Injustice: Gods Among Us - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-15-13, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Default Injustice: Gods Among Us

The Original Review: http://baneofkingswritingblog.wordpr...s-game-review/.

INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US

I’m going to start by saying this. I’m not normally a big fan of fighting games. In fact, the last fighting game I remember playing was for the Gameboy Advance, and well – I sucked at it. And I think it’s safe to say that I suck at Injustice: Gods Among Us here, but the difference is – I’m actually getting better. I picked this up because I’m a massive DC Comics fan, and thought that I’d reward myself for completing my exams with one of the games that I’d been looking forward to ever since its release. Probably even before.

The idea of pitting Batman against Superman in an arena has a massive appeal to me. I mean, of course – there’s no way that in comics’ terms, unless Batman had Kryptonite, Superman would be able to lose – but the idea presented in Injustice: Gods Among Us is interesting. The characters can take whatever you throw at them, even if Superman punches Harley Quinn out into outer space and then a knock back down into the ground again, or if Doomsday takes Nightwing and smashes him through the centre of the Earth twice. However, each superhero gets their own super move – and I’ve just explained two of them to you. They’re unique to the character, and that makes it pretty interesting, especially when you combine the uniqueness with the fact that certain characters can interact with different objects in different ways – for example, when you’re fighting in Wayne Manor, Nightwing will get on a bike and drive it into an opponent, whilst Green Lantern will pick it up and throw it at the opponent.

The first thing that I noticed is the wealth of characters available even without DLCs. You get the six main members of the Justice League, Batman, Superman, Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern – and several other characters as well. Green Arrow, Solomon Grundy – and there are even a few that I haven’t encountered before, for example – Black Adam, Raven & Killer Frost. Whilst I haven’t been able to download DLCs as I lack access to Xbox Live, characters (Batgirl) and skins (Superman – Red Son) are being added to change your characters look. And whilst there aren’t that many skins available for people who don’t have access to Xbox Live, you can still get access to other elements like the New 52 skin of Nightwing (which is awesome) and Shazam.

Another interesting appeal about this fighting game is that it has a pretty interesting storyline – whilst it ultimately ends up being you using one character to fight a certain number of other characters before moving onto the next character, it allows you to play as both heroes and villains, and the deluded, in a world gone mad. Taking place in an alternate reality where Superman was tricked into killing Lois Lane and destroying Metropolis by the Joker, he now sits as High Councillor of this One Earth Government, leading heroes and villains alike, with all who fought against him dead – apart from Batman, who calls a group of heroes from the main DC World, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow Batman and Aquaman (along with the Joker) into a world gone mad. Or as the normal Batman puts it, “a nightmare.”

And from there, the storyline unfolds. It’s interesting to see who has sided with who – and there are certain twists to each characters, who may not be the same as they were in the normal DC Universe. It’s a pretty awesome campaign, and the fact that you don’t stick as one hero all the way through allows you to explore certain characters that you’d never normally play as in the multiplayer mode.

In this review, I can actually talk about the multiplayer mode for a change – because I’ve managed to rope my sister and my brother into playing it with me. Both have been enjoying it so far, and it’s allowed for some personal stake as I think I’d get bored just playing against the A.I. all the time. So far I think we’ve established that my three favourite characters to play as in this game are Nightwing, Green Arrow and Green Lantern. I just love their weapons, and their unique super moves are pretty cool as well. The best thing about this game is that it actually makes it worthy of being labelled as a DC fighting game, for it has everything you’d expect. The characters feel like they’re their comic characters, and there isn’t one that feels like they don’t belong, or will cause controversy. (aside for the fact that some people may want Guy Gardner over Hal Jordan, for example). In fact, there’s only a few glaring absences of the characters that were left out of this, Martian Manhunter for example, who would have been a great counterpart to Superman in multiplayer as well as the storyline.

The in-game graphics are awesome. During battle, Injustice makes the unreal elements fit in perfectly, so the fact that normal characters without superpowers surviving getting hit by a moving train in Gotham City makes it seem almost believable. I also love the interactivity with the arena, and the fact that you can go to different places within the fight – for example, you’ll go from one area of the Batcave to the Lagoon, make it pretty entertaining indeed.

I think that it’s safe to say, the weakest part of this game is the cut-scenes, which feel a let-down when you compare them to the awesome graphics in-game and in the main titles, with the uneven balance between two characters playing another role as well. But this is above all, a fun game – and my third new game of 2013 that I’ve played, (Fifa 13, Assassin’s Creed III and Injustice), I think I have to say that it didn’t disappoint. Awesome stuff. Fan of fighting games or not, I think you’ll enjoy this one.

VERDICT: 4/5

Injustice: Gods Among Us - Announcement Trailer - YouTube

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software > Video Game Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode