Dreadnought Assault DLC review - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-12, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Default Dreadnought Assault DLC review

Yah, this is me throwing down my review for the new "Dreadnought Assault" DLC for Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine. The PC version of the game and DLC was used in the bellow review.

The "Dreadnought Assault" DLC pack adds three new multiplayer maps to the game, and the new game mode, Dreadnought Assault.

Dreadnought Assault is basically like "King of the Hill" or "Domination" from other games, but with a twist thrown in. The team which captures the control point gets a random member elevated to the role of a Dreadnought. The team with the Dreadnought tries to capture control points, until they win the game by reaching 20, or until the opposing team manages to blow the Dreadnought up. If the Dreadnought is destroyed, the capturing stops, and a new Dreadnought Control point is spawned, and the formula starts again.

The center point of this DLC is of course the Dreadnought itself. The Dreadnought not only comes with an immense amount of health and though armor, but it sprays death like no ones business. The Dreadnought is armed with an Assault Cannon/Auto cannon and a Power Fist/Claw with an under slung melta gun. I was slightly surprised the first time I used the thing about how amazing it feels to play one. You are a god bestriding the battlefield and no one can stand in your way. Apart from when like four of them come with anti tank weapons and tell you to "fuck off".

I have spent around ten hours playing with the DLC now, and have spent relatively much time playing as the metal beast, and at times I have managed to stay alive entire games and get kill ratios along the lines of 50+ kills and no deaths, while in others I have died relatively fast against a determined team. While killing it sounds imposing, it is very much doable. I have smashed it apart with thunder hammers, and even gotten a lucky bolt pistol kill against a very damaged one.

There is one flaw with the new game mode, and that is when it ends up in a game with only, say, three or four players per team and with such a low amount of players it is nothing short of impossible to kill it while at the same time trying to defend the control points. But this situation is rare, for the player count in this game mode is very, very high, and thus it does not take long before the game fills up to full teams.

One thing I would like to see added in the future is a Dreadnought Customizer, for as it is, you are stuck with an Ultramarines and Black Legion one, depending on your faction. But I am yet to see someone complain about this, for you will be too busy slaughtering stuff to care about such small details.

Overall I would rate this DLC a strong 9/10, and it is a must buy if you own this game.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

Last edited by Doelago; 01-29-12 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-12, 10:56 AM
stevey293's Flag is: Scotland

Just got it and its saying i need more content so guessing you need the addon with the other maps too. Dont have time to download just now but i'll give that a go later.

Taking limited free commisions again. PM for info.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-12, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Hmm? You do not need the "Chaos Unleashed map pack" to use the Dreadnought Assault DLC. But you cannot play in the Chaos Unleashed map pack play lists.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-12, 04:44 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Great review on this bud! Kinda makes me want to buy the entire game!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-12, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinn24 View Post
Great review on this bud!
Thanks mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinn24 View Post
Kinda makes me want to buy the entire game!
*cough*http://www.g2play.net/store/Warhamme...Steam-Key.html*cough*

Also, a second short clip.

I suck hard while recording cause the game moves very, very slow on my own screen when I have Fraps running at the same time.

Last edited by Doelago; 01-29-12 at 05:03 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-12, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Glorious, that looks fucking epic. Now the only question running through my mind is: whens the DLC that'll allow us to control one in exterminatus mode coming out?

Lets seem them orks give me a hard time on the final wave with one of those bastards holding the firing line.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-12, 08:41 PM
Great Unclean One

Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

OK, that assault cannon's giving me the fucking horn. I may have to get this game after all...

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-12, 01:02 PM

As others have said, awesome review mate

Regards,
Jake.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software > Video Game Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode