Dead Island Riptide - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-13, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

Dead Island Riptide

what can i say, this game is awesome to the max, same thing heroes think they escaped, then get screwed over by man in suit and end up on another infected island.

I love the way Riptide plays, and more that that, unlike some games i have played recently, if you want to try another character you can without loosing the progress made on the other character. Also you can import a Dead Island Character so you do not loose any skill sets from the first one.

With some new zombies and a few neat weapons i think i will be playing this for a while to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-13, 10:58 PM

High_Seraph's Flag is: USA

So how does it handle? Like the first one or did they change it around a bit like some developers do for sequels? Does it look well polished or like someone slept through the night? What are some of the things that have stood out to you so far? Is it worth buying new or used? Sorry for the barrage of questions but money is tight and I don't want to get a dud then only get 10 or 20 bucks for it when I trade it in.

Jesus wasn't the son of GOD, he was just a Master of Alteration.
^elder scrolls joke^

"Loyalty is its own reward."
Lion El'Jonson.

Remember: Read more Manga and other books as well!
Try: The Breaker
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-13, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Seraph View Post
So how does it handle? Like the first one or did they change it around a bit like some developers do for sequels? Does it look well polished or like someone slept through the night? What are some of the things that have stood out to you so far? Is it worth buying new or used? Sorry for the barrage of questions but money is tight and I don't want to get a dud then only get 10 or 20 bucks for it when I trade it in.
it handles really well, when i first played resident evil back on the original ps i had an issue with the way you controlled the character, by the time i had turned round i was eaten, although now that has been rectified, i think that Dead Island and DI Riptide far outwiegh any zombie games so far on the market.

You have other characters to interact with and play with much like the first but its a more broader spectrum, and the new look challenges menu and character menus are even better than the first outing, so Silver Deep did well with updating that, at least you can now gauge how well the character you are playing is doing and also, in multiplayer how well the others are doing.

the new weapons have stood out for me and unlike number one, you can now use a flare gun and nail gun as offensive weapons. The graphics are not quite there and could use a little sharpening but it doesn't detract from the overall game experiance.

the only gripe i have is that the vehicles can unbalance the game and the rock hard monsters become easy to mow down. but i only use them when i am collecting fuel or have no where else to go so it doesnt bother me as much as it might other players.

If you want to run and blast your way through the game then you may not enjoy it as much, but if you want to immerse yourself in the genre, find out whats really going on and use the tactical approach then it really is the game to get.

The best addition i found to the Zombies were the drowned ones, these buggers make you think they are the poor souls left to rot in the water when in fact, they lull you into a false sense of security and when you ride boats, they climb in and start attacking you, thats where co op play comes in best one of you steer the others can get rid of them. I learnt how to deal with rams and thugs in the first one as well as the floater, suicide and butcher although the floater and butcher can really fuck me up at times.

The fact that there seem to be more side quests has stood out for me too and to be honest i think buying new will give you the same enjoyment that buying used can bring. I was lucky, my wonderful other half got me it as a pressie the day it came out otherwise i would be buying it second hand.

it beats some of the other zombie games out there, and the one i am waiting for the walking dead...will probably eclipse it, but until that comes out, i will be dead islanding it for the forseeable months.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-13, 10:17 AM

TomG's Flag is: Ireland

I think gothik covered everything!

Really liking the game.

I found in the first game there came a point where it just became too easy. Maybe due to the weapons and not as many zombies (except in the town).

Riptide seems to have really addressed the aspects of the first I wish they fixed. Guns actually feel like they do some decent damage now. There is a host of new weapons that are fantastic, the flare gun being a fun one and of course, the harpoon gun ;)

I found myself getting to grips with the areas and gameplay very quickly with this. And where you can do the usual, slice and dice your way through, there's always the feeling of suspense.

There are zombies a plenty too! You can quickly find yourself being overwhelmed, which adds a sense of realism.
It kind of feels like playing Far Cry...with zombies

But like with Far Cry, I found sometimes the missions may get repetitive. The environments may change but it is still a case of defend here, or go get this. However, they did address this. They did so by well... throwing zombies into the mix. Such as an arse ton of zombies between a junkie and his bag of coke, and guess who's off to collect it for him.

It never really gets old because you're through may have just walked 500m, but you'll walk 500 more just to get that harpoon gun

I feel they did the game and the genre proud with this one.

I'd recommend it. But then again I never buy games at full price. Check and see if you can trade any games in to get a deal.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software > Video Game Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode