Skyrim Questions Thread - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-12, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Default Skyrim Questions Thread

Hey everyone.

I'm not a member of any of those forums dedicated to Skyrim, and to be honest, I'd rather not join one, as I wouldn't contribute much and would only ask questions every now and then. Maybe some of you feel the same?

Basically this thread is a place where Heresy members can come and get advice from some of the more advanced Skyrim players, and discuss any problems they might be having, as I know Heresy has quite a few Skyrim players.

Feel free to contribute any questions, problems, thoughts and opinions you might have, (and hopefully help your fellow Heresy members too!). This is an open thread so its for everyone to join in and contribute to it, not just me the OP.

(When asking a question, please number it according to how many have been asked so far. For example in this OP I have asked three questions, so the next one is 4. then 5. and so on and so on. This just makes it easier to track and answer the questions being asked.

Also anything considered a 'spoiler' should be put into spoiler tags. To do that simply click the <> key on the Heresy tap and replace the word HTML with spoilers.

Anyway here are a few questions to get the ball rolling:

1. On the PC how do you write apostrophes? I want to create a Khajitt character and they use them in their names, and I can't seem to imput them. For example I would call a character Ra'Ashrim-Dar, but because I can't use and apostrophe I'm stuck. (And I'm a bit of a stickly for such things)

2. Should you avoid starting the main quest for a while? What I mean is, if you start it at level 20 as opposed to 5, do you get better leveled gear and unique items? Or should you just start it right away?

3. As a sneaky thief who uses a bow, I find myself wondering if I need to spend any perks on One Handed Blades and Light Armour. The whole point of the class is to sneak and not be seen, so I was wondering if just wearing regular clothes and enchanting them would be better? Also, whilst I do have a sword and a dagger combo, in case I get swamped, I'm just wondering if I should actively increase the perks for one-handed, or just ignore the perks and only add them to archery?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by D-A-C; 03-02-12 at 03:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-12, 12:25 AM
Jeep's and Harley's

OIIIIIIO's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
Hey everyone.

I'm not a member of any of those forums dedicated to Skyrim, and to be honest, I'd rather not join one, as I wouldn't contribute much and would only ask questions every now and then. Maybe some of you feel the same?

Basically this thread is a place where Heresy members can come and (hopefully) get advice from some of the more advanced Skyrim players, as I know Heresy has quite a few.

Feel free to contribute any questions you might have, and hopefully try and answer some peoples questions too. Also, what to do is number your questions according to how many have been asked, so its easier for people to respond to specific questions, so for example if the previous question was the 12th, yours will be the 13th. So you'll write 13. before your question.

(Oh, and anything that could be considered a spoiler should go in spoiler tags!!!)

To do that simply click the <> key on the Heresy tap and replace the word HTML with spoilers.

Anyway I have a few questions to get the ball rolling:

1. On the PC how do you write apostrophes? I want to create a Khajitt character and they use them in their names, and I can't seem to imput them. For example I would call a character Ra'Ashrim-Dar, but because I can't use and apostrophe I'm stuck. (And I'm a bit of a stickly for such things)

2. Should you avoid starting the main quest for a while? What I mean is, if you start it at level 20 as opposed to 5, do you get better leveled gear and unique items? Or should you just start it right away?

3. As a sneaky thief who uses a bow, I find myself wondering if I need to spend any perks on One Handed Blades and Light Armour. The whole point of the class is to sneak and not be seen, so I was wondering if just wearing regular clothes and enchanting them would be better? Also, whilst I do have a sword and a dagger combo, in case I get swamped, I'm just wondering if I should actively increase the perks for one-handed, or just ignore the perks and only add them to archery?

What I have done is this: I put nothing in blades at all until I had to. I put everything that I could in bows, sneak, blacksmithing and enchanting. Lets just say that by the time I was done I was one hell of a ninja with a bow. Most things died really fast at a good distance. Taking blacksmithing up opens up better equipment and arrows, atleast it did for me. I walked everywhere (sneaking) and always was in sneak mode in dungeons. If you do that your sneak will always be going up and you can actually have the Snow Elves (the blind ones ... forget what their names are right now) walk right up to you and not see you.

Light armour is the best for sneaking, and when you get your Blacksmithing up to 100 you can make Dragonscale Armour. Badass, it is, I say, quite badass. Fun game, but my God will it make you lose sleep.

Thanks guys.
That is really the only section that I have particular knowledge about. Wish I could help more.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-12, 12:44 AM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'd definitely get some light armour perks- the Assassin and Thief armours are pretty handy, especially the Nightingale armour you get during the Thief quest line (definitely the coolest armour in the game and you look like a ninja).
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-12, 01:29 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

1. AFAIK you can't use the apostrophe, have you tried looking through the mod sites to see if there's a fix for this?

2. There are certain items that are leveled, a popular one is related to the thieves guild quests. If you are really concerned about having the best stuff you should look at a wiki for 'leveled items' and it will let you know which quests you should leave until which level, but not having them isn't that much of a pain. Also there is a mod which allows your leveled items to level up with you, so if you accidentally got something too early you can use that (hurrah for PC gaming!)

3. I'd stick with light armour if you're using a bow a lot. The perk which helps your stamina regen helps a lot when using eagle eye.

Cool idea for a thread btw, we can all share our skyrim adventures of murder and wolf punching

BTW: For PC owners, you should definitely check out the Dwemer Autoblade mod......get yourself your very own Skyrim Chainsword!

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

Last edited by Varakir; 03-02-12 at 02:14 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-12, 08:11 AM

crabpuff's Flag is: USA

You could put some towards one hand blades after you work on sneak. I have stated it before sneak gives you the x15 with daggers and the Dark broother hood gives gloves that does double backstab damage with one hannded weapons. Than means 30x damage with a dagger(even if they are weak). Combine it with one-handed weapon perks later, enchanted blades and equipment, potions and you can kill almost anything if you sneak up on it even dragons. Plus you get the occasional throat slitting cut scene

Chaos- Black Legion & Steel Brethren
W:16 D:7 L:9 W:9 D:2 L:5

Eldar Dragon Claws Corsairs
W:16 D:4 L:2

Da Skull Krushaz
W:27 D:2 L:13

Space Wolves
W:14 D:0 L:3
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-12, 11:19 AM

I would say just do whatever whenever you want. Holding off to make sure you get the best levelled gear is pretty pointless really. You can get the Nightingale Armour up to the same damage reduction as a fully pimped out Daedric set. By the time you get to the end game you're an unholy killing machine. Just play the game style you want and don't worry that your Red Eagles Bane is not as levelled as it could be.

The only challenge comes from self imposed play restrictions. Like my Lawful Necromancer was a much tougher play though than my Bastard Thief.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-12, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
. Like my Lawful Necromancer was a much tougher play though than my Bastard Thief.
Is that a necromancer that only raises the dead when you have express written permission and a license signed by the local council?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-12, 02:05 PM

Well raising the dead and having them follow you around doesn't appear to be illegal or even that frowned upon. It's quite good rolling into battle with your Follower, 2 Thralls and 3 Frost Atronachs in tow.

Aramoro

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-12, 02:39 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
I would say just do whatever whenever you want.

The only challenge comes from self imposed play restrictions. Like my Lawful Necromancer was a much tougher play though than my Bastard Thief.
Well that's the answer to everything in Skyrim. Just do what you like! It is really hard to properly gimp yourself.

Self imposed restrictions are definitely a good idea, i'm having a lot more fun with my witch hunter and traveling bard doing random quests here and there.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-12, 02:57 PM

I almost gimped my Thief by getting to level 25 and only having killed one dragon, having no combat skills really and having to kill more dragons. But they are fine now.

You really have to impose your own restrictions, say you kill everyone in a Hold, absolutely everyone who can die you'll be fined 4000 gold which is such an inconsequential amount of money. You can't really claim to be a hero if you sacrificed an innocent person to claim a trinket either.

Aramoro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode