Review: Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-11, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Default Review: Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team

Review: Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team

Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team is an arcade game twin stick arcade game available to the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. The story of the game is simple; an Ork killa kroozer (is that the correct designation?) is approaching a Forge World, and the devastation could potentially be catastrophic, so a team of the Emperors own Space Marines are deployed in an Caestus Assault ram to board to cripple the vessel, execute the Ork leader and kill every damn Ork they can find. Classic Space Marine task, eh?

Cinematic is awesome.

There is some slight "character customization" in the game. First off, you get to pick what Chapter your Astartes team will hail from; you get to choose from Chapters like the Blood Ravens, the Ultramarines, Salamanders and a few more. I was slightly annoyed by the fact that you could not choose the "Deathwatch", which if we are to be honest is the one single thing which yoy should have played as in the game. Then you choose your class; Librarian, Techmarine, Sternguard or Vanguard veteran. Every class has three different weapons, which are unlocked as you progress in the game. You also get to pick two perks, that give you damage bonuses, extra health, extra grenade slots and similar things.

An Ultramarines Sternguard Veteran with a Plasma Canon. Defines OP.

After that its time to kick some ass. The game plays surprisingly well, and the only complaint about gameplay I actually have is the fact that the game is filled with short unskippable (!) cutscenes which explain your objective, which usually takes a lot longer than it takes for you to accomplish the said objective. It is no major problem on the first play through, but on the second it gets a bit "meh". Camera angels work well for the most part, and only a few times I found them causing problems, which were easily solved by looking at the radar, which pinpoints the location of the enemies, so you can pretty much spray the enemy down before they even appear on the screen.

There are also hidden Aquilas to find through out the campaign, 10 for each level. If I have understood correctly, these will unlock some concept art, but I cannot confirm this, since I have not found all on any level yet.

Shooting clearly holds a favor in this game; the Sternguard veteran is a lot better than the other guys. But none of them is outright bad, which is good, thou we did notice while playing co-op that none of us ever picked the Techmarine.

And talking about co-op brings us the the single biggest let down of the game; no Xbox LIVE support, so no, you cant play co-op online, which if we are to be honest, sucks quite hard, for not everyone has a local friend to play with. This does prevent some people from getting the co-op achievements.

The games campaign consists of five missions, each of which is about 30-45 minutes each, depending on how fast you advance. The game ends up at about four or so hours, which was a bit of a let down, cause a bit more bang for your money would never have hurt.

The game also has a survival game mode, which is a bit "meh". You unlock one survival mission for each campaign mission you complete, resulting in a total of five. This could have had quite some potential, but ended up quite short from the dead beginning. First of, you do not get to choose which hero you want to use, which is a shame, cause I would have loved to run around with the OP Sternguard veteran kicking butt. Every level has a pre-determined hero, which yea, sucks at times. Secondly, you rarely reach the fourth minute, since the power ups and health stop appearing on the third minute, which is a shame, since you will inevitably be brought down by just the shear numbers of Orks, and no, you wont take them all down, regardless of how good you are. Shame, really.

You are awarded an Aquila for your performance, a bronze for "meh", silver for "ok" and a gold one if your awesome.

Third thing to keep you occupied is the "Codex", which gives you a basic over look at the Warhammer 40,000 universe and the different Astartes classes and enemies encountered in the game. This section I actually give a huge plus to, since it provided me with something I did not know (cause of my basic knowledge about Xeno heresies) and cause it was narrated as well as being text, which made it a lot better than some standard text boxes.

Talking about voices, the Marine(s) dont really speak. They are just happy to kick a lot of butt. Instead the campaign is being narrated by a dude I would presume is some Inquisitor or something, who seems to know a shit load of stuff whats going on in there. I liked his voice acting, so I wont complain. Other voices are those of dying and angry orks. And some hungry things you will encounter later on.

Might also be mentioned that the game uses the amazing Dawn of War II soundtracks, so there is no complaining in that department.

The character models are taken pretty much directly from Dawn of War II, so they are a familiar sight. This also means that the graphics are amazing to say at least, they look like a toned up version of the Ultra settings. The maps are not the most interesting sight, since orks have a lacking imagination, but places like the drop ship decks and the last map were a nice variation.

The game itself gives you a short break from your usual gaming, but it lacks a long term lasting appeal. Of course aiming at the top of all the leaderboards might give you something to do, but thats for hardcore no lifers. You will likely play through this game twice or so to get all the achievements, but after that there is not a lot more to do. I have found that younger persons enjoyed this game a lot (had a cousin on the visit who did not stop playing whatever game I offered forth), but you yourself will probably get the achievments, claim your power sword, and move over to Space Marine after the 8 or so hours you will spend on his game.

Score: 8.0/10

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

Last edited by Doelago; 07-27-11 at 10:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-11, 08:08 PM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

this looks superb! wish I had a 360!!

Rev
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-11, 11:02 AM

jams's Flag is: Wales

FYI the techmarine with melta and +25% ranged and melee damage is a fiend!

Follow my online ramblings:
Blog: http://crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @geochimp
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-11, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Melta is a bitch, lol.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software > Video Game Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode