What songs/bands got you into your favourite genre? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-13, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Feed

Default What songs/bands got you into your favourite genre?

Like the title says.

I was first brought into metal late during my high school years. Now and then on a weekend i could make it to gw, rarely could I buy anything but back in those days it was a good place to hang out as well as a shop. They would have various metal bands playing, some from the store manager and some from a few of the regular customers.

There was Hammerfall, Iron Maiden, Dragonforce, Rammstein and a whole lot of others. Didn't take me long to get the taste for a heavier brand of music than i was used to before and i haven't looked back in the decade since.

What about you, heretics?

Nonsense is our Salvation

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-13, 02:21 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

My sisters are 4/6 years older than me and were in to 90's punk rock pretty heavily. Got me listening to NOFX, Bad Religion, Propagandhi and many others before I hit my teens. From there I just kept going back in the punk rock thing to Black Flag, the Minutemen, the Dead Kennedys, the good old stuff. Had a bunch of friends in jr. high and high school that got me into thrash and metal, but it never stuck as well as the punk. It always sounded like they were taking it way too seriously at times...and now, being a musician and getting put on metal bills (despite being in a punk band) I see that I was pretty bang on with that thought as a kid.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-13, 04:42 PM

Myen'Tal's Flag is: USA

In Flames' "Reroute to Remain" and "Colony" album pulled me into metal, but I consider myself kind of selective of the bands I listen to. From there I got into Killswitch Engage, Amon Amarth, and just a handful of songs from Lamb of God.

Used to listen to bands like Dragonforce and Disturbed, (which I still listen to a few favorites from the latter) but lately I find myself looking into metal bands with female lead singers. Old Nightwish, Unsun, Amaranthe, and Delain as well(though I'm sure if Delain is trying to be metal anymore, still good though).

I still listen to other genres of rock: Songs from X Japan like I.V. & Silent Jealousy, or When You Were Young by the Killers.

Haven't really looked back since!

“Evil is relative…You can’t hang a sign on it. You can’t touch it or taste it or cut it with a sword. Evil depends on where you are standing, pointing your indicting finger.”
-Glen Cook, The Black Company

Tales of Heroism and Bravery, in the 41st Millennium and the Old World. Perhaps some Realm Gate Wars in the future .

Gods' Hall (Completed)
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=161618

The New Word (Completed)
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=121879
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-13, 05:23 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

I have a pretty wide taste including everything from classical, blues, some techno, rock music, and metal/death metal.

The bands that got me into death metal were Dark Tranquillity's "the gallery", Therion's album "secret of the runes", and In Flames' "the jester race/black ash inheritance".

The songs in particular are:
Dark Tranquillity: Lethe
Therion: in the Desert of Set
In Flames: Dead God in Me

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-13, 09:11 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

The album that started it all for me was Power Slave by Iron Maiden, a friend of mine bought it because the cover looked cool, got it home, listened to the first song then phoned me. I then moved onto heavier stuff, first Slayer, then Bolt Thrower, Napalm Death and all the other bands that used to appear on Earache promos.

Later on I got more into the punk side of things, this was more a matter of actually going to gigs with friends and seeing bands I wouldn't have normally listened to. Through watching live stuff I got into Sick of it All, Madball, Conflict,The Exploited and Chaos UK.

Over time my love of extreme metal and punk sort of melded together into liking bands like From Ashes Rise, Tragedy, Warcollapse etc.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-13, 05:17 AM

High_Seraph's Flag is: USA

The song that pulled me into the symphonic metal genre was "Heaven's a Lie" by Lacuna Coil. Saw the video on headbanger's ball a long ass time ago and really have been a fan since. Got into Nightwish and Delain as well as Sirenia and Theatre of Tragedy.

Jesus wasn't the son of GOD, he was just a Master of Alteration.
^elder scrolls joke^

"Loyalty is its own reward."
Lion El'Jonson.

Remember: Read more Manga and other books as well!
Try: The Breaker
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-13, 05:54 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Vanilla Ice got me into Rap (yes I still listen to him to this day) Dr Dre got me into harder Rap.

First big alternative rock band I got into was Green Day but Disturbed locked me into the Genre.

Older rick would have to be AC/DC or Metallica

Pop would be Michael Jackson.

I listen to damn near ever genre so I could list someone for everything. Electronica: bjork, Horrorcore: ICP, Punk: Wheatus, etc
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-13, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinn24 View Post
Punk: Wheatus,
Saywhatnow!?!?

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-13, 03:50 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

^ That upset me as well.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-13, 08:24 PM

I could possibly, maybe, just about take either Green Day, Sum 41 or Blink 182 at a stretch but Wheatus?

With so many great bands to choose from, The Ramones, The Stooges, Black Flag, The Sex Pistols, The Buzzcocks, The Clash, Exploited, Conflict, Sham 69, Fugazi, UK Dogs, The Damned, GG Allin and the Murder Junkies, Doom, Aus Rotten, Disfear, Discharge, Amebix, The Anti Nowhere League, The Misfits, A Flux Of Pink Indians, Warcollapse, Terrorizer, Napalm Death, Extreme Noise Terror, Tragedy, Victims, Wolf Brigade, From Ashes Rise, Brutal truth, Nailbomb, Crustina Aguilera and the Cockney Rejects.

Wheatus

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Music Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode