Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary review - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-23-12, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Default Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary review

Halo Combat Evolved: Anniversary review

Halo Combat Evolved: Anniversary is a FPS game available for the Xbox 360 for 39.99€

Halo CE Anniversary is a remake of Bungie`s beloved game "Halo: Combat Evolved". With remastered visuals and sounds, will 343i`s remake of this classic stand up in the modern day competition ten years after its original release?

Halo: CE picks up straight where Halo: Reach ended. Humanity is on the verge of extinction at the hands of a merciless alien coalition known as "The Covenant", which seeks to annihilate humanity. You step into the boots of Master Chief, a Spartan-II super soldier. Aboard the ship Pillar of Autum, you have stumbled onto large ring world, known as a "Halo".

You and an A.I called Cortana escape to the ring world, fighting the Covenant with everything from gun to teeth in a guerrilla war, which accidentally awakes a greater threat than the Covenant...

Graphically the game is good. The new HD graphics look quite spectacular, and while they are not on par with the years graphical hits like "Crysis 2" or "Battlefield 3", they are still above most games. The game is also playable in 3D, but I have not been able to test this out due to not having a 3D TV.

A great addition to the game is the option to reverse back to the original graphics at the press of a button. It is quite a sensation to swap between the graphics, and see just how much technology has improved in the past ten years. One small flaw in this system is that the screen blacks out for about a second when the swap is done, which is a small annoyance.

The game plays exactly like it did ten years ago. After having spent a few hundred hours playing Halo: Reach, it took me a moment to get used to the old controls. The game plays well overall, but vehicles like the Warthog control a bit sloppy.

The games A.I is also exactly like ten years ago, and while it is still fine, and surprisingly on par with several modern day games, it will not feel as too much of a challenge for veterans of the more recent installments in the series.

The game is also playable in Co-Op over Xbox LIVE, which together with the hidden Skulls and Terminals, add several hours of entertainment and replayability to the package.

The games multiplayer runs on the Halo: Reach engine, and is thus playable with the Reach community. The game adds a new playlist, called "Anniversary", to the package, along with a combination of remastared multiplayer maps from the first and second Halo games.

The multiplayer is still among the best on consoles, with great balance, excellent maps and enough unlockables to keep you occupied for the better part of a year.

Overall I give Halo Combat Evolved: Anniverary a 8.5/10. The game is the same excellent package it was ten years ago, but the A.I starts to feel old, some of the controls feel a bit sloppy and old glitches are still present, which ends up dragging the game down slightly compared to the modern day competition. But with lots of replayability, the campaign of the decade and excellent multiplayer, Halo CE Anniverary is definitely worth its cost, especially since it is a budget title.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

Last edited by Doelago; 02-23-12 at 06:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-23-12, 06:58 PM

Excellent review mate. I've yet to pick up this game actually, but am looking forward to doing so as CE is still my favourite of the series.

I will get around to writing some reviews at some point. I have several that I want to write, I just need to find the time amongst everything else.

Regards,
Jake.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software > Video Game Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode