often recommended for new players, or players who want to get better, is http://www.projectl2p.com/. Never used the site myself, but the general feed back has been good.

DemolisherPrime on the DoW II Community site wrote a short beginners guide which could be to use. http://community.dawnofwar2.com/forums/topic/54689

For good commentaries on replays, check out this YouTube channel, http://www.youtube.com/user/DoWReplaysNet?feature=watch

I cannot really provide to much of aid myself, since I have played around five MP games of Chaos Rising, and Retribution is after all these patches a very different game imo.

But, play and try to get the feel for it. This game does not come fast, but once you get the hang of it it will quickly get easier.

Check out the Project: L2P Steam group, I am sure that there are several persons there who will be happy to coach you on the basics of the game.
Thank you, I will read them when I get a chance later! Now I don't plan on getting Retribution because money is tight so I just wanted CR. Am I going to be able to play online because you said something about Retribution patches? Oh and this is my first time playing a PC game so I am unfamiliar with what Steam is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrone forever View Post
what playing style do you want to learn defense then assault or just assault?
Well that's just it-I really don't know how to play at all. I just need to know a basic How-To guide of what to do and when and then i think i will be able to find a style that suites me

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-12, 12:29 PM
I am Alpharius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androxine Vortex View Post
Am I going to be able to play online because you said something about Retribution patches?
Yes, Retribution is entirely stand alone, and does in no way affect Chaos Rising.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-12, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
Yes, Retribution is entirely stand alone, and does in no way affect Chaos Rising.
OK. And I have some quick questions I am hoping you can help me with:

-Can someone explain what Steam is? I have never used it but I know it has something to do with computer games.

-I heard that Chaos Rising is a seperate game form Dawn of War 2. When I install Chaos Rising how do i get it to "add on" to the DOW2 game? Or if I wanted to play as Chaos would I HAVE to play the Chaos Rising Expansion?

-How does "saving your progress" work? Like let's say I install it onto my computer but then I get a new laptop someday. Would i be able to take that CD and install it onto the new computer and be able to carry all of my saved data with it? If not, would it work if I just copied the data onto a flashdrive and then installed that onto the new computer?

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-12, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

I also found this quote online :

If you have Retribution, just Retribution, you get all 6 factions to date, a campaign for each(they're all similar though), and all the extra stuff in TLS and new units. This is all for just $30 US. In short, unless you want to play the older campaigns, get Retribution instead.

So would it be better to just get Retribution? I mainly just want to use the game for skirmishes and online play so I'm not too concerned about campaign. But I heard that to level up your comanders and stuff, you have to do the campaign. Can you still get all the stuff if you just do the Retribution campaign?

And when you do upgrade your commander and stuff, does that have ANY DIRECT relation to multiplayer? Like if I get all this exp in campaign and stuff does it help me out in online or skirmishes?

Thanks!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-12, 04:20 AM
I am Alpharius.

Quote:
OK. And I have some quick questions I am hoping you can help me with:

-Can someone explain what Steam is? I have never used it but I know it has something to do with computer games.

Its a piece of software. You can chat with it, buy games for dirt cheap and shit. All your Steam games are also saved there, so you can install them again without needing the disc and stuff. Only thing you really need it for though is to actually start the game, you just click "play" and the game you want starts.

-I heard that Chaos Rising is a seperate game form Dawn of War 2. When I install Chaos Rising how do i get it to "add on" to the DOW2 game? Or if I wanted to play as Chaos would I HAVE to play the Chaos Rising Expansion?

Never tried to use Chaos in Vanilla DoW, did all that stuff via Chaos Rising. The game does not add on as such, it is a separate entity in your Steam game list, but multiplayer plays together with Vanilla DoW II.

-How does "saving your progress" work? Like let's say I install it onto my computer but then I get a new laptop someday. Would i be able to take that CD and install it onto the new computer and be able to carry all of my saved data with it? If not, would it work if I just copied the data onto a flashdrive and then installed that onto the new computer?

Just download Steam on the new computer and you will be able to download all the games via Steam onto the new one.
Quote:
I also found this quote online :

If you have Retribution, just Retribution, you get all 6 factions to date, a campaign for each(they're all similar though), and all the extra stuff in TLS and new units. This is all for just $30 US. In short, unless you want to play the older campaigns, get Retribution instead.

Retribution is far superior for multiplayer and last stand purposes. It also got rid of Windows LIVE, which was a bonus. The only thing you are missing out on are the superior Campaigns from Vanilla and CR, but for replayability Retribution offers a lot more. And you get six campaigns.

So would it be better to just get Retribution? I mainly just want to use the game for skirmishes and online play so I'm not too concerned about campaign. But I heard that to level up your comanders and stuff, you have to do the campaign. Can you still get all the stuff if you just do the Retribution campaign?

There is not as much customization as there was in Vanilla and CR, but yes, your commander can level up in campaign. All the guys can. This does in no way affect anything outside of the saved game though, so no perks for MP or Last Stand.

And when you do upgrade your commander and stuff, does that have ANY DIRECT relation to multiplayer? Like if I get all this exp in campaign and stuff does it help me out in online or skirmishes?

No, it affects nothing outside of the campaign.

Thanks!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-12, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much! You have really helped me out a lot. I think I will just get Retribution because like i said, i really dont care too much for campaign im fine with just skirmishes and online.

I also played the first game and I know this one is more strategic and with fewer forces so just out of curiosity which did you like better?

If I have any other questions ill be sure to respost here. Thanks again!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode