DMC Review:5HI - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-26-15, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Default DMC Review:5HI

Feeling really rusty with the reviews but thought I'd fire up a taster of my latest one here on Heresy.
Come check it out if ye'd like. Up next I'm going to be taking a look at the Resi Evil HD version on PC

Linky: http://fivehoursin.blogspot.ie/

Aaaaand taster:

After far too long a hiatus, I thought I’d jump back into the New Year by having a look at DMC: Devil May Cry. Now for a reboot, it must be said that Ninja Theory (developer) did a fantastic job. Initially there was a fan base backlash because of the restyled Dante (side-note, there is an option to play through the game with the old Dante character model). However, it’s been out for nearly two years now and I must admit, I had to tear myself away to write this review.

Seriously this game ticked pretty much all the boxes for me. Combat feels fluid, as you progress you get a nice range of weapons. I would like to say that there is a variety in the enemies…but so far there’s been about 7-12 enemies, however there are different styles within that (kind of like a reskinned enemy that can only be damaged by angel weapons or devil weapons). Don’t get me started on the soundtrack…I don’t care what genre of music you are into, Combichrist blaring in the background will send shivers down your back as you tear into the unholy legions.

Five hours in and the story is there, I’m kind of worried that it could end abruptly but I have to say it has been a thrill ride so far. Story-wise, it’s your typical reunited broken family, going after said fellow who initially broke up the family/ripped out your mother’s heart (as you do…). It’s a hack and slash revenge story with quirky protagonist who is borderline narcissistic. But hey, he grows on you!

My only qualms about the game is the lack of a lock-on function and the upgrade settings. When you have to use a particular weapon type against a certain enemy, leaping across the floor to hit said enemy with a useless attack when you meant to use it on his little buddy is a bit of a pain. The lock-on feature in Darksiders 2 is something that could be put to use here. Also I felt that a lot of the upgrades are…well unnecessary. In the middle of a fight I’m not thinking about unleashing the ultimate combo…I’m more along the lines of “gaahh take that! Yeah, now who’s next??” My attention span is more attuned to making things dead quickly than looking pretty whilst doing it (although I will admit I will play through it again and try to get a good score, I’ve been mainly single Ss so far).
After five hours I can definitely see myself playing through this game again at some point to find all the hidden goodies.

Feel Free to check out my blog! News, Reviews...and sometimes shoes??
http://fivehoursin.blogspot.ie/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software > Video Game Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode