Skyrim Character Choices - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-02-12, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

SGMAlice's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade View Post
Unless you played an previous elderscroll, then this game sucks.

Really, Yareally.

To sum it up in a chaotic order.
The difficulty doesn't scale, if anyone went for exploring instead of main mission will know that there is a a very visible line between where a few wolfs will tickle you and where a sabercat will horrendously maul you.
Being a mage isn't going to work because there is *per tree* 5 spells, that you can't upgrade except sinking a few tier points in it so your max damage is capped in no time, i am pretty low level and still i managed to do more damage with a sword then magic.
Speaking of magic, every "fun" or "handy" spell is gone, no open lock, no fortitude, no reflect, no absorbsion.
There is no sush things as "rare" items anymore, if you had to travel the world to find a set of full glass armor in morrowind (and even then, glass armor was *common*, goodluck heavy armor users with your ebony or daedric) you kind find it in no time in oblivion, or if you want to take the time, build it yourself. Also the ultrarare deadric quests are too easy to find, in this household we find about all of them.
The map is pretty small, you can walk from one end to another in about a hour.

And i am not even starting about the easy of enchanting, the clonky interface and the fact that there are very obvious and gamebreaking bugs that basically make the game unplayable like the *magic struck in right hand bug* (you can't change magic in your right hand, no, you need to first favorite a item, then assign a hotkey to it, click the hotkey to equip it to your left hand, then again to switch it over to the right, thats the only way to change), the fact that the gameplay is supereasy if you abuse the fact that most enemies are standing still when slashing and you just have to walk backwards OR powerattack rangers to knock them down, the utter downngrade in complexity from previous elderscrolls, and the only suggestion i can give is try before you buy.

Is the game enjoyable, yes, it is, is the game good, maybe, is it a elders scroll, ohh hell no.
I'll thank you not to derail this thread into 'fanboy'-ish ranting. Skyrim has its faults but this is not a thread to discuss them, make your own if you want.

Its for Character sharing and any help if people need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Tempered View Post
I guess he went with light armor smithing path as did I with my first char.
My first char was Nord, lvl 48, with maxed sneak, light armor, smithing, one handed, lockpicking. Using dual swords and daggers (i like to use unique weapons so I used Dragobane and Chillrend)
I wanted to max enchant, but then i got bored at 88 because i've spent around 120 hours with this char and finished all storylines and daedric quests and lot of other stuff.

I made second char which will be heavy armor/shield guy, but I haven't played Skyrim for almost a month now. For some reason I found it boring to do all the quests and stuff again.
I dont see how, i went that way too, he also has Dragonscale armor, one Perk Point more to get it is easy enough.

Sneaky Nord those guys are huge!

SGMAlice

PC/Laptop Problems? Post Here: Heresy Online's PC Hardware Help Thread
WIP Custom Chapter Fluff: The Children Of The Dragon
WIP Bio-Mechanical Tyranids: Hive Fleet Giger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-03-12, 12:08 AM

Darkblade's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMAlice View Post
I'll thank you not to derail this thread into 'fanboy'-ish ranting. Skyrim has its faults but this is not a thread to discuss them, make your own if you want.

Its for Character sharing and any help if people need it.
Then it's also not for recommending it to someone else, and desribing the good points of a game. Can't have one without the other. Also, most of the things i said you can take into your character, aka, Dont plan on using magic in the long run.

Anyway, beginners character tips and help?

At the start of the game, think about becoming a Nord, a Breton or a Kjahit. With the normal STR, DEX and so forth bonuses gone and the skill bonusses are pretty easy to level out to, the racial bonuses are next to looks about the only things to look out for. The Nords ice and the bretons permanent resistance are things that helps alot in the game. The Kjahit's racial skill that makes his claw do damage deserves a special mention as it's the worlds most powerfull *unenchanted* melee weapon, in combination with the right heavy skills.

Don't forget that nonmages can easely do the Winterhold College (mages guild) quest, all it require is some money to buy one spell. All magic effects you can do with magery is also findable in staves,(exception would be conjuration spells). It is very possible to make a fighter tyoe of character and do your wizardry with scrolls and staves only. Doing the winterhold mission is also a easy way to get some good fighter loot and a good home and companions.

Don't forget to look arround in a house after you done a quest, many previously "steal" items will turn into freely grabbable when a quest is finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobss, the troll that can't be pitchforked
Wanna know why I didn't '*** off'? Because I didn't get banned. Wanna know why I didn't get banned? 'Cause I'm **** awesome.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade and Grish, long time ago on a old chat
<Darkblade> first thing people do is sniffing the new book like a addict sniffs a new line
*Grish stops smelling his new BRB
<Grish> <_<
<Grish> >_>

post #23 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-03-12, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Then it's also not for recommending it to someone else, and desribing the good points of a game. Can't have one without the other. Also, most of the things i said you can take into your character, aka, Dont plan on using magic in the long run.
I merely answered his question. None of it was opinion.

SGMAlice

post #24 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-03-12, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moswantd407 View Post
I completed oblivion with the cloth pajamas you find at the beginning. I simply completed the first few quests for mages guild, spammed a few spells for about 10 minutes, bought a invisibility spell, and enchanted 5 pieces of equipment with 20% invisibility. Beat all questlines in approximately 6 hours. RPG speedrun FTW.
Yes I am quoting myself

Oblivion couldn't make you overpowered with exploits like Skyrim?

~ 5000 points of space marines and almost 3000 points of dark eldar

"Wise men don't need advice and fools do not take it"
post #25 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-03-12, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by D-A-C
Would you recommend this game? I'm thinking of getting it for PC, but I'm just curious if once you reach 100 in the various stats is it game over?

I know the game doesn't stop, but are you basically invincible or are there still dangers?

Quote:
As far as i can remember; the strength of the enemies rises in proportion to your own, except when enchanting/smithing over normal limits i.e. with Elixirs of Blacksmith/Enchanter but that can only go so far and in no way breaks the game. I still use plenty of potions and the odd scroll.

The game is well worth buying. I like, like many others, have put hundreds of hours into this game and have yet to complete it.
Take my Khajiit character for instance: Lvl41 - 80+ Hours of play and still only on the eigth main quest of eighteen in total.
With hundreds, maybe even thousands, of quest in total, this is not a game you will get bored of.
There are also multiple mods and support from Bethsoft is medium/slow in coming but does its job for the most part.

Buy it, you will not be disappointed.

SGMAlice
Quote:
I merely answered his question. None of it was opinion.

SGMAlice
LOLWUT FLAMEWAR BAIT

The answer to D-A-C first question, The strength increases linear with your actual level, and yes, you can be practically invincible by having good items but a low level, and yes, you can practically ruin your game by leveling your noncombat skills but not your combat skill. If all skills are level 100, then yes, your level is capped.

The second part, unless you' re a omnipotent god, is purely your view as player I.E. a opinion and not a fact. That you're kjahit is level 41+ and you just did 8 of the main questlines has more to do with you then anything else, seeing as i am level 30ish and did the main, the winterhold, and about a dozen minor quests. Also, you know just as well that there is hundreds, if not thousands of go here, collect item, go there quests in the random quest generator.

You said the game is well worth buying, wich is again, your opinion, and gave information about why. I merely stated the game is so-so, and gave information about it.

Quote:
Wanna know why I didn't '*** off'? Because I didn't get banned. Wanna know why I didn't get banned? 'Cause I'm **** awesome.'
Quote:
<Darkblade> first thing people do is sniffing the new book like a addict sniffs a new line
<Grish> <_<
<Grish> >_>

post #26 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-03-12, 02:27 AM

You know those people that hate on widely recognized masterpieces just so they can stand out and seem interesting? what do you personally think of those people? Do you feel as though they should go and find another reason to be interesting instead of just taking the opposite point of view?

I am not implying anything at all.

~ 5000 points of space marines and almost 3000 points of dark eldar

"Wise men don't need advice and fools do not take it"
post #27 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-03-12, 02:40 AM
bobss's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by moswantd407 View Post
You know those people that hate on widely recognized masterpieces just so they can stand out and seem interesting? what do you personally think of those people? Do you feel as though they should go and find another reason to be interesting instead of just taking the opposite point of view?

I am not implying anything at all.
Drop the passive attitude. If you have a problem with the previous poster then confront it instead of hiding behind vague implications. If you disagree with points Darkblade has raised, then quote, analyse and refute those points to the best of your ability.

More importantly, you haven't even provided a reason as to why you're portraying Darkblade as the villain here. You've provided a few generalisations that you've failed to apply to this situation, in what appears to be a bizarre way of gaining the higher position amongst the community. That's known as Poisoning the Well. Your own post lacks substance and therefore has empowered him more so because of your inability to form a relevant post addressing the matter at hand.
post #28 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-03-12, 07:48 AM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
The difficulty doesn't scale, if anyone went for exploring instead of main mission will know that there is a a very visible line between where a few wolfs will tickle you and where a sabercat will horrendously maul you.
That is a good thing and was entirely intentional by the dev team. As a whole, other than giant camps or encounters you're unlikely to come across anything major on the lowlands. After all, why would you? This is an actively farmed place covered in a culture of hunters.
Climb a mountain, though, and all bets are off. Ever wondered why you're running into a frost troll so early? That's why, kids. Light headedness ain't the only thing in the mountains.

It was a conscious design decision to improve the risk/reward factor of exploring that Oblivion completely lacked by having scaling world enemies. What's more, it works. Odds are that you're not going to be able to pick up a free full set of Glass by soullessly grinding and running into that bandit camp just outside Whiterun, because that would break the game. No, if you want that armour? You'd fucking well better work for it, 'cos you're going to need to. Welcome to real RPGs, where the game isn't made to make it just a little bit too easy all the time so you keep buying DLC.

Shit, that's like saying Fallout 2 was bad because you'd sometimes have an encounter where you ran into a Deathclaw family on your first journey from your tribe. (Hint: Fallout 2 is NEVER bad.)

post #29 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-03-12, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
That is a good thing and was entirely intentional by the dev team. As a whole, other than giant camps or encounters you're unlikely to come across anything major on the lowlands. After all, why would you? This is an actively farmed place covered in a culture of hunters.
Climb a mountain, though, and all bets are off. Ever wondered why you're running into a frost troll so early? That's why, kids. Light headedness ain't the only thing in the mountains.

It was a conscious design decision to improve the risk/reward factor of exploring that Oblivion completely lacked by having scaling world enemies. What's more, it works. Odds are that you're not going to be able to pick up a free full set of Glass by soullessly grinding and running into that bandit camp just outside Whiterun, because that would break the game. No, if you want that armour? You'd fucking well better work for it, 'cos you're going to need to. Welcome to real RPGs, where the game isn't made to make it just a little bit too easy all the time so you keep buying DLC.

Shit, that's like saying Fallout 2 was bad because you'd sometimes have an encounter where you ran into a Deathclaw family on your first journey from your tribe. (Hint: Fallout 2 is NEVER bad.)
Again, there you imply that rare armor/weapons is hard to find, and i am still sorry to say that it ain't. I've found dwarven, elven, orc and ebony items before i went to whiterun, and enough dwarven metal bars to make a armor. Secondly, i was talking about the line that divide where wolves spawn, and where the snow sabrecat spawns. This "line" divides the map in the middle. One step over this line means inviting a slapping that can come from literally everywhere, and if the game is so kind, from more then one cat too. A frost troll or wispmotherencounter is easy compared to them, in my opinion. Especially, as in case with the deathclaw family encounter, you have a viable chance to run away from them, while in sabercats case, they aggro long before you can see them.

Basically, beginners tip - don't rush to the top half of the map.

Quote:
Quote:
<Grish> <_<
<Grish> >_>

post #30 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-03-12, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Obviously my words were misunderstood, be intentionally or not. I had no intention of starting a 'flamewar', the idea or intent was never there. If you wish to turn it into one, i again ask that you take it to another thread.

SGMAlice

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode