SW:TOR....worth investing in? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-10-12, 07:37 PM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

the guild that Azkelleon is running is on Beregen Colony. but im sure others are spread around other servers.

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-12, 04:37 AM
Banned
Azkaellon's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhainiteAssassin View Post
the guild that Azkelleon is running is on Beregen Colony. but im sure others are spread around other servers.
Ya and where one of the top geared guilds....sadly lol
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-12, 12:50 PM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
im sorry Jez, but the world disagrees with you. you didnt like it, thats your opinion. there are many of us who love this game, its not a borefest like EVE, and its more mature then WoW.
The world is full of retards who think fetching droid parts then going back to the trader that wants them is fun.

Honestly man, thats essentially all this game is. You log in and spend the next few hours working as a paperboy for free. Infact, its worse than working for free... you have to pay them to be a delivery boy...

If that's your idea of fun I question your social life.

This is wow with laser guns and a few cut sequences. Graphically its dire, it's cartoony and riding on the Star Wars IP. If it was called Space Paper Boy and wasn't set in the Star Wars universe do you think it would of got anywhere?

Last edited by Jezlad; 01-11-12 at 12:53 PM.
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-12, 02:29 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
The world is full of retards who think fetching droid parts then going back to the trader that wants them is fun.

Honestly man, thats essentially all this game is. You log in and spend the next few hours working as a paperboy for free. Infact, its worse than working for free... you have to pay them to be a delivery boy...

This is wow with laser guns and a few cut sequences. Graphically its dire, it's cartoony and riding on the Star Wars IP. If it was called Space Paper Boy and wasn't set in the Star Wars universe do you think it would of got anywhere?
That is basically the formula for all quest based games. Guy tells you do to something, you go do it, you go back and he gives you some xp and money that sounds like he's giving you a lot but really is just paltry change. If your down on that then the entire formula of games that have quests and side-quests is what your criticising.

And the story is of course the main draw. That is true of all games, except CoD which is just the game version of a medieval whore. They doll up an ugly game with bright colours and flashy options and sell it to you at a mark-up, and most tend to be sucked in by those features and not realise that they are playing the same game they bought last year and it wasn't good then and its no better now.

In the end its the story that draws people to this game and others. The Old Republic is my favourite game atm and will likely be my favourite game for a long time. Its the one game i've played where I actually want to see everything and do everything because its that much fun. Other games like this, i'd be so focused on seeing a cutscene or getting high-end armour that i'm barely paying attention to what is happening because its that boring. The Old Republic has not bored me once, not once.

LotN

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-12, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post

you obviously dont enjoy RPGs then, as there are many RPGs out there with random 'fetch' quests that could be, under some minds, been seen as nothing better then a paperboy too. Thus, why are you even trying to play a game thats not for you since you seem to not enjoy the very basis of how the gameplay works?

What is one of the biggest points to the Star Wars universe, STORY, what has bioware done better then any other company ever, STORY. if you skip that story, and focus your mind on what this game has in common with others, WoW being at the forefront of it. or how this game is similar to being a paperboy, then you will never see the big picture.

Point being, you didnt enjoy the game, thats your choice, many people around the world disagree. and we, at the current time, live in a democratic society where aslong as everything is on the level, MAJORITY rules.

My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-12, 04:26 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

With the amount of money they put into developing this game, we should have seen more things. There is alot who enjoy the game and then there are players who play this still cause its new and they still havent reached top lvl. But it still is same old formula and Bioware didnt seem to want take any risks of actually evolve this basic lvl based game. I wonder where did all money go, voice acting?

If we compare it to WoW which is game that mostly know of, this game doesnt really have so much new things. You get companions which craft, you get space minigame, you get some small decisions during dialogue to make but thats not much. You still are in same basic world design where game directly guides you all the way to max level.

I know quite many of you, and by many i think almost all started MMO gameplay when WoW came out, have hardly any MMO game experience outside the "standard" WoW formula. Game had me on for almost 2 years and i played it alot since before that i didnt touch lvl based MMO games for atleast 1.5 years. There have been so many aspects of gameplay options in different MMOs last 10 years that seems that SWTOR only wanted to take things from WoW and from not many other games.

This game is basically were you total SW fanboy or not, just glorified singleplayer multiplayer game without the Massive element. You can twist that word back and forth as much as you like but if this game would take out the SW skin and things from it, how many would play this for gameplay only? Hardly not many.

I was real sceptic when this game out and reason i mostly bought this was because of my gaming buddies, but already many of them are saying that after max lvl, what is there to do? Raids? Better go back to WoW if you want raids, since there are more options. PvP? Since mostly goal of PvP is to get tokens which reward you just better gear so you PvP next time even better with maybe +5% more damage, which again leads to next item. Wheres the goal?

Im sorry you can pullout numbers that how many players still play this game all you want, but main thing is that people are playing this game because its Star Wars and was made by Bioware. Soon first free month for many people is over and then we can see some real numbers. And who cares about numbers really? Only players who use that for weak excuse and some who have no experience of other games. They just looked at WoW as model and bypassed many other smaller MMOs which had these small things that could have been added to this game and make it even better.

You cannot compare MMORPG game to other games, cause you pay subscription fee. If gameplay in other is way too similar to other which has years of content, why would you play this game more than 1-2 months and after you seen endgame which is too similar, how many months will you continue? Just because its Star Wars, maybe but i doubt it.

Can you say what makes this game so special that it warrated atleast twice the amount it took to make WoW and what new elements have been added to it, not just things taken of from earlier games and polished. What makes this game so special without Star Wars theme? Game is ok but not good and i would rate this in MMO standards maybe slightly over average.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-12, 04:35 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninman View Post
I wonder where did all money go, voice acting?
I think you answered your own question.

I would not give a flying fuck about the game if it was not Star Wars, that is true, and it is also the reason I will play the living shit out of it.

It is popular cause it is Star Wars, but then again, would World of Warcraft have turned as successful had it not been based on Warcraft? I doubt it.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-12, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Can you say what makes this game so special that it warrated atleast twice the amount it took to make WoW and what new elements have been added to it, not just things taken of from earlier games and polished. What makes this game so special without Star Wars theme? Game is ok but not good and i would rate this in MMO standards maybe slightly over average.
you rate the most boring auto grind MMO in the universe, EVE, highly though.

what makes this game special? it doesnt need to be special, thats what everyone seems to miss out on, 'special' games are not the popular ones, This game does not Cater to any single Niche Market, which is why it will suceed. other games can keep their 'specialities' like EVE. Id rather not play another boring ass auto gather game like that, ever again.

My armies.

post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-12, 07:15 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
you rate the most boring auto grind MMO in the universe, EVE, highly though.

what makes this game special? it doesnt need to be special, thats what everyone seems to miss out on, 'special' games are not the popular ones, This game does not Cater to any single Niche Market, which is why it will suceed. other games can keep their 'specialities' like EVE. Id rather not play another boring ass auto gather game like that, ever again.
You are totally lost on your comments. You didnt say nothing whats good about this game and just give some numbers game cause alot players like its the best. Guess what? SWTOR is right now very popular on different MMO player forums but many have already said it wont stay much. And your excuse of EVE is downright laughable, you dont know much about that game either. Guess what, game has elements which i dont like that much that i would play it every single much, but as whole it deserves all praise it has gotten so far. Ive never hidden fact that i hate WoW as of now, but i can still say its quite ok game on its category.

I guess if you ever tried Eve you were tackling it mostly singleplayer as more mainstream MMO players do now and someone game blew your ship under your butt. Just tell me how long you played Eve, cant be more than trial period as that is game which opens up in time, not these that catch you buy balls when you start playing and gets old within month or two. I understand that Huttball might be the epitomy of MMO pvp for you, but there are games that PvP elements are centric to game, everything affects others and not just new helmet you were given from your next level again and again.

There are players which think Eve is boring, there are also players who think SWTOR is boring. You still havent gotten any substantial info why game is so great or nothing to this thread. You just brought out same number games, "this game has more players blabla" like everyone who is totally lost. Game is very popular now and i want it to succeed, but it has to carve its own gameplay elements to remain succesfull.

Atleast Doelago said truth, it is Star Wars game.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-12, 10:50 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
This game is basically were you total SW fanboy or not, just glorified singleplayer multiplayer game without the Massive element. You can twist that word back and forth as much as you like but if this game would take out the SW skin and things from it, how many would play this for gameplay only? Hardly not many.
Most things are greater then the sum of their parts. WoW might not have generated the following it did if it didn't have the name Warcraft attached to it. WoW's gameplay wasn't even that unique as Everquest 2 had similar (and IMO better) gameplay and they launched around the same time (only 2-3 weeks apart, with EQ2 launching first). What won out for WoW was the Warcraft name.

Quote:
I was real sceptic when this game out and reason i mostly bought this was because of my gaming buddies, but already many of them are saying that after max lvl, what is there to do? Raids? Better go back to WoW if you want raids, since there are more options. PvP? Since mostly goal of PvP is to get tokens which reward you just better gear so you PvP next time even better with maybe +5% more damage, which again leads to next item. Wheres the goal?
MMO's only have the goal of advancing your character. When playing an MMO you are trying to enhance your characters power in some way, be it PVE or PVP. As for the statement that if you want raids you should go back to WoW, I could make the same statement about Everquest 1. It's got WAY more end game Raid content options then WoW.

People that think a MMO released in 2011 is going to have as much or more content as a MMO that has been around for 7 years (and 3 expansions) are fooling themselves.

Quote:
Im sorry you can pullout numbers that how many players still play this game all you want, but main thing is that people are playing this game because its Star Wars and was made by Bioware. Soon first free month for many people is over and then we can see some real numbers. And who cares about numbers really? Only players who use that for weak excuse and some who have no experience of other games. They just looked at WoW as model and bypassed many other smaller MMOs which had these small things that could have been added to this game and make it even better.
Again, the argument can be made that Warcraft only became as popular as it was because they used the Warcraft licence and it was made by Blizzard. That's why most people picked it up, as the game was not as unique as people claim upon release.

Quote:
You cannot compare MMORPG game to other games, cause you pay subscription fee. If gameplay in other is way too similar to other which has years of content, why would you play this game more than 1-2 months and after you seen endgame which is too similar, how many months will you continue? Just because its Star Wars, maybe but i doubt it.
Well, why buy a new Fifa as opposed to PES or Madden as opposed to NFL 2K (when it was out) or Call of Duty as opposed to Battlefield? Why buy new games in a franchise that releases yearly? Why play any new MMO at all when the older games always have more content?

By your logic, once the first Fifa or Madden released no other football (Euro or American) should have been released ever, as they would be too similar to earlier versions of the same game.

And to be fair when WoW released it had 1 end game raid. That was ALL the true end game content (read: max level) it had. There were other places to go, but they were designed to be done before the level cap, the highest level instance/mini raid (Black Rock Spire) was designed to be done from 55-60. Warcraft didn't gain any other true raid content until BWL, ZG, AQ20/40, and Nax were patched in.

Quote:
WoW didn't so much add new elements to gameplay for MMO's as much as it polished elements from games such as Everquest and DAoC. Considering that what made WoW such a special game without the Warcraft theme? Not much, as without the Warcraft theme I (for one) would have had 0 interest in the game.

Your argument makes you sound like you're some kind of video gaming elitist, where you are trying to make the claim that aspects/elements of WoW are objectively good, while using the same aspects/elements in SWTOR makes the game objectively bad.

Now I'm not saying SWTOR is this amazing game that everyone should play. Truth be told I would MUCH rather have had KotOR III as opposed SWTOR, but as far as MMO's go the game is a solid choice.

Last edited by Wusword77; 01-11-12 at 11:16 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode