Necron Tactics - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-20-12, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Necron Tactics

Necron Tactics

A Unit Overview

The first step of understanding basic Necron tactics is gaining an understanding of the units within the codex. This tactica article will break down each individual listing by Force Organization Chart (FOC) slot and give a general rating on that unit, from my perspective and from the input of the Heresy community.

Please follow these links for quick access to the different posts regarding the FOC (these links will be provided at each post to facilitate jumping back and forth within the Necron Tactics thread).

Imotekh The Stormlord

Seems like the number one choice of higher point armies. Bloodswarm nanoscarabs and Staff of the Destroyer are fairly hit or miss. I have yet to encounter an army of Necrons who uses Flayed Ones, as for the staff, 2d6 range is on average 6 inches dealing a single wound. You're better off using it to try to blow up a transport to assault the units inside. He has powerful survivability with 2+3++ saves with a d3 wound regain on everliving. Phaeron means he has the ability to grant relentless to his attached squad. He steals initiative on 4+ except against Orcs which it cannot be stolen against. Though this is overshadowed by his ability to force Night Fighting for typically 3-4 turns and the lightning bolts that come with it.

Grade= A+

Nemesor Zahndrekh/Vargard Obyron

I've inclued Obyron into Zahndrekh's because if you take one, the other doesn't count as a HQ choice, and in terms of fluff and Necron Tactics, the two units work rather well hand-in-hand together.. Nemesor counts as an Overlord and gives the royal court. Vargard does not. Lets start off with their wargear. Zahndrekh is a 2+/3++ save with a staff of light and a resurrection orb. Obyron has a 2+ save and a warscythe.

At the start of each of your turns as long as Zahndrekh is on the field, you can take away all of the following from an enemy within true line of sight and you can give one of them to one of your units. (You do not have to see your own unit to give it to them and the enemy unit you pick doesn't have to have the one you give.): Counter-Attack, Furious Charge, Hit and Run, Night Vision/Acute Senses, Stealth, and Tank Hunters, which can be an interesting way to modify your Necron tactics to the opponent at hand. He can also bring in ANY unit from reserve that are able to deepstrike on the enemy's turn in response to an enemy deepstrike.

Obyron can, instead of moving during the movement phase, warp himself to anywhere on the field via deepstrike. Even if hes locked in combat. He does not scatter if its within 6" of Zahndrekh He also uses this to teleport into any close combat Zahndrekh is stuck in (He does not bring his unit with him in this case.) He builds up extra attacks for every failed to hit roll against him to a maximum of 6 bonus attacks. He can get up to 9 attacks at str 7 with no armor save.

Grade= A if used in conjuncture. A/C if used seperately. I feel that Obyron would be more useful by himself if he had counter-attack.

Illuminor Szeras

A unique Cryptek Lord, he has your longer range anti-tank weapon and defensive grenades. He also is able to upgrade a single unit of warriors or immortals with a random boost. T, BS, or S. Hes 55 points more costly than a similar equipped Cryptek and in my opinion his augmentation is minimally useful given that 1/3 of the time its going to give you something that is beneficial in close combat, somewhere Immortals and Warriors should be avoiding in all possible situations, fairly unviable for any sort of competitive Necron lists and use with competitive Necron tactics.

Grade= D

Orikan the Diviner

Now this is my personal favorite HQ. He's a Cryptek Lord and thus doesn't gain a royal court but in my opinion makes up for it with his close combat fury. He has a power weapon that can reroll failed to hit rolls, you can reroll all unsuccessful reserve rolls in a turn once per game. He has a growing chance to gain power similar to a C'tan shard in infantry form every turn that goes by. His final power lets him cause all movement in the first turn by the enemy to be difficult terrain. This is most powerful in conjuncture with a Writhing Worldscape C'tan which will be covered later. When empowered, his fierceness in close combat opens up some varied Necron tactics as opposed to the standard gunline.

He comes equipped with a 3++ save and a 12" Exile Ray. If it hits, random select model in the unit and strength test. If it fails, auto casualty.

Grade= A

Anrakyr the Traveller

A Necron Overlord with the ability to override vehicle targeting systems. Yeah, that got your attention. You get to pick a vehicle once per turn within 18" and in his LoS. 3+ and you can fire it as if it hadn't moved, which in addition to standard Necron tactics, is a nasty surprise for your opponent to have his own vehicles attacking him. You still have to fire from its facing and what not but you can fire all its weapons as if it hadn't moved. You can use all of his one shot weapons attached to the vehicle as well. I find this to be of great benefit against hunter killer missiles, deathstrike missiles, ect. He also upgrades a unit of Immortals into Eternals, which gives them Furious Charge and Counter-attack. As he also has these, he is best placed in a unit of these Eternals.
He has a single one shot ranged attack and should then close into combat. The single shot is a STR 10, AP 1, infinite range assault weapon.

Grade= A-

Trazyn the Infinite

A rather unique unit. He counts as a Overlord so you can include a full royal court. He also counts as a scoring model, which makes him a godsend if you're playing objectives. He turns any unit hes with into an objective scorer. He also gets a 4+ everliving and a 2+ "I'm gonna replace one of my Lords/Crypteks/Overlords/Lynchguards with myself and laugh at you as I regain the objective in a minute". His ability to claim objectives grants your Necron tactics greater flexibility with an inherent ability to limit troop choices and widen up your FOC. He also grants relentless to his squad. His unique weapon is such that if he kills a model, every model with the same name (e.g. Ork Nob to Ork Nob) in the combat rolls a d6. 4+ causes a wound which an armour save can be made against. Unfortunately this also works against us if hes say with a unit of Necron warriors and fighting a unit of Necron warriors.

Grade= B+

Necron Overlord

Being able to have a full court is the most useful aspect. It's a very cheap unit for its power. Can be upgrade to Phaeron to give his squad relentless, and a number of wargear options give them great flexibility with regard to your Necron tactics. As for wargear, I'll cover that with the court.
(Wargear: Phylactery, first revive from reanimation gives D3 wounds)

Grade= A

Destroyer Lord

Jump Infantry, cannot claim a court. If for some reason you're going for a wacky close combat unit whose powerful, I'd get him and stick him with a squad of Wraiths.

Grade= C

Overlords and Destroyer Lords can choose to take a Tacyon Arrow. 1 shot Vehicle Exploder.

Royal Court:

0-5 Lords/0-5 Crypteks.
I'm not gonna grade the Royal Court as they're more of a huge benefit to the Overlord. I'll let you judge them.

Necron Lord:

If you have the points for a resurrection orb in every squadron you're going to easily make back the points you lose as they get destroyed. A Lord in a squad of warriors with a resurrection orb only needs to resurrect 4 warriors to regain his points. 1/2 chance per dead warrior, those are good odds of you regaining those points.

Wargear Options:

Hyperphase Sword - Power Weapon
Gauntlet of Fire - Template weapon which rerolls failed to hit/to wound in CC.
Voidblade - Rending and Entropic
Warscythe - +2 Str and +2d6 armour Pen. No armour saves.
Sempiternal Weave - 2+ armour save.
Mindshackle Scarabs - Causes your enemy to go insane and attack his own unit. if he fails a leadership on 3d6.
Tesseract Labyrinth - Single Shot: D6 current wound test. If failed, removed as casualty.
Ressurection Orb - 4+ Reanimation Protocols. Best Upgrade. EVER. - It should be noted that this is best placed in large squads to fully utilize its recovering ability. It gives another 1/6th of a chance to bring back a model.
Phase Shifter - 3++ invuln save.

Cryptek:

My own build uses strictly Harbingers of Transmogrification, but the customizability of the cryptek is quite nice, and is really the greatest added unique flavour you can give your army, as the Necron tactics that can be drawn from them are very wide. You can only choose one unique cryptek wargear per court. All upgrades except for the staves are unique.

Harbingers of Despair:

Abysal Staff: Anti-TEQ/MC.
Nightmare Shroud: a single unengaged enemy unit within 18" of the cryptek must take a morale check.
Veil of Darkness: Can be used instead of moving normally to deepstrike. Cannot be used if they're locked in combat.

Harbingers of Destruction:

Eldritch Lance: Anti-Vehicle/MC/TEQ
Gaze of Flame: Defensive Grenades
Solar Pulse: Force Nightfighting or Dayfighting.

Harbingers of Eternity:

Aeonstave: CC weapon that if you cause a wound, removes fleet and reduces that models WS, BS, I, A to 1 till the end of the game.
Chronometron: can reroll a D6 roll each phase.
Timesplinter Cloak: 3++ save.

Harbingers of the Storm

Voltaic Staff: Close Range Anti-Vehicle.
Lightning Field: When assaulted, the assaulting unit suffesr D6 str 8 ap 5 hits.
Ether Crystal: Any enemy deep striking within 6" of bearer suffers D6 strength 8 AP 5 hits.

Harbingers of Transmogrification

Tremorstave: 36" Str 4 AP - Assault 1, Blast, Quake (Quake causes any enemy hit by it to treat open ground as difficult terrain.)
Seismic Crucible: During enemy assault, roll D3 and nominate an enemy unit. If it attempts to assault the cryptek, reduce their assault move by the result.
Harp of Dissonance: Infit Range str 6 entropic strike assault 1.

Hive Fleet Tarasque/The Black Legion of Khemri
Battles: 13/3
Wins: 8/2
Minor Wins: 0/0
Minor Losses: 1/0
Losses: 4/1

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
Tzeentch runs GW.

Last edited by Boc; 04-17-12 at 01:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-03-12, 12:29 PM

Gyah. I had a nice post about res orbs and Heresy ate it.

I just wanted to point out your math is a bit off on the value of a res Orb. A res orb costs 2.3 warriors but to claim the value of those guys coming back it needs to be responsible for them succeeding where they would have failed with out it. Thus it can only counts when a model makes it on a 4. Additionally since it only counts for whole numbers, we need three models to make it back. Take that and multiply and we get 9 rolls before on average the Orb will earn back its points. That is a larger number and the important thing to take away is that the bigger the squad, the more chances there will be to make those rolls. A small 5 man (6 with the lord) might survive a round of shooting, but would be unlikely to survive two and thus will never earn its points back.
post #3 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-03-12, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Deathmarks

Rapid Fire snipers who deepstrike onto the field and can choose a single non-vehicle unit to wound on a +2. 3+ armor save. Basic unit gives 10 close range sniper shots. They also have the ability to deepstrike in as a response to a deepstrike on your opponents side, allowing them to position for reprisal, thereby granting very adaptive Necron tactics to an army that includes them.

Grade= A

Lychguards

These are your overlord's protectors. If you have a character you don't want to die, attaching him to Lychguard is your best bet. Trazyn works particularly well with them. They are one of our completely CC units which typically gives them the role of protecting your flanks from the enemy.

Grade= B
Wargear:

Warscythe: (Anti Vehicle/MC)

These will increase the Lynchguards to Str 7 and give them +2d6 on armour penetration. They're also power weapons.

Grade= B

Hyperphase swords/Dispersion Shields: (Defensive/Anti Infantry)
Power Weapons but the kicker is the dispersion shield. Giving the Lynchguards a 4++ save. If its against a shooting attack, you can bounce the hit to a unit within 6" if you save. If theres no enemy, it just disperses. The shield even reflects blast templates (only the hit itself and not the physical template), thereby meaning an enemy Vindicator or some other vehicle can blow itself up. In terms of shield wall and close combat Necron tactics, a very viable strategy and build.

Grade= B

Triarch Praetorians

Our famed Jump Infantry. These are our best quick response defensive unit. Well equipped to move and protect whichever flank your opponent is trying to assault. They will hold themselves in combat fairly well with a toughness of 5 and a 3+ save.

Grade= B

Wargear Options:
Rod of the Covenant (Anti TEQ/IC)
A solid short range anti-TEQ weapon as well as a power weapon in close combat.

Grade = B

Voidblade/Particle Caster (Anti Vehicle/MC)
Gives the unit entropic strike and rending in close combat as well as a str 6 ap 5 pistol for the extra attack.

Grade = B

Flayed Ones pack

They are our cheapest close combat unit with Reanimation. I'd deem them a glass cannon, due to 3 attacks per model with 1 wound each. They are best if you include Imotekh since he can force them not to scatter within 6" of a random enemy unit. You want to get these bad boys into close combat as quickly as you can. Which shouldn't be hard with Infiltrate/Deep Strike but they're not fleet so keep to the cover when you can. Given the restrictions and capability, they don't rate for my FOC slot. No competitive Necron tactics would really perform overly well with Flayed Ones, as other units perform the job better, both cheaper points-wise and cash wise.

Grade= D

Triarch Stalker

Personally, I like walkers. Especially walkers with living metal and quantum shielding. Until they score a penetrating hit, its armour 13/13/11. In close combat, they have to be str 7, rending, or something of that nature to even pierce it. Sure once a penetrating hit happens, its pretty screwed what with being open top and all but it'll hold its own.
As for ranged, it has nice versatility with its ranged options and the targeting relay, which gives anyone shooting at the same target as it twin-linked if it scores a hit (Doesn't matter if it wounds or has effects on a vehicle). The stalker is very predisposed to mass-fires necron tactics, as the volume of firepower that can be leveled twin-linked at a target can be staggering. (SHOOT THIS FIRST).

Grade = A

Vehicle Upgrade:

Heat Ray: (Anti Infantry/Vehicle)

2 firing modes. 24" Str 8 AP 1 Heavy 2, Melta or Template Str 5 Ap 4 Heavy 1. Take your pick, they're both pretty powerful and the biggest bonus is you can choose while in game.

Grade= A

Particle Shredder: (Anti Infantry)

24" Str 7 AP 4, heavy 1 large blast. Anti Infantry, theres no other way to spin this.

Grade= C

Twin-linked heavy gauss cannon: (Anti Vehicle)

36" Str 9 AP 2, Assault 1, Gauss. Anti Vehicle. Gauss doesn't really matter when you're shooting at Str 9. If its not a penetrate on a 6, you're shooting at something that doesn't exist.

Grade= C

C'tan Shard

The Fire Magnet. People have an unrational fear/hatred of the Shard. It's a very powerful unit with Eternal Warrior and a 4++ save. It ignores difficult and dangerous terrain as it moves across the field. WS5/S7/T7/I4/A4? As far as Necron tactics go, this here is your best unit to throw into the masses before they attack so they got bogged down in combat against something that they can't really hurt. Not to mention, when he does explode, he explodes d6" dealing str 4 AP1 hits. You want to wipe out that annoying squad bearing down on your gunline, throw a shard into it.

Grade= A

Powers:

Entropic Touch
In my opinion useless. It gives the Shard Entropic Strike. Most infantry he'd fight are 1w and any vehicles already have to contend with his str 7 against their rear armour.

Grade= D

Gaze of Death
Now this one is a beauty. Large blast centered on the shard. Str 3 hit with no armour save to all under it (don't have your units fight with the shard). If any wound is caused, it regains a single wound. This happens after all blows are struck in every assault phase.

Grade= A

Grand Illusion

Allows you to redeploy D3 troops. You can move units into or out of reserve with this and move them to anywhere where deployment is viable. A tacticians dream.

Grade= B

Lord of Fire
Anti Flamers/Meltas. Roll a 1 and the model who uses it within 12 inches of the shard dies horribly. If its on a vehicle, the weapon blows up. In my experience, folks don't tend to bring too many flamers to the table giving it limited use, except against Sisters.

Grade= C

Moulder of Worlds

24" Str 4 large blast with full saves allowed? Could be useful against Swarm Nids. Limited use in your all comers army.

Grade= D

Pyreshards

18" Str 4 8 shot with full saves. Same problem as Moulder of Worlds. Sure you're gonna hit with the BS score but to wound and then to actually cause a casualty. I'll let someone else post the mathhammer for me and then add it here if you're really concerned.

Grade= D

Sentient Singularity

Is a wonderful ability if you're up against the mechanized armies of 5th edition. The shard cause all terrain within 6" to be dangerous terrain for enemy vehicles and automatically cause a deepstrike mishap if a double is rolled, even if its a hit.

Grade= A

Swarm of Spirit Dust

Offensive/Defensive Grenades. And Stealth. Wow. Stealth on an MC? Yeah, that does nothing for me. Offensive grenades? Why are you assaulting him into cover? He'll get shot up before he makes it there unless you are very lucky.

Grade= D

Time's Arrow
Remove a single enemy in base contact with the shard if it fails an inititive test? No save? Thats a nice ability for taking out Necron special characters or anyone else with a low init.

Grade= B

Transdimensional Thunderbolt

24" Str 9 AP 2 Assault 1. BS 5. Excellent anti-mech.

Grade= A

Writhing Worldscape

This is the king ability in my opinion. All difficult terrain on the field is dangerous. All already dangerous terrain is failed on a 1/2. Think about it. Cryptek's with tremorstaves. Orikan for that first round. This combination is perfect against any movement based assault force. Anyone who needs to get into close combat will have a difficult time.

Quote:
Tzeentch runs GW.

Last edited by Boc; 04-17-12 at 01:32 AM.
post #4 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-03-12, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Necron Warriors:
These are your bread and butter. They come equipped with gauss flayers which are wonderful 24" rapid fire weapons that autoglance vehicles on a armour pen roll of 6. Standard necron tactics still apply with them. They are also the only unit in the army that can select a ghost ark as a dedicated transport. I'll cover that in the dedicated transport section.

Grade= A

Necron Immortals:

Slightly more expensive and more powerful version of the warriors. They cannot take a ghost ark which in my view is their biggest disadvantage. Their power lies in their choice of weapon. A number of necron tactics will be available dependent upon their gear load out.

Grade= B

Wargear:

Gauss Blaster:
24" Rapid fire and gauss like the warriors weapon, with 1 higher str and 1 better AP.

Grade= B

Tesla Carbine:
I love Tesla weaponry. I love the fact that if I saturate the field with them, I will get extra hits. Every roll of 6 gives 2 extra hits. This carbine is assault 1, str 5 24". This wargear is particularly good if paired with Anrakyr given him granting Furious Charge to a single unit of Immortals.

Grade= A

Quote:
Tzeentch runs GW.

Last edited by Boc; 04-17-12 at 01:34 AM.
post #5 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-03-12, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Necron Tactics

Table of Contents

Headquarters

Elites

Troops

Dedicated Transports

Fast Attack

Heavy Support

Dedicated Transports

Catacomb Command Barge

Fast, Open-topped, Skimmer with a Tesla/Guass cannon.
Honestly, it seems like this is alot of points to sink into a sacrifical unit. It doesn't fit how I play or anyone else I've seen. I can see it being useful to whizz across the field hitting things with the sweep attack ability but to me if feels like a point sink. Anyone who can be mounted on it is better off in a unit in my opinion.

Let it be noted that there is much debate on this transport and people will argue that it is one of the most efficient use of points in conjuncture with a War Scythe Overlord. Their views have caused me to raise it to a C in my personal opinion: Decent but not for my playstyle, however my style of necron tactics are not for everyone, as shown in it's rating..

Grade= C (Some folks say its an A.)

Ghost Ark

Everyone's favorite transport. It can hold 10 models, has 2 sets of gauss flayer arrays (5 gauss flayers each side that can target two different units) and the ability to resurrect warriors who have failed their reanimation protocols roll. Every turn you can gain a D3 of models to the unit up to the maximum that the unit had originally, and really boosts the survivability and staying power of the necron tactics you use with your warriors. Yes, there's a chance it can cause a glancing hit but unless you're horribly unlucky, it'll be fine.

Grade= A

Night Scythe

Fast Skimmer. Can carry 7 jump infantry, 5 jetbikes or 15 infantry. It can fire its TL Tesla Destructor at cruising speed. I'd say its underrated. Given that more units than just warriors can get it, I find it to be an easy way to correctly use spare points if you fill up your force org chart. Due to it's speed, it is best suited to necron tactics that rely on swiftness over the sturdy advance of ghost arks. Let it be noted that unless you have a monolith, if they blow up the night scythe with units inside it, it is very difficult for them to rejoin the fight in a useful manner since a unit inside it is placed into reserve when the transport is destroyed and cannot deep strike.
Grade= B

Quote:
Tzeentch runs GW.

Last edited by Boc; 04-17-12 at 01:38 AM.
post #6 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-03-12, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Necron Tactics

Table of Contents

Headquarters

Elites

Troops

Dedicated Transports

Fast Attack

Heavy Support

Fast Attack

Canoptek Wraiths

A CC unit without reanimation protocols but has a 3++ save. Fearless doesn't particularly hurt them. They should be giving better than they're taking. They have 3 attacks and are rending, giving them a nice edge against vehicles and TEQ. They're jump infantry that aren't slowed by difficult terrain and automatically pass dangerous terrain. This gives you several approaches that are unfathomable due to typical terrain options, opening you up to deployment and movement necron tactics that would not be available to standard "jump pack infantry."

Wargear:
Particle Caster:

12" Str 6 AP 5 Pistol. Eh, you're better off fleeting them and charging them into combat.
Grade= B

Whip Coils:

Reduces any enemy in base contact to initiative 1. Truly useful in conjunction with a time arrow from a C'tan Shard or if you can get it into base contact with a particularly powerful independant character.

Grade = B

Transdimensional Beamer:

12" Heavy 1 Exile Ray. random selection removed casualty on a failed strength test. Having just used a Monolith Exile gate to great effect, I can totally see the use in this against TEQ units.
Grade = C

Canoptek Scarabs

SWARM! No seriously, these are only good if used in conjunction with Spyders. 3 wounds, 4 attacks. They're good at chipping away armour from vehicles but at WS 2 they don't hit well in combat and are easily destroyed from blasts. They're best used as a unit that sits in the back and counter assaults.

Grade = C (if used without spyder) B (if used with a spyder).

Tomb Blades

Very Customizable Jetbike. Biggest advantage is its upgrades. These are best used for character hunting and artillery hunting.

Wargear:
TL Tesla Carbine:
24" Str 5 AP - Tesla. Assault 1.

Grade= B

TL Gauss Blasters:
24" rapid fire str 5 AP 4.

Grade= C

Particle Beamer:
24" Str 6 AP 5. Heavy 1, Blast.

Grade= A

Nebuloscopes:
Gives the unit BS 5. That speaks for itself.

Grade= B

Shadowlooms:

Gives the unit stealth. I'd be able to comment more if we actually had models for them but I imagine its not terribly useful, given that anything that gives cover will mostly prevent them from shooting to full capability.

Grade= D

Shield Vanes:

Armour save 3+. Biggest upgrade for them in my opinion. 3+ armour with a 5+ reanimation gives them a nice surviability.

Grade = A

Necron Destroyers

They may be fast attack due to being jump infantry but all signs point towards using these as fixed emplacement cannons. Once in position, odds are these won't be moving a whole lot. Greatly gimped in terms of applicability to new necron tactics when compared to the old codex.
They are powerful ranged, weak in CC.

Grade= B

Wargear:
Gauss Cannon:
24" Str 5 AP 3 Assault 2.
Gauss is important here if targeting vehicles, but this is more used as anti-MEQ.

Grade= B

Heavy Gauss Cannon:
36" Str 9 AP 2 Assault 1.
Anti Vehicle/Anti TEQ.

Grade= B

Quote:
Tzeentch runs GW.

Last edited by Boc; 04-17-12 at 01:40 AM.
post #7 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-03-12, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Necron Tactics

Table of Contents

Headquarters

Elites

Troops

Dedicated Transports

Fast Attack

Heavy Support

Heavy Support Choices

Doomsday Ark

A solid anti... everything. BS 4, 13/13/11 till the first penetrating hit. Stationary Salvo: 72" range str 9 ap 1 large blast. Combat Speed Salvo: 24" Str 7, AP 4 blast. I mean... Dang. I love it. It is however a large target. If someone tries to hit it with a blast, even with scatter, its likely to hit it. Its living metal but open topped. So odds are you won't have to worry about crew shaken. This will be a fire magnet which given its armour and point value makes it slightly less desirable. To effectively work it into Necron tactics, multiples would need to be brought, and that gets expensive.

Grade= B

Annihilation Barge

Like everything else, BS 4, 13/13/11 till the first penetrating hit. Comes standard with a TL tesla destructor. Which is amazing given its ability to jump from the target unit to everything within 6". Yes, that includes your units. Its 24" Str 7 Assault 4. If you land even a single wound, watch the fireworks explode. It's simply awesome. It's also a fairly small vehicle giving it a wonderful ability to hide in cover when it needs to.

Grade= B

Vehicle Loadout:
Tesla Cannon:
This heavy support is strictly anti infantry. In my opinion, this is the upgrade you want.

Grade= A
Gauss Cannon:
This dilutes the purpose of this vehicle. Given that it must fire at the same unit, it won't do any good for being gauss. Minor upgrade for anti-MEQ.
Grade= C

Necron Monolith

Big Mamalith. This used to be the standard for the Necrontyr. It has given way to the new Barges and Arks. But don't be fooled. It hasn't lost as much as people claim it has. It's still a 14/14/14 beast. And anything assaulting it better hope they blow it up, cause it can now open an Exile gate, sucking units into the abyss in close combat, which is certainly an entertaining necron tactic. It's biggest advantage is it has 5 weapons. Which can all target separate targets except for the particle whip which must be fired as the only weapon if you choose to use it. a Large blast str 8 AP 3 large blast pinning weapon (Particle whip) and 4 24" Str 4, AP 5 gauss weapons (Gauss Flux Arcs). The Exile gate can also be used as a portal to rescue units from danger or to move units from off the field onto it if they need it. (but not in the same turn that its been used to suck things in.)

Grade= A
Doom Scythe

We have no model for it. I can't wait for the day we do. Its double the cost of an annihilation barge but it has the power to warrant it. This is our glass cannon of vehicles, equipped with a TL tesla destructor like I mentioned earier it also comes with a unique "Death Ray" which creates a razor thin line begining within 12" and blasts through 3d6" from that point. Every model in the path suffers an automatic hit. Str 10, AP 1. This is on top of the fact that its a fast skimmer that can fire all weapons at cruising speed.

Grade= A

Canoptek Spyder

The Spyder is our repair unit. Its the true meaning of support though I question its use in combat. Its main ability: Scarab Hive, can only be used if you have a scarab unit within 6" of the Spyder. Otherwise its wasted points. It is a Monstrous Creature and its strength lies in that fact. You can have 1-3 of them and can have different upgrades for each of them giving you 6 wounds before you have to remove a model. Who else has MC squads?

Grade= C (B if used with Scarabs)

Wargear options:
Fabricator Claw Array:
Repairs vehicles. Really it'll only counter immobilized and weapon destroyed. It can be useful but isn't overtly so in my opinion.

Grade= C (B if used to create complex squad).

Gloom Prism:

3" anti psyker field. This is a godsend as a monstrous creature against any psyker's force weapon. Apart from that, I don't see it amounting to much.

TL Particle Beamer:

24" Str 6 AP 5 Blast. Softens them up for CC.

Quote:
Tzeentch runs GW.

Last edited by Boc; 04-17-12 at 01:43 AM.
post #8 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-03-12, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbess View Post
Gyah. I had a nice post about res orbs and Heresy ate it.

I just wanted to point out your math is a bit off on the value of a res Orb. A res orb costs 2.3 warriors but to claim the value of those guys coming back it needs to be responsible for them succeeding where they would have failed with out it. Thus it can only counts when a model makes it on a 4. Additionally since it only counts for whole numbers, we need three models to make it back. Take that and multiply and we get 9 rolls before on average the Orb will earn back its points. That is a larger number and the important thing to take away is that the bigger the squad, the more chances there will be to make those rolls. A small 5 man (6 with the lord) might survive a round of shooting, but would be unlikely to survive two and thus will never earn its points back.
True, I'll have to add that to the original post and mention that it should be taken into account when doing the math hammer. Thanks for pointing it out.

Quote:
Tzeentch runs GW.
post #9 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-03-12, 02:42 PM

The Sturk's Flag is: USA

Very nice! Though it should be noted that for Zahndrekh, his ability takes away not one, but all of those special rules from an opponent, but still grants one of them to an ally.
post #10 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-03-12, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

True and I also have to include that its use is limited by true line of sight.

Quote:
Tzeentch runs GW.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > Tactica Articles > Necron Tactics Articles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode