Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

How do you remove super glue from Plastic Models

11K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  SETH, CHAPTER MAST 
#1 ·
Hello,

I bought some plastic models on ebay and this person loves super glue! Every part of a Defiler is super glued even the moving parts. I would like to take it apart and customize the weapons and change the positioning of the arms. So I need a way to dissolve the glue without melting the plastic. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

#2 ·
If you pop the model into the freezer for at least four or five hours (say, overnight...), the superglue should become brittle enough that you can just snap the pieces apart fairly easily. You've gotta be careful with this method, though; you can easily damage the model if you're too heavy handed about it.

#3 ·
Unfortunatley i don't know if Mineral turpentine is melting plastic, but it did get a bunch super glue away from my floor and my feet witout much remnants than a toothbrush that looked like had been brushing my teeth with bubble gum and the unavoidable odour.

I might just try some on an old model when i get home.

#12 ·
I just finished using a lighter to separate some plastic from plastic.

Burned it gooooooood!!!!

*Ahem* But that's only really an option if you can stand for some damage of the piece. I could get away with it because once the model is assembled you won't see the effect (which wasn't too pretty).

For what you're aiming to do, I wouldn't recommend it; but some people could use it in other projects. I'll say it again though - it's not for those who want to keep the plastic in good condition. Desperate times, desperate measures, yadda yadda.

#14 ·
Good ol' Steve Vai trick. He admitted to using super glue if he gets a cut under his fingernail. I've accidentally gotten super glue there before, sounds like it would work to me. Just feels funny.

<returns to topic>

really, the only option is to try to break it apart. The freezer idea seem sound enough, just hold the parts REALLY close to the joint to avoid un-necessary bending, stressing, or (Tzeentch forbid) breaking.

#19 ·
Hey there
I find this is a big problem when working with other "KIDS" model.lol
I do find that swan lighter fuel works well and dot 5 brake oil works at removing paint and glue.
But it does depend on what super glue it is.
If these do not work i would say try using very hot steem or ice cold water but you said these did not work.
You could buy some super glue deactivater "sorry about spelling" but it is hard to get hold of.

Hope this helps

#21 ·
Brake fluid (dot5) will work wonders for you just let it sit for a couple of hours and it won't affect plastics. Also acetone will harm plastics and it is the major ingredient in nail polish remover. What works also is simple green you can find it at canadian tire just let it soak overnight. Beauty about simple green is it's non toxic and biodegradable(sp)

Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.