Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

78th Hive rats (pic heavy)

893 views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  ThoseKrazyKasrkin 
#1 ·
So i just finished another one of my ig vehicles.

This one took me about 6 hours or so all up

As i was searching through my stuff for bits i came across my first russ i didnt finish and the first guardsmen i painted (sorta :biggrin:) and just realised how much better i've become at painting in 6 months since starting (i know i still have a ways to go)

So for intrest i have included these two to compare to what im making now.

FYI i changed pretty soon from the standard cadian colour scheme to a more urban scheme. I imagine they are based in a hive world to provide the urban experience (hence the camo) and its a very dusty (industrialisation etc) and wet (from the large amount of condensation and other chemicals released from the cities)

Thus i christened them the 78th hive rats

Comments are very welcome as i plan to paint all my ig stuff in this fashion so i want any advice before i start. I only painted a few guys before getting busy for about 4 months and now i plan to get it up and running.

My first russ

(its a serious eyesore and is just screaming for a dettol rub-down)
First guardsman

(same as above)

This is my new colour scheme. I did a few test models so here they are

And the first vehicle i have finished for them

I know theres paint on his hand (i missed)

This is the camo before i weathered and dirtyed it

Ok now im begging i need c&c before i start :victory:

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
its the blue i used. (i dont use many gw paints, mostly humbrol and stuff from my local hardware store. I chose it cause i didnt want it black but still wanted it to be dark

#6 ·
I honestly prefer it without the weathering. Maybe you could only do light weathering on the treads and near them? Just a suggestion!

Also a huge improvment from your first models mate! :victory:

#7 · (Edited)
Definitely a big improvement. I like how the tank ended up. The only thing about it is you seem to be doing a lot of work on the camo, only to then go and nearly completely obscure it with the weathering. Don't get me wrong, the weathering is quite good, but It's very hard to make out the camo especially on the sides after the weathering. Seems like a lot of wasted effort.

#9 ·
love the last tanks camo effect

#11 ·
Well since this is the tester for a long line i may tone down the mud a bit next time.

On a side note i just cut my finger with my stanley knife. Yay.

#12 · (Edited)
Get a band aid and get back to work.
Same comments about camo and weathering but you've heard that already.
I would suggest slight touch ups of the models like the tank commander's hand that has clothing color on it. Up close in the picture it took away but its minor stuff.
Also have you washed the model's skin at all? Delvan mudd, sepia or orgyn skin is a quick way to add some depth.
The armor on the guard looks chaos black primed and highlighted... might be the picture but if you paint over the primer black you'll get a more defined armor and the highlights will add more.

Good work look forward to more. :eek:k:

#13 ·
Bandaged up nd good to go

I did wash the commander but i washed the other two in black. Brown does seem to come out better though so ill do that.

The guardsmans armour is the same blue used for the base of the tank it looks really dark irl but you can tell its blue (especially with lighter blue highlights)

Thanks

#14 ·
Bandaged up nd good to go
Passed your feel no pain save I see
I did wash the commander but i washed the other two in black. Brown does seem to come out better though so ill do that.
Browns do well on skin tones, I've noticed that the blacks work better for metals and greys.
The guardsmans armour is the same blue used for the base of the tank it looks really dark irl but you can tell its blue (especially with lighter blue highlights)
Ah, my apologies, it as indeed the picture. Thanks
If your still slugging away come January check and see if Humakt runs another army painting challenge great way to keep motivated and on topic, it can be a bear with guard, my gaurd have been dead for a year. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.