Skyrim Roleplaying Discussion / Ideas - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-12, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Default Skyrim Roleplaying Discussion / Ideas

Hey everyone.

I was just wondering how many other Skyrim players play in a manner similar to myself? (Note I haven't got the game yet sadly, but I always play RPG's like this and did it extensively on Eldar Scrolls).

How I play RPG's like Skyrim is very similar to how I play 40k, in other words, I focus on creating a great background or fluff for my characters and select a manner to play the game like being an Assassin, Sorcerer, Necromancer, etc and whether or not I'm a good character, a bad character or a Han Solo type lovable rogue. Then I really try and stick to it as much as possible.

So I was just wondering, do you RP with your characters to the extent that you forbid them to do things like fast traveling, or have them eat a meal everyday, sleep in a bed etc? If so, what sorts of things do you do?

Also if any of you want to share (spoiler free!) strategies for improving ways to roleplay with your character or share ideas for roleplays to try that you have found fun that might be great as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-12, 11:57 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

I haven't got it yet either, but I do roleplay a fair bit when I play such games...but my characters are always completionists, grinding for even the smallest item to drag back to the nearest shop.

Certainly, I don't go overboard and prevent fast travel/eat every day etc...I'd get thoroughly bored with such restrictions. I need a bit of escapism in my games, it's bad enough having to eat for myself!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-12, 12:49 PM

SGMAlice's Flag is: England

I tend to sleep every day or two, without any concious thought to it. I didn't set out to do it, i just did. It wouldn't be right if i didn't as its what people actually do.
Food on the other hand i do neglect to consume. I have never taken an interest in using the cooking pots dotted around various cities and camps. Initially i would pick up the food for HP replenishment purposes but the effects are negligible compared to potions so i abandoned that idea and just leave it.
Character wise i will decide on what i want that character to be and then choose the species best suited to the role e.g. Ork/Nord - Barbarian, Khajiit/Argonian - Thief/Assassin e.t.c.

Logical choices, Logical play. I like Logic

SGMAlice

PC/Laptop Problems? Post Here: Heresy Online's PC Hardware Help Thread
WIP Custom Chapter Fluff: The Children Of The Dragon
WIP Bio-Mechanical Tyranids: Hive Fleet Giger
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-12, 08:46 AM

I tend to choose a thread for my Character and go down that one, For instance my Breton Conjurer is a Necromancer, that's what he is. I try to avoid summoning Atronachs and prefer to Raise dead bodies, he also Honest so he won't steal anything even if that means he cannot complete a quest. Nor will he become the champion of any evil gods. Like any true adventurer he is strung out on 6 days sleep in the last 4 weeks, which probably explains some of his actions.

My Dark Elf Thief however is a thief and will thief anything from anyone if it look valuable, sometimes even if it doesn't. My signature crime is the Midnight Chef where I break into someone's house and cook all of their food, making some delicious crack fondue. Then I drink their blood, steal all their valuables and make my escape.

On top of that I try to go down a single thread without distracting myself with side quests, which never works. Like my Thief has only killed 5 or 6 Dragons by level 35 because they're still trying to become the Guild-master of the thieves guild.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-12, 11:20 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
My Dark Elf Thief however is a thief and will thief anything from anyone if it look valuable, sometimes even if it doesn't. My signature crime is the Midnight Chef where I break into someone's house and cook all of their food, making some delicious crack fondue. Then I drink their blood, steal all their valuables and make my escape.
That's hilarious!!! Hahahahaha
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-12, 11:49 AM

The role-playing element is always hard, because essentially you're role-playing an socio path.

You meet a guy in a bar, he tells you he'll give you an unspecified reward for killing some 'Bandits'. Without asking why or enquiring what the pay is you saddle up and ride out to the 'Bandit Camp' which is usually a shack or cave somewhere. You break in and start killing people who the guy in the bar assures you are 'Bandits'. Baring in mind these 'Bandits' only possess the clothes on their back and bunch of cabbages and potatoes. So you go back to the bar laden down with all the cabbages you can carry and talk to the guy he gives you 100 Gold and you never speak of those dozen brutal murders you've just carried out for him again.

Those are not the actions of a man over burdened with a heavy conscience, nor and enquiring mind.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-12, 01:14 PM

SGMAlice's Flag is: England

Indeed, but this is a game after all, not everything needs be given reason. Nor sense made.

I prefer to remain True Neutral. A term some of you are aware of, i am sure. (For those not: It harkens back to the days of D&D and for me; the original Never Winter Nights. Character Alignment was chosen from a list, one of which was True Neutral. Others included Lawful Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Evil, Lawful Good e.t.c.) As a personal choice and because most games of this type require you to do things on both sides of the apex of human morality.

Put Simply True Neutral is as follows:

Quote:
A neutral character does what seems to be a good idea. She doesn't feel strongly one way or the other when it comes to good vs. evil or law vs. chaos. Most neutral characters exhibit a lack of conviction or bias rather than a commitment to neutrality. Such a character thinks of good as better than evil-after all, she would rather have good neighbors and rulers than evil ones. Still, she's not personally committed to upholding good in any abstract or universal way. Some neutral characters, on the other hand, commit themselves philosophically to neutrality. They see good, evil, law, and chaos as prejudices and dangerous extremes. They advocate the middle way of neutrality as the best, most balanced road in the long run. Neutral is the best alignment you can be because it means you act naturally, without prejudice or compulsion. Neutral can be a dangerous alignment when it represents apathy, indifference, and a lack of conviction.
SGMAlice

PC/Laptop Problems? Post Here: Heresy Online's PC Hardware Help Thread
WIP Custom Chapter Fluff: The Children Of The Dragon
WIP Bio-Mechanical Tyranids: Hive Fleet Giger
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-12, 02:12 PM

stalarious's Flag is: Germany

Yeah dude I am with you I have a Assassin Khajitt that I am playing right my that I modeled after a fav. character from a book trilogy and I have been loving the results that come into thee game because of it.

So I am growing my enemy.....so what I gotta kill something.

CENTER][/CENTER]
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-12, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
The role-playing element is always hard, because essentially you're role-playing an socio path.

You meet a guy in a bar, he tells you he'll give you an unspecified reward for killing some 'Bandits'. Without asking why or enquiring what the pay is you saddle up and ride out to the 'Bandit Camp' which is usually a shack or cave somewhere. You break in and start killing people who the guy in the bar assures you are 'Bandits'. Baring in mind these 'Bandits' only possess the clothes on their back and bunch of cabbages and potatoes. So you go back to the bar laden down with all the cabbages you can carry and talk to the guy he gives you 100 Gold and you never speak of those dozen brutal murders you've just carried out for him again.

Those are not the actions of a man over burdened with a heavy conscience, nor and enquiring mind.
Seems like the typical capitalist swine paying the local working class scab to do his dirty work if you ask me. You should have murdered him while he lay in his fancy silk bedsheets on his mattress of money.

Then you could have 're appropriated' his possessions to the dispossessed poor who had only a few cabbages and the clothes on their back.

Viva la revolution!!!

Then, if you got sick of the poor you could execute them all in a wave of 'anti-bourgeois and kulak' Stalinist purges. Going from town to town as a Soviet NKVD agent with your Moscow derived 'quota for executions of counter-revolutionaries'.

But hey, that's just one way of interpreting things.

Anyway, a great tip for roleplay is fast travel no-where. It syncs up perfectly with games like Skyrim because there is so much to explore.

Got a quest in a far off town or village? You better saddle up with supplies, get ready to live off the land, and get into who know's what style adventures.

Then when you can afford it, get yourself a horse, and make travelling much easier.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-12, 01:32 AM

acheron187's Flag is: USA

I made a kajiht light armored warrior who I based very heavily on myself, I did not do any murdering or thieving for anyone. I helped I have yet to help any deadra beside sanguine, sheogorath, and the one who owns Barbos(which I told him to take barbos back). I've pretty much given every other one the finger, I'm basically a holy knight in a sense. I even maid up some fluff about him being a demon hunter for stendarr, I have a counter-part who is Evil in all the ways. A high elf who is a cannibal and basically reaps souls for Malogbol. As for fast travel and eating I don't really worry about that, I pretty much focus on backgrounds and storys for all my characters that all interlock.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode