Assassin's Creed III - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-13, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Default Assassin's Creed III

Read The original review: http://baneofkingswritingblog.wordpr...o-game-review/

ASSASSIN'S CREED III

As it turns out, a lot of people have a lot of issues with this game. I however, found Assassinís Creed III to be very enjoyable, and arguably the best game in the franchise since Assassinís Creed II, but it doesnít come without its issues. But letís kick off with the plot. For all of you who have been playing the Assassinís Creed games for a while, youíll know that this outing sees Desmond Miles this time head into the Animus to cover somebody, for the first time Ė who isnít Ezio Auditore or Altair, the master Assassin. Instead, weíre taken to the era of the American Revolution, where we find ourselves exploring Connor Kenway and his ongoing battle for freedom.

The first major problem here is that Connor is as not as likeable as Ezio, not as charming. Heís got a big legacy to fufil, because over the years Ezio has become a very memorable character almost reaching the same iconic-status as Master Chief. It certainly takes something big to replace him and whilst Connor doesnít quite succeed he still manages to stand out as his own character with his own strengths for sure, with a strong personality to boot, particularly given somebody who has the most tragic background of perhaps the three characters who weíve met so far. I wonít go into spoilers, but there is a major twist that happens fairly early on in the game, before you even get to playing as Connor himself.

Assassinís Creed III also takes the visual elements of the game to a new height, everything about its setting is beautiful and this might just be one of the best looking games that Iíve ever played. Youíll find yourself immersed in a whole wealth of content, with the largest playing field ever and plenty of time to explore. However, that leads to another problem. An early screenshot before the gameís release showed the player being able to use a canoe to get down rivers, but this was taken from the main game. Thereís also no whistling for horses on hand, and the fast travel is mainly something youíll find thatíll take you to the main cities, Boston or New York, The Frontier, the Homestead or the Harbour-master, where you can complete some fun ship-focused missions as a Captain of the Aquila. However, if you want to get from one side of the Frontier to the other, then the task becomes very hard indeed. I spent a good portion of the time spent playing the game running to and from one place to the other, which although at first was good to immerse yourself in the scenery and get used to the new hunting and free-running concepts, the game ultimately dragged a bit pace-wise because of that.

And particularly early on in the game, when you first start to play as Connor, the game can at times feel tedious and dull, not moving quickly enough pace-wise to get to the places where you want to be, such as key events like the Boston Tea Party, or a battle between Washingtonís soldiers and the Redcoats in one of the gameís most memorable set-pieces.

The pattern of the storyline is still fairly similar to the previous Assassinís Creed games, where you start off by gathering information before eventually killing a high-profile target in a wide variety of situations. At times, the narrative will be found full of cut-scenes and become restrictive if you choose to play the main storyline all in one go, like I ended up doing Ė but aside from that there is a vast amount of content here, from searching for Captain Kiddís treasure to improving your homestead to reap the financial benefits.

However, the vast amount of content also doesnít feel necessary Ė there were several things that I didnít need to complete in order to advance the main storyline, so much so that I finished with only around 50% synchronisation upon completion, although that was also contributed with the fact that I fail at completing missions with full synchronisation (For newcomers, Youíre given various challenges to complete during the game, the way that Connor achieved the missions in, for example Ė not knocking over civilians in a chase sequence), that add to the experience and as a result I think I will be spending a lot more time trying to go back over and complete those missions.

The attention to historical detail is superb, and the creative idea and potential even more so. The Gameplay has become more simplified, easy to control, particularly the free-running, which is a sheer joy to pull off, particularly when youíre not playing in the cities, but itís still somewhat annoying with there being so many glitches due to the gameís span. (Less of a problem of the gameplay, more of a problem of the game in general).

As I have an Xbox 360 but no Xbox Live, I wasnít able to play the multi-player, so as a result I cannot write a review of it. This is a shame as I would have loved to try out the gameplay and The Tyranny of King Washington DLC in particular, but for now, any future games that I review like this one will be covered on their single-player basis alone, unless there is an option for at least 2-Player Multi-player offline.

VERDICT: 4/5

THE ASSASSINíS CREED III SERIES: Assassinís Creed, Assassinís Creed II, Assassinís Creed: Brotherhood, Assassinís Creed Revelations, Assassinís Creed III, Assassinís Creed IV: Black Flag (Coming Late 2013)

Assassin's Creed 3 - E3 Official Trailer [UK] - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-13, 08:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Honestly, I was mostly dissapointed with the this installment in the series. Yes it had some cool moments, like the twist at the start and how certain events came to be. But overall the game did not feel complete, like there were important elements taken out of the story or delegated to side stories.

For me, one of the biggest examples of that would be the relationship between Connar and Achilles. Initially they have a very important relationship, as master and student, however as the story goes on that falls by the wayside until the very end of the main story, where you learn the origin of Connors non Mohawk name. Playing their side story, though not required, drops a number of hints to how important Connor was to Achilles which I felt could have been better conveyed.

And overall that is perhaps my main issue with Creed 3. At points it feels rushed or half assed, with both Connor and Desmonds stories ending in rather underwhelming ways.

I mean look at it with Ezio: he lost the majority of his family and became an assassin to avenge them, he refounds two assassin orders, and he learns that the life of the assassins is a choice that can consume you if you do not allow yourself to walk away.

Of all the Creed games, I honestly found this one to be a bit of a let down all said and done.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-13, 08:31 PM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

I must agree as far as the story is concerned. It seemed lacking for a Assassin's Creed game and lacked the in-depth plot lines that Ubisoft is often known for.

However as far as game play going it was revolutionary, and I think we will see a much smooth, more fast-paced game with the new installment of Black Flag

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-13, 08:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
However as far as game play going it was revolutionary
How, other than taking place during the American Revolution (or an English civil war depending how you want to look at it), was the gameplay revolutionary?

Other than adding the somewhat clunky ship missions, it was the same stuff from before.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-13, 08:37 PM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
I must agree as far as the story is concerned. It seemed lacking for a Assassin's Creed game and lacked the in-depth plot lines that Ubisoft is often known for.

However as far as game play going it was revolutionary, and I think we will see a much smooth, more fast-paced game with the new installment of Black Flag
As well as the best part of AC3. The focus of the open world travel being naval oriented in Black Flag. Thought that was awesome to read.

I liked AC3 overall, but I too felt that there was just too much side stuff added in. Eh, still completed it and got 100% synchronization overall and got the achievement. Well worth it.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software > Video Game Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode