Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

How do you get your models to be shiny??

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Andrakis 
#1 ·
How do you get your models to be shiny without using the ardacoat thingy from the games workshop?

#3 ·
There are two ways that I do it. There is acrylic paints that have a gloss built in to them. I use Essentials acrylics that are glossy. The other way is to add a few drops of FUture floor shine to the paint mixture. This dries glossy and adds a protective coating to the model.

#4 ·
i use the Vallejo transparent paints that i mix with a same colour ink.

#5 ·
all these are good suggestions...or you could switch to enamel paints. they tend to be much glossier than acrylic (so long as you don't buy flat colors). however, they're harder to work with, as you need a special paint thinner to thin the paint and clean the brushes...in short, you can't just use water for everything like you can with acrylics.

#6 ·
#11 ·
I would tend to agree - however, maybe it's a look the OP wants.

I would recommend just buying a gloss varnish at an arts and crafts store. I know Michael's has it. Not only does it seal on your paint to protect it from wear and chipping, it dried really shiny. They also have matte varnish which seals to protect but isn't shiny. In fact, I use it to dull my models shinier colors so they look more lifelike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.