Gears of War 3 - My Review - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Ilihaywe's Flag is: USA

Default Gears of War 3 - My Review

Gears of War 3 cover art for Epic Game's newest shooter.

First, I'll start off with the basics. The Gears of War franchise is three third-person shooters (TPS) based on a planet called Sera, where the humans come under attack by a race of beings called the Locust, who dwell underground and recently emerged to make war of humankind (I won't give any spoilers).
Alright, so, on the matters of being a shooter, GoW3 (That's what we'll call it from here on) covers it pretty well. The game itself is mostly based upon a cover system (similar to TC's Rainbow Six) which allows you to take cover, aim around it and shoot, or fire over/under/around it blindly.

Next, this game features a very long campaign, which took me quite a long time to complete on normal. The campaign features you playing one of the many main characters (depending on if you're playing co-op), and is separated into Acts, which are separated into Chapters. The campaign, while being the same gameplay, features many tough situations, hard bosses, challenges, and is very emotional at points. You'll face many different enemies that will make you rethink your strategy to fighting them, too. Overall, the campaign rating I give GoW3 is 9/10. There are a few things I dislike and think the game could do without, but it really doesn't matter.

Here are some of the many playable characters is Gears of War 3.

Second, GoW3 is one of the very few games that features both an amazing campaign and gripping multiplayer in one package. GoW3, as a step up from GoW2, has become ever-increasingly based more upon the multiplayer. The menus use a system similar to Halo: Reach, in which the party is seen on the side of the menu, and you can switch the lobby and network very easily. The multiplayer is separated into playlists which are all a single gametype, such as team deathmatch or warzone. Each playlist can also be played as a ranked or quick match, where you can either wait for a team and enemy team (ranked) or join a constant server of ongoing matches, which are a continuous playlist where it only ends when you leave (quick).
Multiplayer is much more customizable than before, as you can pick your Locust character, your COG (human) character, your rifle, shotgun, and weapons skins. Characters and skins can be unlocked by various achievements and the like.
If you don't like competitive multiplayer, there's also modes called horde and beast, where you fight off waves of enemies.
For the multiplayer, I give a 10/10. Not to mention it's much better than the other GoW's, GoW3 is much more multi-friendly and is very gripping, exciting, and packed with constant action.

Possible customization options for the Gears of War 3 multiplayer.

Third, I will cover graphics and sound. The graphics in this game are stunning - quite detailed models and textures are visible throughout the entire game. Quite an amount of detail has been poured into the creation of this game, as you can see here:

You can also turn off the blood and gore for younger players or if your playing near children.
For graphics, I'll give a 9.8/10 - the blood splatter doesn't sit well with me, but the gore is fantastic.
Sound: the sound experience is also very nice; explosions and machine gun fire lighting up the battlefield make for a great experience, as well as the status yelled out by the characters. Sound, 9/10.

As to cover replayability, the multiplayer and arcade campaign can keep you occupied and happy for a long time. While the multiplayer can be quite hard at times, there hasn't been a moment where I've played GoW3 and been disappointed.

Now, to sum it up in pros and cons:

Pros:
Great campaign and multiplayer - a rare combination.
Stunning graphics.
Very good replayability.

Cons:
Multiplayer can be hard at times.

Overall: 9.45/10 This is a great game, and I definitely recommend. Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-12, 04:40 AM

VixusKragov's Flag is: USA

Very good review!

As a sidenote, how awesome is the Horde game type?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-12, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Horde is really awesome - one of my favorite gametypes. If you don't know how it works already, GoW3 has Horde 2.0, where you can now spend money you gain from killing Locust on fortifications like barriers, turrets, silverbacks (an assault walker suit thinger with plenty of dakka), sentries, and decoys.
I also forgot to mention that there you can unlock mutators (basically like the skulls in Halo) which you can use in horde. Some of those are super reload, vampire, and comet.
Fun stuff.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 04:11 AM

TheLaughingMan's Flag is: Australia

I really like the fact they put beast mode into this game! Just the fact you can play as the locust and destroy their fortifactions and play as a bezerker is still pretty awesome!
I do love play COG though because the gears are Badass and so are the Carmine Brothers! If you want the true experience and most avid Gears of War fans will agree with me you have to play it on Insane! You end up screaming at the screen for hours on end! I mean come on' I don't know what other game i'd rather spend time on! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

TheLaughingMan

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 07:16 AM
Warlord of Vermin

TechPr1est's Flag is: Australia

ive played one and two and from this i can tell you your reveiw is accurate though i still havnt got my hands on three

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Bruva Alfabusa
"My first model had so many layers of paint, that an excavation team could probably find fossils in it".
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-12, 03:37 AM

TheLaughingMan's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPr1est View Post
ive played one and two and from this i can tell you your reveiw is accurate though i still havnt got my hands on three
Well if you've played Gears of War 1 & 2, then get ready to be blown away by the third! Seriously what're you waiting for? Go! Get it now! Play it and enjoy it! It's so freaking awesome! You'll be so addicted to this game! I know I am!

TheLaughingMan

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-12, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPr1est View Post
You should. 3 feels much smoother, easier, and less clunky than 1 & 2.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software > Video Game Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode