Three Color Minimum Rule - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-08, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Three Color Minimum Rule

So, this summer i started playing 40k with 'nids, and have been having a great time. I just found out that my local store at school is starting 40k as well, and that they're going to be having a RTT in February. When i heard this i was really excited, but doing some research I've become concerned.

I've read that all models in a RTT need to be painted, and that most tournaments require a "Three Color Minimum." Now, all my models are painted, but I'm not sure if they would technically meet this. See, when i started i was a pretty awful painter, and wanted a simple paint scheme that could still look good. After a bit of research, i decided on a sort of inverted hive fleet leviathan look with a black prime, skull white and lich purple detail, and finally a coat of wood varnish. I used a pretty dark varnish, with the end result being that the purple portions were substantially darkened, and that there were a lot of brown splotches over the white parts. I know it sounds awful looking, and i don't have any pictures on me to prove otherwise, but while i know my model's won't win any painting contests, most people I've talked to seem to think they look pretty good for a first army (I am planning on doing something more detailed if i ever get around to making a second one).

What I'm wondering is, would the brown splotches technically count as a third color? Since this isn't an official part of the rules, just a guideline most tourny's seem to follow, i can't find a solid definition of what a color is. The vast majority of my models are varnished and i can't exactly repaint over it. I know that it will be up to the judge to determine, but do you think I will have a leg to stand on if i argue this? In spite of the relatively simple paint job, i did spend a lot of time on my army, and i really like playing it, so i would really hate to have to put them on the shelf and do a whole new army if i want to play in tournaments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-08, 04:38 AM

royemunson's Flag is: England

The best thing to do is take your army, or at least some of the models, down to the shop and ask if they are ok to use in the RTT. from the sounds of it it will be fine, i have seen necron armys which have been sprayed boltgun and then put on the table! so am sure they will be ok with it.

Well, the Chaos Space Marines have the chaos gods on their side, while the Space Marines have Games Workshop on their's.
So one has the most corrupt, twisted and souless entities in existance helping them while the other gets the chaos gods.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-08, 05:05 AM

Gul Torgo's Flag is: USA

They sound fine to me, but if you're worried, get a nice red and put a dot of paint onto each eye.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-08, 01:41 PM

MarzM's Flag is: Scotland

I think the three colour minimum was started to stop players from not putting atleast a little amount of effort into the painting of their armies. Marines are the ones that caused the most problems. Templars - Black armour - white shoulder pads - red eyes/ silver boltguns!!

In truth i put more colours into my eye's when i'm painting properly! lol

MarzM
Prince of the Grigori
"Sententia professio meus pugna securis quod ornamentum of bellum" 51:20
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-08, 02:05 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

the 3 color minimum really isn't worth worrying about, since its close to impossible to use less than 3 colors anyway
guardsmen, green clothes, flesh, black rifles, silver barrels, green/brown/etc base
Marines, Black armour, silver barrels, red eyes, green/brown/etc base
Tyranids, Black carapace, pink tongue, red eyes, green/brown/etc base
etc etc etc

so just ignore it, as long as everything remains consistent you should be fine

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-08, 02:36 PM

It really sounds like your army is fine. I doubt it will be the best painted army in attendence but it's a painted army.

Some details, like the eyes, can bring models to life a bit more. I'm a great believer in basing as a quick way to make averagely-painted models look ten times better as well.

You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.
Black Legion, Sisters WIP, Feudal IG WIP.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-08, 02:44 PM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

I've seen some horrendous efforts before.

One guy Jigplums played at the final a few years back drybrushed silver and purple over his black CSM's. They were okay'd.

I even played against these awful multicoloured necrons before. You could tell easily it was a mockery of the rule.

Just do your best mate, slap some base coat and a little bit of detail down and you're good to go.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-08, 03:02 PM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

It sounds like you are fine. You didn't mention what color you painted the base which will give you another color. Also even though they are not the best painted army you mentioned three different colors plus the wood stain which gives you another color.

The three color rule was so that people would would fully assemble and at least paint their army. Otherwise there would be a ton of grey plastic or black primer armies on the tournment scene. I saw one guy with about a half hour before the tournment started spray painting his entire army with red, orange and green. He had just bought the paint from the local hardware store that morning.

If you do have concerns I would take a couple of models down to the store and talk to the organizers and show them the models that represent your armies paint scheme and see what they say. I think your fine and don't need to worry about it though.

Good luck at the RTT and let us know how you do.

Summer Miniture Exchange SIgn Up Now!
Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-08, 03:47 PM

MarzM's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post

I even played against these awful multicoloured necrons before. You could tell easily it was a mockery of the rule..
Just with you saying that, there is this guy that goes to GT EVERY year with a pink army. It's either Pink Necrons or Marines with little buzzie bees and flowers painted on everything! lol

It's an amazing army! Weird to look at but amazing non the less.

MarzM
Prince of the Grigori
"Sententia professio meus pugna securis quod ornamentum of bellum" 51:20
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-08, 03:54 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarzM View Post
Just with you saying that, there is this guy that goes to GT EVERY year with a pink army. It's either Pink Necrons or Marines with little buzzie bees and flowers painted on everything! lol

It's an amazing army! Weird to look at but amazing non the less.
He's a top player as well. His marines are called the Strawberry Short cakes I think.

But back to the thread, your army sounds fine deafhobbit.

A couple of players got picked up this year at heat 3 for poor quality painting and had less than 3 colours on all thier minis. They were advised to make changes overnight or have the figures excluded from playing.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Tournaments and Conventions > Archived Events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode