Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Grey Knights

742 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  godzy 
#1 ·
Im new to warhammer 40000.
I started playing when the games-workshop store in Antwerp opened.
Im 16 and have never painted be4.
I want to play grey knights.
What list should I use to win a lot?
Are they hard too paint?

#3 ·
Grey Knights are good army - they play very similar to Eldar lists, but without some of their funky rules.

The typical solid Grey Knight list is based around 2 Land Raiders, 2 Tactical Grey Knight Squads, a Terminator Hero, and a Bodyguard. That's 1000 Pts, and good at taking on quite a bit.

They are unfortunately expensive models, and in game, so it'll hurt if one dies, but there's no denying their effectiveness.

However, due to their model size, being Fearless, and general weakness (you're paying nearly double for a person that's not tougher than a Marine).

To win, Tyranid's do well, Eldar, and Orks are your best bet.

#4 ·
I don't think you should settle for a list that you don't like just to win with. Use an army that you like and learn to win with it. So you can at least find that the list your playing with is fun and enjoyable. Isn't that the meaning of the game...to have fun?

Sure Grey Knights have a hard learning curve but when you learn how to use them, they are a force to be reckoned with.

#5 ·
Not to counter anything Vaz has said, as he knows what he is talking about (most of the time :laugh:), but winning isn't always about having the 'best win' army. Its about strategy. The better you know your codex and your army list, the more comfortable you are with them, and the better you know how to handle them on the battlefield within the rules, the better you are the game and more likely to win.

As for difficulty to paint, that is all you.

#6 ·
That said, some armies do require more work to win. Against players of similar skill and experience, Grey Knights will lose against most armies. They are beasts in CC, but with so few models, it's easy to overwhelm them. A few bad rolls will cost a terminator command squad half it's force.

#7 ·
I want to play grey knights.
What list should I use to win a lot?
Ok first off, this isn't a game about being the uber badass power gamer that wins every match he's in. It's a social game, and much more fun to play if you play to have fun and socialize, with winning as a side effect; not playing because all you want to do is win, with being social and having fun as a side effect. The game is just as much about strategy, and what units you take and how you use them, as it is about power gaming and using an overly powerful army. Tell that to the huge influx in Ork players. :laugh: And in my experience (12+ years) I don't think I've ever met a power gamer that was fun to play against.

As for choosing an army, choose an army that you would is cool or would be cool to play, or an army that you like the background on, or one that you like the units that said army can take,

#8 ·
If you really like the Grey Knights, but don't quite know how to use them then try using them as an ally with a parent list from the IG or SM (I think you can do that), to get a feel for them. Painting GK isn't too hard, but if you have never painted metallics then you should go slow with them. A good method for GK armor, if you want them to look like standard GK's is to start with a boltgun metal base. Highlight this chainmail, then wash the armor with blue or blue ink and finally highlight the finer edges of the armor with mithril silver. For the ornate gold insets start with brazen brass and highlight with shining gold. Hope that helps, if you don't know how to use these painting techniques then check out the tutorials section. Good luck.

#9 · (Edited)
40 grey knights

9 knights + justicar = 275 (that x 4) = 1100

add in 2 dreadnoughts ~135 each

brother captain (not a grand master) = ~115
=~1485 close to 1500 which is a standard army size. Should be a pretty nasty army, you may not win EVERY time but pretty close especially against the novice player or one of these guys whose all like; look at my new exarc he's from the galaxies battles that were fought a century ago and now he drinks wine from the avatars bum (fluffy nonsense, just roll the f#!king dice).

#10 ·
GK have one of the best looking models in the game, and are really fluffy. they are not easy to handle, but some reading could help out. a goot start is the way of the water warrior.
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=101214.

BTW. have you been to the Brussels GW? do hey still have that cute red-head?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.