Guide to Selling Warhammer on Ebay - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-24-14, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Guide to Selling Warhammer on Ebay

I've had mixed results selling Warhammer on Ebay. The first time I actually got pretty good money, the second time I sold in mass quantity I had bad luck, and almost didn't want to sell ever again. I've actually had a lot of experience selling Warhammer and Warhammer 40K on Ebay. There is a strategy you can use on Ebay. This applies to anything games workshop related. The most important thing is to find out what is in the market and what is not. The reason why I'm writing a thread is because I do care about you getting the best buck you can get for your models. Especially if they are painted and properly taken care of.

First-Find out What is in the Market
Perhaps this seems harder than it is, but it really isn't. Part of it is going to Tactica sections of this forum and seeing the most popular units in an army. This is extremely important. Think about it, if your unit is not in demand you are selling a product that won't be purchased by actual players unless they just like cool models. This is extremely important if you also are trying to sell several units to armies at a time. Not only do I usually oppose selling whole 40K armies because people who buy on ebay are either looking for cheap, or want a couple cool models that are painted well that they can take credit for. Buying a whole army painted takes away pretty much 90 percent of the fun from a player. If you also have undesirable units, then you have made your army a complicated deal.

Selling units separately opens the market to many other people to buy your units. If painted well and taken care of, you can even over price your unit. By "overprice" I really mean adding a price to how much labor you have put into your model. You will notice that unpainted models are in abundance, and it is not uncommon for unpainted models to realist even when they are .99 cents. It pays to paint them well to even average standards, so that you salvage its value and perhaps make a few bucks from it.

One example, I sold 3 obliterators separately for 40 bucks each, well painted back when they were in high demand. Now with the new codex, it would be extremely dangerous to get any real value unless you are basically giving them for free.

Choose a Good Time Frame

This goes somewhat with marketing your product. However, one must think about the Warhammer community and their need for that particular product. This goes with the particular army your selling especially. For example, some armies have not had an update in quite a while. It is much preferable to sell your product to players who have gone to GW, and bought that cool models and need those basic models. Having your models available during that time provides armies with backbones, at a descent price. For example, at this time, trying to sell a Britonian or Bezerker Army for 40k, would be extremely hard if you wanted to get a descent price and not loose money. Also, being aware of good BL novels in Black Library can also attract certain hobbyists who are simply looking to make a cool army based off that awesome novel they just read. As the wise Mourice would say, choose a likely period where customers will be able to get money. Different countries or areas have different usual payment periods. Apparently in Sweden they get paid every 25th-27th of each month. Sometimes taking advantage of holidays as well as tax returns.

Selling Tips

There is already a thread on simple selling tips on ebay made by bitsandkits Selling you Miniatures on Ebay a simple guide. A few highlights I would like to mention is describing and making your product look good. SERIOUSLY! Pictures mean everything! Most importantly, find a friend who will take pictures of your products. A couple other serious things are lightning and using a proper background for your product. Plain white backgrounds and nice war hammer battle field backgrounds are best. Don't half fast it. I'm not talking about using plain white paper as your white background. I did that once and wow did I get one fourth of the original views and watches I use to get. I'm also not talking about putting some green crap thats supposed to look like a Warhammer 40K scenario. Some people get a simple green sheet of crap that is suppose to substitute for a good background. Seriously, you have to make a scenario where the buyer pictures himself with the product. White backgrounds can highlight the details of your product if you are a good painter. If you are an average painter, taking a good picture of your specific model on a GW board actually does a world of difference. Don't forget to use a descent camera. Seriously, you need to make some friends if you can't find someone who owns one.

Auction vs. Buy Now

It is important to know that different products sell differently on ebay, and the fact that most would like that ideal scenario in which people start bidding on your product. From much of my experience, I can tell you that unless you want a really, really cheap outcome then its probably better to sell on Buy Now. There are several reasons why bidding makes the seller unhappy when selling his Warhammer product. Firstly, most refuse to start the bidding really cheap, knowing it is very probable that they will lose money. Understandable. I mean what if your units seriously sell for 99 cents to maybe 5 bucks. It happens a lot. Secondly, if they put it in bidding and start the price too high then it scares away those customers that like bidding. There's a difference between bidding and buy it now customers for the most part. Most bidders, tend to be really cheap and bid 50 cents at a time. Having something that isn't all the way cheap pretty much scares your cream of the creme. They are willing to watch you re-list your product three times until you lower it even more. This is degrading for you as a hobbyist and a person trying to get some money. Purchasers for the most part are looking to get it right now with no BS. This is why I think a set price is usually the best. Of course, one must be smart about a reasonable price. Unlike bidding which is 7 days for a max of 28 if they relist, Buy it Now lasts 30 days and can also realist. For me this entails a reasonable price of your product vs a completely new product. It shouldn't be ridiculously expensive but on the other hand you should get what you deserve. In my opinion bidding only works if you have an excellent camera and your model is very finely detailed. As such, painted models of such caliber do have a good market that should not be abused. From experience, its best to sell these models... or squads, 3 times per week. Having too many kind of inflates the demand including your own products.

Don't Sell Yourself Short

This is probably the best and biggest advice. You have to worry about Ebay Fees, shipping fees, as well as the time and energy you spent on that model. Don't sell yourself short. Many people are desperate for money and overreact and sell their models really cheap. You will regret this. By the time you check your bank account, it is more common than not that you may have lost money or received an amount that makes you really feel bad. You will not sell your product right a way most of the time. As such, be patient, take your time, make sure you are selling your product as best as you can. The odds are that though it could take it longer than you want to properly set it up, it is more than likely that you will still sell it faster at a better price than you would if simply sold it with bad pictures and as a cheap looking product. Ebay is a place for cheap people to get their best price. This much is true, but my years in retail have always deduced that even the cheapest people respect a business or person who represents their product professionally. This is no cliche or BS, this is very true. Note that I do care that you are able to sell your product to the best of your ability. This is actually what you want! You are selling these to make money, so do so! This also helps the price of your future and other people's warhammer products. When someone desperately wants to sell a primed tactical squad of space marines for under ten bucks, they really bring the price of used warhammer products for the entire community. Firstly, I'm sure thats not the price they want, and secondly, its not what anybody wants.

Anyway, I hope that my advice helps. You will notice that most of my advice is aimed at painted and finished products. The reason for this is that an unfinished product is out of control of the sellers hand. The fact is that the product is cosmetically bad looking and possibly damaged, no matter how careful you are. Glue and shaving the model has literally damaged the original model. In fact, plastic glue is designed to melt the parts together. As such, the painting and care of the product is a substitute for replacing the value of the original price. Selling unfinished models with shipping is usually what makes people lose money. This is something to think about when selling warhammer.

Last edited by ckcrawford; 07-24-14 at 01:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-24-14, 09:17 AM
Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

I would advice the Aspect of financial timing aswell. People tend to be less priceaware the first week after payment. I've seen a tenpack of ork Nobz go for 6$ the week before and 60$ the week after. Now in Sweden almost everyone get their pay between the 25-27th of the month. Don't know about the rest of the world.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-24-14, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Thats actually pretty good to add. I'm going to add that to choosing a good time frame.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Trading Area > eBay Listings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode