Undercut By Steam? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-11, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Undercut By Steam?

Hey everyone.

This is kind of a rant thread, but not really, I mean its hard to get mad when you are constantly being handed 25-50% off of games but ...

Has anybody else ever purchased anything off of steam, only to have it be deal of the day/week?

I recently saw Shogun 2 and all its DLC for abou 21 all in and considering the game alone is 29.99 I went ahead and bought it. Well, surprise, surprise guess what was deal of the day ... Shogun 2. Everything all in is (currently!) around 12.

Now going from 21 to 12 isn't a disaster, but it is frustrating that the deal occurred within at most 36 hours (that's being genrous) of my original purchase.

Now, like I said, it's hard to get really mad when steam offers such great deals and removes the need for buying hard copy discs of games, but has anyone else had this type of thing happen to them? Maybe even worse than I just had it?

It just annoys me a bit, and kind of makes me weary about buying anything on steam other than deals of the day/week/month. I'm starting to get the attitude of waiting until games are on special before ver buying them, which maybe isn't a bad thing, but seems like a bit of a silly policy for steam to practically encourage.

What do you all think, and like I said, have you ever purchased anything on steam only to have it be on special straight away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-11, 09:42 AM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Well, since it is this X-mas sale right now, it would probably have been safe to wait and see if it gets a discount?

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-11, 09:54 AM

SGMAlice's Flag is: England

Unfortunate timing, it happens. As Doelago says: given its almost january and all, its better to wait, at least for the moment, before you buy any.

Steam sucks Donkeys!

SGMAlice

PC/Laptop Problems? Post Here: Heresy Online's PC Hardware Help Thread
WIP Custom Chapter Fluff: The Children Of The Dragon
WIP Bio-Mechanical Tyranids: Hive Fleet Giger

Last edited by SGMAlice; 12-30-11 at 10:02 AM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-11, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
Well, since it is this X-mas sale right now, it would probably have been safe to wait and see if it gets a discount?
The worst thing was, when I bought it, I thought it was the discount lol.

Everything including the DLC was 50% off, but then today it has jumped to 75% off.

Its going to start getting so bad that I become a discount snob .... "What? A 25% discount? That's not a real discount" lol.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-11, 09:59 AM

khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: lived on tyran, moved to occulus, then to macragge.DAMN THE TYRANIDS!!! (near derby)

i love steams deals, i dont usually go out to buy games but if i see something i like for cheap, i get it. is a brillient policy for steam

P.S that reminds me to check steam, thanks

40Kprayers and benedictions

see my guard army here

see my Empire army
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-11, 10:45 AM

effigy22's Flag is: United Kingdom

This is how a i felt when 24 hours after i bought it Gamestation halved the price of Skyrim.

I was lucky enough i didnt open the game though so got a full refund and bought it again at half price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Don't, after rolling that final 1 too many, flip out, climb up on the table and jump up and down on your opponent's models screaming 'APOCALYPTIC BARRAGE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!'.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-11, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effigy22 View Post
This is how a i felt when 24 hours after i bought it Gamestation halved the price of Skyrim.

I was lucky enough i didnt open the game though so got a full refund and bought it again at half price
I don't have Steam however the above happened to me also, I however, wasn't quite so lucky with the refund

It happens quite often with me, especially this time of the year. You'd have thought I'd have learnt my lesson by now

Regards,
Jake.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-11, 12:23 PM

Karak The Unfaithful's Flag is: Great Britain

Borderlands was only 10, however my instinct told me to wait.

So i did, within two days it was 5.

Slow and steady saves the most money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klomster View Post
Ok, doing good gentlemen.
(Except Karak, you are not really a gentleman, but more brutal.... a brutalman )
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-11, 05:32 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well the first time I've bought off steam has been this week in the 75-80% off sale I doubt I'll have this issue... and the obvious tactic of only buying things when they are the deal of the week could probably avoid disappointment

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode