The Arkh Project. A "new" type of game? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-12, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Default The Arkh Project. A "new" type of game?

So I got linked to this tumbler yesterday about a "new" type of Indy game.

http://thearkhproject.tumblr.com/

Being big into gaming I decided to take a look and see what the hype was about.

The basic story premise of the game (which is all they seem to have at this point) seems to be a cross between Exalted (a table top game where you play divine/divinely powered beings) and Planescape: Torment (you need to recover lost memories) where you travel to different worlds modeled after real world societies, beyond the Western World. The game is meant to be a linear action RPG in terms of play style with minimum customization (both visual and stat wise).

What makes this different you ask? Well, they want to focus the game on people of color and people of gay/lesbian/transgender orientation. Not that they want to "include" them in the game (like Barret from Final Fantasy 7), but out and out make the main characters "People of Color" (how is that even a PC term?) and gay/lesbian/transgender.

Now reading through this tumbler I found myself thinking that maybe this could be an interesting game. Not because of what they think sets the game apart (I couldn't give two shits as to color and sexual orientation of characters in a game, nor am I a "person of color" or gay/lesbian/transgender) but because this is a grass roots game from a company looking to make something different for the gaming community. Considering my list of games to play this year contains a single new IP, I feel that any new "direction" for games would be a breath of life to the industry.

I figured I'd share this with people and get their ideas on the subject. Think this "type" of game is really a "new type" of game? Do you think that this type of thinking could lead to the medium (video games) expanding again? Do you find this be be an exercise in futility because most people won't care? Do you feel more grass root movements like this (fresh, start up studios not linked to a large publisher) will help or hinder gaming as a whole?

Now I'm going to put a spoiler below that contains some additional information that I did not discover till after I went through this Tumbler. Please, if your going to respond to both parts don't look at the spoiler till after you've formed your opinions on the game.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-12, 09:07 AM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

Adding LGBT or minority people in media seems like an easy way to score points and attract attention(mind that I don't have anything about that part of population in media, just against using them for creating controversy or getting attention). Like Rowling declaring that Dumbledore is gay( I haven't read books, not my cup of tea, only seen some movies, is it ever hinted or is it cheap way to attract attention?)
It has nothing to do with game quality anyway, so it just seems like a way to create controversy and hype. Mind that I'm not talking about games/movies/books that are focused on, I don't know, problems these kind of people have, misunderstanding of their environment, etc. I'm not against potrayal of LGBT characters, they are people as we all are and should be in books/games/movies, I'm just talking about putting them in for no apparent reason that to score cheap points when their sexuality is absolutely no relevant. So no, this is not new kind of game IMO.
Although I do find that grass root studios are good thing, as I'm not content with state of modern gaming. We need new new people and ideas. Let's take CD Project RED studio for example, that came out of nowhere and made great game (Witcher). Or people that made terrific Mount and Blade and all other indie creators of good games. We need more people like that, not Bioware, Activision, Ubisoft or other big publishing companies.

Last edited by Fire Tempered; 02-21-12 at 09:21 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-12, 03:24 PM
Making Vidya Games

ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

Just because your throwing in gay/transexual characters into a game does not mean its going to be a good game. And doing this as a linear RPG is not going to be any more attractive. Why? Because this industry is already flooded with shitty linear RPGs and adding gay people is not magically going to make it better.

These developers definently show signs of massive liberal butt hurt and gratious amounts of stupidity.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode