A little rant about video games... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-11, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Making Vidya Games

ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

Default A little rant about video games...

So the other day I was talking to some old buddies from High School, delving into the subjects of man-jokes and old shenanigans that we used to execute after school. And being the geeks we are, within a few minutes we got onto the subject of video games (like all guys who love explosions and killing aliens). Anyhow, after a few minutes of talking about our greatest gaming moments of virtual violance I came to the realization that all of our past glories in front of the computer screen have been through games prior to 2002. Seriously, we talked about Diablo ½, Age of Empires II, Doom, Warcraft 2, and so on and so on. After some more pseudo pondering, I also came to a second realization that I haven’t bought a game (along with actually seriously playing it) since Medieval II Total War.

These two conclusions along with my picky game attitude made me admit that most games take themselves way too dam seriously. Meaning they feel more like a teenage life style rather than just a game.

I’m going to start out and say that I own DoW II and have played it long enough to earn the right to nitpick it. I remember what it felt like when I first started up the skirmish (fuck the campaign). It was all new and shiny, the movement of the game and the combat were captivating and the multiplayer experience was at first enjoyable. But within two weeks I bagged the game because it sort of repelled me away. How so? Well first off it lost its charm and ooo-aww effect incredibly fast, meaning that its flaws and somewhat hashed game experience began to glare out at me too fast and too boldly. The CPU was dedicated to only capturing points and not actually fighting, the super-duper seriousness of the game play was almost at times silly, the pathfinding at times was a little off, the online gaming community was fanatic at times (meaning that they would treat this game as seriously as Brazilians treat soccer or Koreans with Starcraft), and a whole slew of little bugs that peeved me. Plus with the predicable campaign in which it took itself waaaayyy to seriously, the game felt less like a game and more like pseudo serious sport.

But how does this compare to the older games of the early years? Well first off let me state that the first difference was that the games of yesterday (with a few exceptions) were really more like games rather than lifestyles. An example like this I would present would have to be Age of Empires II. The first thing I noticed is that it took itself seriously enough as to prove themselves as legit as possible, but at the same time gave me the warm feeling that it was still a game. While DoW II gave me the impression that you were forced to play this was and strategy to win, AoE II gave me the impression that ‘you could play this strategy to win with this civilization’ or you could make a bajjillion paladins. Sure that took the so called strategy out of the game in some sense, but holy fuck was it funny and flat out fun. Even more interesting was that when I played online the community as well understood that this was a game, meaning that while most matches were mostly serious, some of them just devolved into a fun-filled spam fest of absurdity.

Of course I’m going to expect arms and resentment to what I had just said and I honestly going to say that this little rant is in no way intended to create a flame war or trolling thread. But my conclusion is that I feel like games today have lost their charms and honesty as being games and have transformed instead into something serious like the NFL or Soccer… which is absurd from my view.

Rail against this if you want, but that’s just my two cents.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-11, 01:08 AM

ThoseKrazyKasrkin's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy View Post
So the other day I was talking to some old buddies from High School, delving into the subjects of man-jokes and old shenanigans that we used to execute after school. And being the geeks we are, within a few minutes we got onto the subject of video games (like all guys who love explosions and killing aliens). Anyhow, after a few minutes of talking about our greatest gaming moments of virtual violance I came to the realization that all of our past glories in front of the computer screen have been through games prior to 2002. Seriously, we talked about Diablo ½, Age of Empires II, Doom, Warcraft 2, and so on and so on. After some more pseudo pondering, I also came to a second realization that I haven’t bought a game (along with actually seriously playing it) since Medieval II Total War.

Ahh memories. Best games i can remember. Im sure im not as old as you (19) but i certainly remember all of those.

These two conclusions along with my picky game attitude made me admit that most games take themselves way too dam seriously. Meaning they feel more like a teenage life style rather than just a game.

Exactly

I’m going to start out and say that I own DoW II and have played it long enough to earn the right to nitpick it. I remember what it felt like when I first started up the skirmish (fuck the campaign). It was all new and shiny, the movement of the game and the combat were captivating and the multiplayer experience was at first enjoyable. But within two weeks I bagged the game because it sort of repelled me away. How so? Well first off it lost its charm and ooo-aww effect incredibly fast, meaning that its flaws and somewhat hashed game experience began to glare out at me too fast and too boldly. The CPU was dedicated to only capturing points and not actually fighting, the super-duper seriousness of the game play was almost at times silly, the pathfinding at times was a little off, the online gaming community was fanatic at times (meaning that they would treat this game as seriously as Brazilians treat soccer or Koreans with Starcraft), and a whole slew of little bugs that peeved me. Plus with the predicable campaign in which it took itself waaaayyy to seriously, the game felt less like a game and more like pseudo serious sport.

Exactly how i feel about DOW II. I hate people who take games too seriously too. I mean i get into it sometimes and can be competitive, but at the end of the day i lost or gained nothing by winning or losing.

But how does this compare to the older games of the early years? Well first off let me state that the first difference was that the games of yesterday (with a few exceptions) were really more like games rather than lifestyles. An example like this I would present would have to be Age of Empires II. The first thing I noticed is that it took itself seriously enough as to prove themselves as legit as possible, but at the same time gave me the warm feeling that it was still a game. While DoW II gave me the impression that you were forced to play this was and strategy to win, AoE II gave me the impression that ‘you could play this strategy to win with this civilization’ or you could make a bajjillion paladins. Sure that took the so called strategy out of the game in some sense, but holy fuck was it funny and flat out fun. Even more interesting was that when I played online the community as well understood that this was a game, meaning that while most matches were mostly serious, some of them just devolved into a fun-filled spam fest of absurdity.

Exactly. An all time multiplayer calassic.

Of course I’m going to expect arms and resentment to what I had just said and I honestly going to say that this little rant is in no way intended to create a flame war or trolling thread. But my conclusion is that I feel like games today have lost their charms and honesty as being games and have transformed instead into something serious like the NFL or Soccer… which is absurd from my view.

Rail against this if you want, but that’s just my two cents.

'Luck is the residue of design.' - John Milton

'Let the world tremble as it senses all you are about to accomplish.' - Luís de Camões
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-11, 01:42 AM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Default Rant???questionmark???????

Me? Im definitely younger than both of you. But, I still love old games. I used to play Age of Empires III, I played civilization for a while (not sure which one), Warcraft III, and Starcraft I. Now I play Starcraft II and Skyrim... when I play anything. But I rarely have time. The most fun games have been SC1, but that because I dont care about winning in that game. I play with like 5 people at my high school, and we are all terrible. We tell each other so often SC2, I play online because it has better graphics. Yes, I know, graphics are amazing. Skyrim? I dont have to do anything! I can do whatever I want. I go around killing random people/dragons. I did play oblivion too btw... And, of course I played pokemon HATE the new ones with a passion, but no doubt ill still play and beat the next one just to say I did. Of course I play zelda too...

See, I like the original ideas, like sc1, warcraft III, pokemon red etc but I love graphics. If they remade pokemon red with the graphics etc of white/black, my life would literally be complete. almost. whatever...

SC1 I love, but the pathing pisses me off. It makes it more fun though I killed a dragoon with two marines and an SCV by trapping the goon. thank you crappy pathing I killed a tank the same way. I think that bad pathing and stuff adds something to the game, but not for competitive play.

This post makes me want to play WCII. Is it good? And no starcraft? But its amazing... whatever.

I cant really tell if I am agreeing with you or what... but you bring up good points. GLHF, and good gaming.

-JAMOB

运气好有乐趣
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-11, 08:59 PM
ZanathKariashi's Flag is: USA

Yeah....pretty much the same here too.

AoE 2:TC is my fallback RTS.
The Baldur's Gate series is my fallback CRPG.

I actually got rid of Win7 and went back to XP due to the 80% of my games having issues with the newer OS or more commonly outdated video components that the newer DX10+ won't let you turn off to fix.

I have a huge library to work with, but the one's I enjoy the most are my older ones.

The first Dawn of War was what finally pushed me to take an interest in 40k, and in that regard I do find it enjoyable. DoW2 though I didn't like...it just irks me....and it's a Steam game AND has GfWL (My net leaves much to be desired and games that require constant or near constant internet just don't do it for me)....ugh...I beat the campaign and dabbled in the multiplayer but it just doesn't grab me like the first series did.

On the other hand.....Space Hulk for the 3DO is quite fun. I didn't even realize there was a 40k game on it, until I happened to see the box art for the game on a website, i go very good deal on it too, 15 bucks for brand new, unopened.

I liked the first Starcraft, but due to Blizzard's decision to turn B.net into a wanna-be GfWL, I'm not enjoying SC2 at all. So much so, even though I have a retail copy, I had to get a hacked version just to be able to play it reliably and be able to play skirmish matches when my net is down. On the plus side though, there's also a working LAN hack, so me and my cousin can both play now (We pre-ordered and didn't realize they'd changed their mind about a quasi-LAN option till we installed our games and were trying to figure out how to set up a LAN game).

As far as shooters go....Tribes 2 is my favorite...I don't really play any others at all too much.

that's all i can think of right now...i lost my train of thought.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-11, 12:25 AM

Meh. Sc2 is like sc1 only 3d and more expensive. Plus theres like 2 others yet to come out. I dont even think the graphics are any good.

Coh. Now that was a good game. Its like 8 years old but its still awesome. I still play it lol. And the graphics are better than sc2 imo

'Let the world tremble as it senses all you are about to accomplish.' - Luís de Camões
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-11, 01:49 AM

Dawnstar's Flag is: New Zealand

I know how you feel

I constantly consider buying a Nintendo 64 and as many games as I can find for it. Games these days just cant compare to Star Fox 64, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Brothers etc etc in my opinion. Brings back some good memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Mate, bacon can do anything.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-11, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstar View Post
I know how you feel

I constantly consider buying a Nintendo 64 and as many games as I can find for it. Games these days just cant compare to Star Fox 64, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Brothers etc etc in my opinion. Brings back some good memories
Muahaha i have a 64 still with all three of those.
I loved em to death but i never beat star fox.
Curse you andross

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-11, 10:18 PM
ZanathKariashi's Flag is: USA

I've got pretty much every system from around the time of the NES to current, both console and hand-held, main-steam or short-lived EXCEPT the Wii, DS, and 3DS which I refuse to buy (bought a DS, hated it, traded for a PSP instead). Recently acquired a Hyperkin Supaboy so I can play my SNES games on the go (and I was running out of space to hook up systems, so now i can squeeze my jaguar back in case).

Yes, 64 had quite a few good games, though the 64DD left much to be desired. Other then Simcity 64 the rest of the games for it are somewhat bland (the first Dosin game was decent, but the 2nd one is just plain weird). The F-zero track creator is nice though.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-11, 05:40 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Nostalgia goggles do wonderful things for old games. Having gone back to play some old games I can say many of them do not age well at all. I find many of the older gameplay mechanics of games like Goldeneye, KotOR, Balders Gate, and Resident Evil to be very lacking compared to what is currently available in similar genres. I'm using these games, not to date myself (I'm 27) but because once 3d gaming really became the norm 2d gameplay mechanics haven't really evolved.

I would also point out that comparing Age of Empires 2 to Dawn of War 2 is somewhat difficult. Both games are at completely different ends of the RTS spectrum. Dawn of War 2 is unique in that there are few RTS games similar to it beyond the most basic RTS elements.

That aside, from the sound of it you (and correct me if I'm taking this the wrong way) seem to be confusing the "in game balance" some titles try to achieve with the title taking it self too seriously. By your own admission in AoE 2 you could try a complex strategy to win, or just tech up fast and build your uber unit and win anyway (most likely faster as well), RTS games (and games in general) had to evolve beyond that as the main audience of the industry grew older and desired more of a challenge.

By adding in that type of balance, so that players can't just build an Uber unit and win, many games require much more in depth play time and even study. Starcraft 2 is a good example of this, with many units having hard and soft counters against them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode