Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Sororitas Conversion Help

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Spartacus 
#1 ·
Hey folks.

Considering making a force of plastic sororitas with the bodies from the High Elf Darkshards with bolters shoved onto them along with Marine backpacks somehow. Not having worked with these models before I was wondering if there was any advice anyone could give about if that would even work and if so what would folks think I'd need to do to make it work.

The models in question:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Dark-Elves-Darkshards

The heads I would use:
SMA301 Heroic Scale Female Heads statuesqueminiatures.shop033.com

I'd round off the shoulder pads for definite. Though not sure what else I'd need to do. Hopefully the backpack and bolter would give it enough gothic sci-fi feel. This is all to try and allow me to cost effectively put together a sisters of battle looking army without having to mess around with metal. This is partly because I'm considering chaos-fying them with some subtle touches from my chaos bitz, which I'd struggle with if I used the metal; in addition I dislike working with metal at the best of times.

Thanks for your time.

Spartacus.

P.S. I'm not interested in arguing the validity of an army of Chaos Sororitas in the fluff, I've seen other threads that have turned into a clusterthingy over such, so please could we keep this on the modelling side of things with civility. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
To be completely honest, if you're going for a Chaos Sisters look I'd probably leave the shoulder guards pointed. I'd be trying to keep those arms intact as well, and only cut out the crossbow itself if that's possible. I'm not sure how the kit goes together but I think the space marine hands and arms will be too huge for those guys. By the looks of the sprue on the site the hands and arms are attached to the crossbows so that could be a pain.

Which backpacks specifically do you plan to use? The normal tactical squad ones or something more elaborate?

#4 ·
Thanks for the response, fellas.
@shaantitus
I'll be taking a look at those, only thing is that since I'm in a new place I don't know if there are other places to game other than my local GW. But third party stuff is definitely on my mind otherwise, I was just trying to keep it to a minimum so I won't raise too many eyebrows.
@Serpion5
Pointed shoulder pads would work better for the chaos look now you mention it, I was thinking of Grey Knight shoulder pads to reinforce the whole ex-heretic hunter vibe they have. Though after talking to some buddies I am considering using the Dark Eldar Kabalites with either using bitz markets or Greenstuff to make all the torsos female.

#6 ·
The problem @shaantitus is that most gw stores now have a gw model only policy for gaming in them. Some store managers might be a bit lax, but in general they consider games in store to be a part of their image so they require that players only use their product, and preferably current models too but I don't think they enforce that bit too harshly.

Dark Eldar torsos are going to be a pain. From memory there are only four female tosos out of ten on the sprue and it could in fact be less than that, I'm not sure. Additionally, the models themselves simply don't have the right kind of base to be used as sisters. I think your original plan of using the Darkshards is a safer bet.

Keep in mind they'll be holding bolters in front of them so you shouldn;t need to worry too much about making the breast on the armour too pronounced. Real word armour worn by women doesn't follow that shape, and the heads you've chosen will make it apparent that they're women anyway.

#7 ·
The problem @shaantitus is that most gw stores now have a gw model only policy for gaming in them. Some store managers might be a bit lax, but in general they consider games in store to be a part of their image so they require that players only use their product. Preferably current models too but I don't think they enforce that bit too harshly.
They can take that "current models" crap and shove it up their own arses!! I'll use what I like, provided it was produced for GW, and YES, this includes Marauder...

#8 ·
Sorry to have derailed the thread. We don't really have gw stores here in oz. They pretty much all went broke because of the stupid prices. At least around me anyway. Back on topic, I had a look at the range and I think the bleakswords could be converted in much the same way as the darkshards, but give you some additional pose options. I also thought the sisters of avelorn might be worth a look. They are female to start with, the head dresses would need some modification and there would be more work on the arm poses, but they could give a good result, but with more converting work.

#9 ·
The sisters could be cool! Definitely more work though (esp. with the arms, crossbows are much more similar to guns than shortbows). Darkshards also have heavier armor though, it feels a little closer to power armor and a little further from, say, Eldar armor. As for the Bleakswords, they actually come in the same box as Darkshards (along with Dreadswords) –they have a common body and then enough weapons options for any of the three.

I'm excited to see how these turn out!

#10 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys, and sorry for the delay.

I'd say that although the sisters of averlorn are awesome looking, they don't have the heavier armoured look of the darkshards as JAMOB said.

I've ordered a tonne of backpacks and a tonne of heads, just scouring the web for bolters.

Dark Eldar are overwhelmingly the popular choice for this, but I'm happier with the darkshards having what actually looks like power armour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.