Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Viking Space Marines

35K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  Masstadon 
#1 ·
Hey everyone i came up with what i thought was a cool idea and it was to create a space marine legion based off Vikings! :victory: well i thought well that seems easy i mean a lot of space wolves stuff looks like things i could use. only 2 problems... dont know what to use as a chapter badge and i dont know what to use as a colour scheme! so thats why i need your help coming up with a colour scheme! :good: -thanks

#2 ·
Great idea. Why not use the walknot. It is the Odinic symbol of warriors and the slain. Traditional colors for Odin are red and black, or red and white. Dragons are also traditional symbols of warriors. Here is a pic of a walknot and dragon symbol. Good luck.

walnot

dragons

#5 ·
You are welcome. Of course allthe words that show up(like banners, scrolls and the like) should be in runes. Keep in mind that runic is a phoentic language and traditionally they should be in red. There is a reason for this so if you want to know why PM me.

runes

#6 ·
Another thing I was thinking of is that you could use Chaos warrior bits they have lots of fur cloaks and the like or you could GS them. Be aware that you don't want to add horns to the helmets it is not what the Vikings wore and your army would be confused with Chaos. Here is a pic of traditional Viking helms.

Oculars were very popular but nasal pieces were almost always present. This is fun I get to use some of my vat of useless information to help someone.

#13 ·
The Space Wolves are based on Norse influence thus the reason why so much of it would work for you - would also agree with the marauders for heads as their helms and the like would work, although the "barbaric" look of it might fit better with a Chaos army than the marines.

The Valkyeries (sp?) would also be a symbol that could be represented with the Chaplain (one who administers to the Fallen warriors who died bravely in battle).

#15 ·
He was thinking he mispelled it. And yes you spelled it right. Hmmm. I had not thought about the valkyries I guess I don't know tht much about SMs but the valkyries is a good idea but I think more appropriate for SOBs. Valks are always female.:victory:

#21 ·
Use Space Wolf models with the new C:SM codex. They're about as Norse as the 40k universe gets.

#22 ·
SW and fantasy chaos are very norse-like.

though the whole norse daemon worshipping didnt quite follow onto 40k well. in fantasy the Chaos are VERY nordic. they are almost perfect vikings the way they are built even.

#27 ·
I would suggest considering giving them blue face paint. While this is not exactly Norse in origin, more Celtic or Pictish (an ancient tribe in Britton), many warriors of ancient northern Europe wore swirling warpaint called Woad which was a vibrant blue.

It may not be exactly Norse but it fits in well with the look and can be very fierce!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.