Wrecked railyard Table - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-08, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

col44mag's Flag is: USA

Wrecked railyard Table

Hey guys, me again, I've been working on a table (standard 8x4ft.) and i thought you could help me with some creativity. Im going for a imperial guard railyard that's been heavily bombarded, with destroyed track, bombed out buildings, and decimated freight cars. Kinda wanted it to look like a post-war Berlin or stalingrad.There are several main things i would like to emphasized or included on this table.

1. Complete and utter destruction
2.A butt-load of cover saving obstacles
3.small forested areas
4.large railcars for cover
5.No large open areas (i want large vehicles to have to mainly stick to the tracks)
6. It should be an infantry man's battlefield

Any help with this project would be much appreciated. I'll try to have pics as soon as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-08, 03:33 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Moved to Modeling. The Tutorial forums are only for completed tutorials, not help requests

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-08, 04:52 AM

Lord Khorne's Flag is: Australia

Sounds good. IG would have an advantage though. How about having raised walkways around the station?? That would be cool. It would also save the infantary from crossing the tracks.

GW is the eternal circle.
It creates and destroys.
Inspires and demorilises.
Gives Birth and Murders.
That is Games Workshop.

Currently working on Guardians Of Pella Space Marine chapter
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-08, 08:15 AM

I presume you're using Cities of Death for this? I mean, a wrecked railcar is essentially a box with holes in it just like a building is a box with holes in, rubble is rubble, and aerial walkways are aerial walkways, whether they're on a station or a factory.

What kind of forset do you want? Were you thinking actual trees, or lower scrubby-bush plants - the sort of weeds that quickly colonise bomb-sites (and live up and down railway tracks)?

If you want to cut down fire-lanes and such, you could make the tracks themselves raised - enough to block LOS. That way you cut the board into sections. Maybe have underpasses - I have no idea what the American word for those is, we call them subways, but in America that means underground railways... tunnels, anyway, under the tracks, for pedestrians. This will start to give you lots of levels to play with.

Just some ideas. Keep us informed, sounds like a really interesting projects!

:intrigued cyclops:

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-08, 01:05 PM
Ex Mod.

cccp's Flag is: Great Britain

yeha, lots of levels to the table would be great. things like craters, raised railway tracks, tall, multi floored buildings etc

id also recommend taking a look at real life wrecked cities to get an idea of exactly what it should look like.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-08, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good guys. Im was trying to make it (like red orc said) with very narrow lanes of fire and bad line of sight everywhere. Any type of infantry whether tau, sm, ig, or csm should adapt well to this type of play. I really enjoyed the idead of walkways, hadnt thought about that. Also the forestry got me to thinking , im going to use burned out trees (like the charlie brown christmas tree) and lots of low creeoing brush to give it that derelict look
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-08, 11:39 PM
Siege's Flag is: Australia

Sounds like a great idea, I'm looking to make a new table in the near future. Hopefully when you get going we can see some pics of your progress.

One thing I want to say though, it kinda sounds like your building this table so your own Imperial Guard army has the advantage. I know when I'm designing a new table I try to keep it as level a playing field as possible, as I don't want to disadvantage other players, and since I have a few armies of my own now (DA, Tau and 'Nids), who all play very differently on the tabletop, I definitely don't want to put myself at a disadvantage.

Please help Keak reach his full potential.

Last edited by Siege; 06-05-08 at 11:47 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-08, 12:25 AM

Sieg's Flag is: USA

I would use the images from the movie "Enemy at the Gates" great movie and an awesome location for a 40k game.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-08, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

I was kinda worried about people accusing me of rigging the table to my own needs, but upon further inspection....this table is gonna kick my ass. My troops all have long range weapons which certainly wont be any benefit in such close quarters. Also if i get assaulted, im done for, my guardsmen are terrible in the assault phase. This table may be my undoing.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-08, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

im glad you brought that up Sieg, that was my original insoiration. i was gonna use the scene after after colonel koig has captured the boy and seitzev and his rival have the showdown near the tank factory. Glad were on the same wave lengths

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode