South Park RPG - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-12, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Default South Park RPG

Well it was announced last year that Obsidian Entertainment are developing a South Park RPG. This hasn't got its own thread yet so I thought I'd make one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian
South Park RPG first screenshots revealed.

Our first glimpse at the madness that is Trey Parker and Matt Stone's comedy fantasy adventure...

It was with some astonishment that the world greeted last year's announcement of a South Park RPG. This would be no jokey mini-game collection, but instead a full, epic adventure developed by Obsidian Entertainment, a genre veteran with titles like Fallout: New Vegas and Neverwinter Nights 2 under its trusty belt.

In November, US magazine Game Informer ran an exclusive preview of the game, revealing that the player would control a new character arriving in the town and determined to make friends with the local kids. Your mobile phone provides the in-game menu system, while a Facebook-like site records the characters you've met and befriended.

And now we have the first screenshots, revealing the authentic vision behind the project, which has apparently been written, and closely overseen, by Trey Parker and Matt Stone. And these screens do show a remarkable similarity to the long-running show.

They also reveal some of the genre choices Obsidian has made. It seems from the preview article that the game will take and twist plenty of elements from traditional JRPGs. There will, for example, be five classes to select from: Fighter, Mage, Thief, Cleric and... Jew. "The Jew is going to be our paladin/monk type character," designer Matt MacLean told the magazine. "The current design is that he's a high-risk-high-reward character. The closer he is to death, the more powerful his abilities become. So you're strongest when you are at one hit point, but you're also just about to die." Okaaaaay.

Combat will be turn-based and viewed side-on in the classic style. It seems that you'll be in a small party (with the likes of Kyle and Butters), fighting against two or three enemies at once. Naturally, your foe will reflect the obsessions and prejudice's of the cartoon's cast hence 'gingers' and 'stupid hippies' figuring highly. Apparently soda pop will be present as a magic potion, while coffee can be drunk to increase speed during fights.

The look and feel of the series has been perfectly captured, then, and we're looking forward to seeing how the handdrawn animations add to the authenticity. According to VG247, the studio also created its own dynamic lip-syncing tool so that script changes could easily be incorporated into the game. Furthermore, they were supplied with 15 years worth of art assets and a style guide indicating the correct colours and texture to use.

So, yes, it looks like South Park the game will be utilising and no doubt lampooning plenty of RPG archetypes as well as parodying games in general a la the famed Make Love, Not Warcraft episode. It's definitely the interactive comedic cartoon tie-in that's interested me most since the awesome Simpsons Cartoon Studio, released on the PC back in 1996...

South Park: The Game is due out in the second half of 2012 on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.
Thoughts and opinions? Discuss.

Regards,
Jake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-12, 03:46 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Corsairs View Post
Thoughts and opinions?
Meh.

10 limit.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-12, 05:30 PM
description whore

deathbringer's Flag is: England

oh baby oh baby oh baby, sometimes your day just brightens

kudos to lillian thorne for the awesome sig
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-12, 05:28 AM

Anfo's Flag is: USA

I don't know what to think of this. I've always loved South Park, but making a game sounds bad.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-12, 05:40 AM

CraftworldSurathin's Flag is: USA

This sounds great as a $10-$15 downloadable title, ala Castle Crashers. But as a full blown $40-$60 release? I'm not so sure.

I have a sizable Eldar force, but now I'm building Space Wolves for 6th. Thinking of doing it as a Project Log, please message me w/tips, ideas, or just things you'd like to see!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-12, 10:04 PM

acheron187's Flag is: USA

why is obsidian making this, after fallout:NV I thought we would be seeing a new fallout. Instead we get a southpark RPG, not that the game is automatically gonna suck. I just don't get the humor of southpark.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-12, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acheron187 View Post
why is obsidian making this, after fallout:NV I thought we would be seeing a new fallout. Instead we get a southpark RPG, not that the game is automatically gonna suck. I just don't get the humor of southpark.
Obsidian only had the license to do 1 Fallout game. Bethesda will be doing the next Fallout (Fallout 4). After that the future of Fallout is as of yet unknown (unless the legal dispute between Bethesda and Interplay has been resolved). Bethesda originally purchased the rights to keep create and publish 3 Fallout games (creating Fallout 3, publishing Fallout: New Vegas and creating Fallout 4). They later purchased the entire franchise, and Interplay licensed back from Bethesda the rights to a Fallout MMORPG (Fallout Online).

Quote:
There is currently a legal dispute underway in which Interplay claim that Bethesda breached their contract regarding Fallout Online, and so their later contract is null and void. If Interplay's counter-claim is successful, the companies would revert to their previous contract, whereby Bethesda only has the rights to publish one more Fallout game - Fallout 4.
So if Interplay are successful Bethesda will only be doing Fallout 4. If Interplay are not successful we will likely see a continuation of the Fallout series by Bethesda alongside the Elder Scrolls series. Why I have blabbered on about this crap I don't know, because either way, Obsidian will not be making another Fallout game.

Regards,
Jake.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-12, 10:23 AM

cain the betrayer's Flag is: Netherlands

I have mixed feeling about this game, I love south park but i'm afraid that they will fuck it up gamewise. But i do hope that if they finish it they they have included everyones favourite forest (satanic) critters to cheer everything up.

Check out my warriors of chaos log here

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode