Boyz before Toyz (Simple mistake in writing ork lists) - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-14-10, 11:58 PM

Crimzzen's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfCheese View Post
Boyz can generally do everything that Nobz can.
Boyz can take on almost anything in combat, and win.
A unit of Nobz is slightly better if you want to take on MC's and stuff, but considering a squad of Nobz is over 3 times the price, id rather 3 squads of Boyz.
Leave the MC killing to Lootas, and finish off the last couple of wounds with Boyz if you want.
I disagree. A nob biker has nearly infinite (Ok maybe not that many) uses over a regular boy. The biggest I can think of are wound allocation, T5, FNP, 24" of movement /w a 3+ cover save, multitude of wargear options.

Sadly, in the days of space wolves, blood angels, and imperial guard, the humble boy isn't what he use to be. Granted, they are still good model for their point cost, they don't compare to the above for their point cost.

I generally don't disembark my boyz anymore - they sit in their battlewagon doing drive-bys and ramming things. Generally, they can't stand up to some of the newer marines or the torrent of firepower put out by guard.

This is where my nob bikers come in. They are still my old reliable killing unit. Able to multi-assault and win - finally turbo-boosting onto an objective at the end of the game (who doesn't make these guys scoring?!). As long as the wound allocation rule existings, these guys will always be a rock solid unit in which arguably no points are wasted.

Allouttabubblegum? - 40K Blog - contains batreps, tactics, and all my work including past and present! Sign up today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-10, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Tossy's Flag is: Australia

This is my fault. When I moved this from my computer on HO I didn't I was not talking about nob bikers or meganobz. The nobz I was talking about was nobz on foot or in a trukk or wagon. It appears I used an old version of my file. It was meant to say "This does not include biker nobz" and under meganobz it had "meganobz like biker nobz have their place"..

bah, fixed. Thanks for pointing that out.

But my point remains valid. Nobz are crap compared to boyz, and are the same price. They can do nothing boyz can't and honestly I'd rather take grots

Last edited by Tossy; 09-15-10 at 12:53 AM.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-10, 04:54 AM

KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia

Painboyz can have bikes.

Nob Bikers are the ONLY way to run normal Nobz.
If Nobz dont have bikes, then their job is better left to Boyz or Meganobz.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-27-10, 07:59 PM

So I'm fairly new player but I have been reading a bit and playing on my spare time. I often see the comment here that Boyz can do everything Nobz can. I don't find this to be the case at all, pretty much ever.

I normally have a 7nob squad, PKs Painboyz, cyborgs, armour etc..That squad with a WB is a beast squad and stands toe to toe with most other beefy squads it has faced including Thunder Wolf Calv.

Also considering that in most of the games I've played I'm facing normally 2 LR's if not 3. In which case 1 nob with a PK in a 20/30 boy squad has a pretty low chance of penning AV14.

In terms of the Meganobz yes they are +2 unless they are Vs. PW which everyone has of course, in which case...ooops their dead.

Bikers I haven't experimented with yet, I have been somewhat avoiding it since it seems to be an Ork I WIN staple but I do want to try them.

So since I'm knew I'm thinking that possibly I'm misunderstanding how....

30Boyz + Nob PK = 3PK's, FNP, +4 Armour, +5Invuln at WS 5 (w/banner) ? Obviously it's a point issue but the nobz will toe to toe and destroy many things the Boyz can't.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-28-10, 04:08 AM

Wolf_Lord_Skoll's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graith View Post
So I'm fairly new player but I have been reading a bit and playing on my spare time. I often see the comment here that Boyz can do everything Nobz can. I don't find this to be the case at all, pretty much ever.

I normally have a 7nob squad, PKs Painboyz, cyborgs, armour etc..That squad with a WB is a beast squad and stands toe to toe with most other beefy squads it has faced including Thunder Wolf Calv.
But how many points is this unit worth? How well does it fair against Hammernators?

Also considering that in most of the games I've played I'm facing normally 2 LR's if not 3. In which case 1 nob with a PK in a 20/30 boy squad has a pretty low chance of penning AV14.
How many points are we talking here? At 3000 points and so on, some units are effective that never would be in more 'normal' games of 1500-2000

In terms of the Meganobz yes they are +2 unless they are Vs. PW which everyone has of course, in which case...ooops their dead.
But said PW kill normal Nobz just as fast.

Bikers I haven't experimented with yet, I have been somewhat avoiding it since it seems to be an Ork I WIN staple but I do want to try them.
There is no such thing as an "I WIN" button. Nob Bikers have many weaknesses that balance them, but they are better than normal Nobz thanks to speed and such IMO.

30Boyz + Nob PK = 3PK's, FNP, +4 Armour, +5Invuln at WS 5 (w/banner) ? Obviously it's a point issue but the nobz will toe to toe and destroy many things the Boyz can't.
The biggest thing is, yes Nobz are powerful. But they are relatively fragile for their price. A single Nob with Power Claw can take a few Nob buddies or a TON of Boyz to be his meatshield. In 1500-2000 point games, The cheaper Boyz w/ Nobz option cuts less into your points, allowing you to bring things like Burna's, Lotta's, Trukk's and so on.

Then there is always the volume of attacks to consider. Sure, Boyz can't dish out S8 PW hits, but they can dish out many more S4 attacks per point than any Nob ever could. This can force many failed saves and chew through things like Marines well enough. Likewise, Nobz can fall down to a huge number of attacks like Boyz can, but Boyz are less effected by high power shots (ie Plas/Melta ect.)

Remember that if you wipe out your opponents unit in their turn, your unit is stuck in the open for their shooting phase. The optimal time to take destroying an enemy unit in combat is often two phases. Start during yours, locked during their shooting phase, then finish them off in their combat phase, ready to move again in your turn.

So in summary, Boyz are cheaper, less effected by high powered shots and can dish out a high volume of attacks. Nobz have their place, but it is most effective when they are either Nob Bikers (High speed and resilience) or Meganobz (High resilence and better point efficiency).
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-28-10, 05:52 PM

Most of the games I play are in the 1750-2k range, and while I understand the usefulness of boyz squads I'm not sold changing out my nobz for more boyz. This probably also has a lot to do with my limited experience and the people that I am playing normally.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-19-11, 04:46 PM

BobbyDaBlue's Flag is: USA

Its sad but true Nobs are to expensive to make worth while but I love me some Mega Armor Nobs!
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-03-16, 01:41 PM

Default Hey

I'm a complete noob and want to start playing with my friends, who are already veteran player. I simply LOVE the orks and am very thankful for your hints. Could you help me with my 1000pt. army? Do you think that I should go with transports? And how many boyz would you recommend?
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-03-16, 02:52 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Last post here is from 5 years ago so I'm not sure how much help will come your way, but if you post up with what you have in the Ork army list section I'm sure someone will be able to help
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-16, 04:34 AM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeier View Post
I'm a complete noob and want to start playing with my friends, who are already veteran player. I simply LOVE the orks and am very thankful for your hints. Could you help me with my 1000pt. army? Do you think that I should go with transports? And how many boyz would you recommend?
We can help you with a list write one up and post it in the army list section. Also you might want to read more recent tactical articles because now days it is toys before boyz with orks but we can talk about that later.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > Tactica Articles > Ork Tactics Articles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode