Defiance - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

Default Defiance

"The visionary open-world shooter MMOG Defiance serves as a companion to the tandem television show on Syfy. In an entertainment first, the game and show will influence and depend on each other, and even feature some players' characters on the TV shows as extras.

Set on a future Earth, Defiance introduces players and viewers to a world where humans and aliens live together on a planet transformed by decades of conflict. The game combines the intense action of a 'AAA' console shooter, with the persistence, scale, and customization of an MMO, while its TV counterpart weaves the rich tapestry of the world into a series with the scope, characters, and drama of a classic sci-fi epic. Because they exist in a single universe, the show and the game will influence each other and evolve together over time, with actions in both mediums driving the overall story of Defiance."

On April 2nd, Defiance hit the shelves and I've been playing it ever since. There is truly a ton of things that you can do in this game and that's for any type of player. You start out by selecting your character from 2 different races (human or Irathient) and the sex. Customization is very high as in you can change anything about your face, hair, etc. Next, you pick the type of player that your character is going to be by selecting your Origin: Veteran, Survivialist, Machinist, and Outlaw. Choosing one over the other honestly makes no difference except for your starting weapon and clothes. All Origin's can use any weapon they find in the game.
Now that you have your toon setup, you'll start the game in a type of tutorial mode in the open world. Here you will learn the basics of what is going on and how to play. It's beyond easy to play this game. Near the end of the tutorial you'll earn your EGO power. This choice is NOT permanent so you can change it at any time, it will just cost you "scrip" which is the in game money. The EGO powers are: Blur-You move extremely fast and are hard to hit, Cloak- Become invisiable for a short period, Overcharge- your weapons become stronger, and Decoy- A double of yourself is sent running to draw fire away from you. Once you select your main EGO power, there are several "side" EGO powers that you can pick and choose from to augment your main power and yourself. The only way to get EGO points is by "leveling" up.

So, lets talk about PvE and PvP play!

PvE
Player versus Enviroment is for those who want to do missions and side missions either alone or co-op with other players. All of the story line missions (which is a long story line) are fully capable of being done by yourself with zero help from any one. In fact, that's exactly what I did. The same goes with side missions (of which there are currently a couple hundred). The fun part about it is that since it's an open world, that while your doing the mission (main or side), someone else may be doing the same mission so they are in that area and you both kind of "team up" without actually forming a group. Being in a group in NO WAY affects item drops or experience though. So there is no downside to going it alone.
Besides the actual missions and side missions, there are also "side" side missions. These little missions are randomly spawned all over the world and you only find them by happening to come across them. It might ask you to rescue captives, destroy a roadblock, kill this group, or some such. These are very easy to do and net you a decent chunk of xp so never pass them up!
The instances however, you need a group for. There are just way to many toons for you to fight through yourself and the main bosses take huge amounts of damage to bring down. The good news though, it's extremely easy to find a group for any of the 6 instances as the game will auto match groups and port all of you to the instance. It's also just as easy to get in if you have your own group of friends as well. Just form the group first then select the instance and done!
These instances are fun for a few run throughs and there are plenty of EGO goals in each one for you to aim for. The downside is that the loot is the exact same loot that you can find off of anything in the open world from the lowliest creature to the toughest. So there is no real reward except experience (which is always the same) and the Ark Keys. (Ark keys are used to open lock boxes for random rewards)
Ark Falls are massive open world events. They are random as to where they will land and are random as to what type of enemy it will be. But they are always on your map so they are easy to find. Durring an ark fall, anyone who shows up is battling the same boss monster as every one else. Again, there is no real reward for this except experience.

PvP
Player versus player is a major side to this game. From Shadow Wars (64 vs 64) or 6 vs 6 on one of 3 maps. The Shadow War fights are massive in scale and your team is fighting to control objectives on the map while holding them from the enemy. Points are scored by controling objectives and killing other players. Every War that I have been in has been chaotic to the extreme. You never know what's going on, who's where, who's doing what and then all of a sudden you've been shot from behind. Seeing how this game is still new/fresh, I'll give it time for the dev's to sort out problems before I make a true opinion. But for now, I just go in and run around shooting anything that turns red in my cross hairs.
The small PvP maps are set up for capture the flag and slayer. Honestly, I really didnt find this all that fun.

Overall the game is fun. But I've had it for less than a month and it's starting to be the same kind of thing over and over. Side missions are one of a few types: Kill this group, find this item and deliver it, scout this area, so you'll get bored of them after so long. As a side note, I bought the game and played it for a week before decideing to buy the Season Pass which gives you two new races to create characters from and a free lock box. I have had a ticket in to support since the 15th trying to actually get this update. Paid for, downloaded, and recieved NOTHING. So I would strongly suggest avoiding the purchase of the season pass.

Overall score: 6 out of 10
Once you get bored of it, it's hard to keep playing! I would strongly recommend waiting to purchase this game for at least a few months to let them work out issues, lag, and content.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software > Video Game Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode