Street Fight X Tekken - A review for the heretics - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-12, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

Default Street Fight X Tekken - A review for the heretics

:WARNING:
Thread contains opinions, which have been knwon to bring the Exterminotis to many a world!!!

Hello heretics, I try pop in once in a while provide a review of games that I feel are worthy for you all, my last was about the re-boot of Mortal Kombat, whcih as many of you may know I reccoment highly and I never felt the need to review the awesome that is Skyrim nor Mass Effect 3. I apologize ahead, that if I compare to MK a bit, but it is tough trying not compare any new fighting game to MK, considering how many awards it has won and how good it was, so anyway here go.

Street Fighter was the pioneer for many of the fighting games we have today and was where the bar was set for what gamers expected from the genre, Tekken was where the bar was set for when the genre moved into the 3D realm. We have seen Capcom make many a vs. style games between SF and X-Men, Cap. vs. SNK, and the famous Cap. vs. Marvel, all of which hat their hits and their misses. Now we have a good old fashioned throwdown with SF and Tekken and it is phenominal, not quite as good as the fighting game of the year, but very close.

The plot is very sub-par, but then again their are very few fighters out there with an amazing plot, but what is interesting is unlike many of the vs. games, there isn't any of this two paralell universes colliding nonsense, instead we see that all these characters have existed in the same universe all along, but never crossed paths until now, becasue of one extraordinary occurrence.

The gamplay is a smooth moving fighter with a tag system that works really well, often times I find these tag-team fighters very annoying to manage and tend to take away from the overall experience of the game, but in this case it was well incorporated in the game and makes the experience even more fun. Unlike most Cap. fighters you are thrown into a fight and have to figure it all out on your own, which often turns away players who are just not that hardcore of gamers, but here we see the game actually teaching you it's mechanics and how to utilyze them, the mission and trial levels, will help any player understand how to use whichever character that they fancy and will help to extend the life of this game. In a snese this game can be enjoyed by the casual player and the hardcore OCD gamers. Cap. did away with many of the strange configurations of movements to accomplish a special move and simplified it enough to not detract from the game, but also make it a challenge.

There is this one feature in the game that oddly enough adds more fun to it all, the gem system! I often shy away from many of the Cap. fighters simply because they tend to not have any balance and it has always been who can be the cheesiest a-hole in the game, this time though they achieved some well needed balance and even with the inclusion of the gem system it still has balance. Your probably are wonder what is the gem system, well it is a system that gives the player the ability to equip several gems that will enhance there characters and give them a slight advantage over their opponents, but they also have drawbacks as well, you have two catagories here, the assist type and the boost type, an assist type has gems that allow the simplification of certain moves in the character's repitoire, but will detract from the overall damage these moves do, and the boost type will beef up a paticular attribute, such as the characters speed or strength, but when equipping these you have to meet a paticular criteria to activate it, such as, you may have to be hit several times to be able to gain the bonus.

(cont. in next post)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-12, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

The gamplay as I said is smooth and can be quite fast paced, there is a wide selection of moves at your disposal and the cross meter will also help you in your fights and can be utilyzed either to enhance a move slightly or pull off the super in your face, so badass it make you wanna slap your moma combo move, or it can even be used to have a little help from your tag partner. The tag system is fun and easy to use, unlike MVC3 all one needs to do is press two buttons together and bam, instant tag out, one can also pull off a slight stylized attack which once the hit connects will tag in your partner and they can continue forth into a combo of a sort and there are many other weird ways you can utilyze the tag systems as well. The game also features some fun different modes of play for the single player and the guys that just hate facing a non-human opponents. Before I move onto the dark flaws of the I must add the visuals of the game are fun colorful and really make the game something look at and the sountrack isn't half bad either...

Now on to the flaws the game, no game is perfect, lest we forget the wild glitches of Skyrim. Content lacks a bit in the game, so far I have seen only goofy titles being unlocked and the typical achievments and trophies, the customization portion where you can change your characters' color scheme lacks a bit, where you only get a few color choices, which seems to be quite bland choices at that, but I hear that there will be more color palletes available later on in the form of DLC, so I assume be ready to drop a small amount of cash to be able to dress Bison in some Slaaneshy pink gear, the game can become a button masher pretty quick and some will feel that the overall graphics is slightly lower than most expect.

Over all though its an awesome game worthy of your time if you choose to pick it up, a slight learning curve maybe, but once your used to the style of the game you will have a a good time. I say for any fighter genre fans or even the rpg player that just wants to play some sensless button mashing to break the monotny, give the game a shot, no its no Mortal Kombat and you won't be ripping your opponent's head off , it is still a good time. It has the The Spore's seal of approval and if I had to apply a scale I say on a 0-9 scale we are looking at an 8.75, great game with a few lacking areas. Now if only I could get a game where I can have Mileena and Chun Li in a tag team together, one can only dream....

I hope this helps out some of you out there next time your in the market for new fighting game, and if any of you have something add go ahead and let it out.

For the content factor I feel the game has a large amount and yet a lacking amount at the same time, there is without a doubt plenty of choices in characters and I ensure that any player will find a favorite team and will still find countless alternate teams to use, the roster is huge spanning up to 40 fighters and they say its only going to grow larger as the DLC content is released, as of now on the March 13th we should see Pac-Man( yes you herad me ) and crappy box art Mega Man joining the fray.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-12, 04:18 PM

Anfo's Flag is: USA

Nice review! SRK is blowing up over this (a bunch of Capcom fanatics), and my friend just got it so I'll probably get to play today after school.

I just hope this one is better than UMVC:3 that game's to button mash and win.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-12, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfo View Post
Nice review! SRK is blowing up over this (a bunch of Capcom fanatics), and my friend just got it so I'll probably get to play today after school.

I just hope this one is better than UMVC:3 that game's to button mash and win.
It is way better than MVC3, I have spent way more time playing MK and this thus far has been the only fighter I can enjoy. I will say this though it plays more like a SF game than it ever will aTekken game.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-12, 02:55 PM

They are doing tekken vs street fighter for sept (according to play.com) - which will be tekken game mechanics

Street Fighter vs Tekken - Not a fan. I bought it and realised as long as I pushed all the buttons rapidly at once I could win with my back to the screen. I prefer more tactical fighting. But if you liked the last couple of SF games you'll like this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-12, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret79 View Post
They are doing tekken vs street fighter for sept (according to play.com) - which will be tekken game mechanics

Street Fighter vs Tekken - Not a fan. I bought it and realised as long as I pushed all the buttons rapidly at once I could win with my back to the screen. I prefer more tactical fighting. But if you liked the last couple of SF games you'll like this.
Well, I wrote this review before I found out about all the BS DLC practices that Ca$com was pulling with it. I can't wait to see what Namco does with the crossover though, it just sounds much more interesting.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software > Video Game Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode