Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Introducing Alexious

825 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  TheKingElessar 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have been playing GW games for the last 20 years and was a Space Marine player when 8 terminators came in a box all metal and guardsmen carried lascannons on their shoulders.... (I feel very old). I took a long hiatus from 40k and fantasy as real life and work got in the way but have recently returned to the hobby. In the meantime I survived on the odd game of WHFRP and Necromunda with a few mates.

The last time I played seriously was 2nd edition, but had several lackluster attempts at making a dark eldar army several years ago. I have recently dug out my old guard minis, (what the hell I will do with robots and chaos beastmen who were part of my original army I have no idea). I found my old (to me they are the new!) praetorian and mordian minatures however and am looking forward to both playing and repainting..... (The way you paint when your 14 and you think your so cool...cringe...)

Anyway... hello to everyone. :)

#2 ·
Hello there Alexious, and welcome to Heresy-Online. Its good to see another player of the older editions, as there are not that many of us running around. I hope that you enjoy your stay, and that your repainting endeavours go well for you.

Good luck, and good gaming,
-Trevor D.

#3 ·
Hi man, welcome to Heresy. I started playing in 2nd Ed, you're not alone in remembering Tanglefoot grenades and Mole Mortars! :laugh:

#6 ·
After I finish redoing some painting am happy to do so.... I am currently working out a themed army based on something old from the past the preatorians are giving me plenty of inspiration to go with the old guard command figures. Now all I have to do is work out what to do with a Zoat...:shok:

#10 ·
Zoats were part of the original Rogue Trader game. In essence they were the foot soldiers of the nids. However they looked like big six footed lizards, basically if memory serves... about half of your nid force had to be Zoats. Thats about where I left them, but I remember just as I left the game and 3rd ed was approaching they changed the back story about the Zoats. Imagine them a bit like a lizard looking centuar, would be a good description I guess.

Supposedly they were also capable of speech and were used as diplomats by some nid hives in an attempt to parley/subvert with the humanesque type races of the known galaxy. (The Imperium was a much more forgiving and not so anti-Xeno place in earlier editions, something that might interest newer gamers, see what I recall below).

They were kind of phased out of production early to my memory. Probably not the most popular of races. I had one as a gift from a relative who was thinking yeah he is into that new warhammer thing I will get him a minature or two.

As for the other now what are really dead races? (I am sure others remember more.) There was the Jokero? Jokaero? were a race of giant apes who made digi-weapons, which were favored in Rogue Trader edition by the Inquisition as rings which were capable of being flamers and needlers. The beastmen were mutants which were used much the same as what today I assume conscripts became inside the Imperial guard. (Cannon fodder and actually gave the guard some CC punch) From what I see the only abhumans left today in 5th edition appear to be the Ratlings and the Ogrynns. There were also the Squats who were based off the fantasy dwarves too. In fact I think, and its a personal opinion, that GW had the original idea that the races of the fantasy world would eventually all populate the 40k galaxy. I do recall the Slann as well but never played with them or against them or even know if they had rules at the Rogue Trader level of play.

I do remember that Ogryyns were always associated with the Imperial Guard and that they had a particular affinity for Commissars as being the divine will of the Emperor or his representative. It was hinted at in places that the Space Marines were the leaders of Xenophobic/Anti-alien movement within the Imperium and would refuse to serve at times with abhuman forces. However my reading of the new works thus far lead me to beleive that this view now appears to be more widespread in todays game backstory.

Well I hope that answers your question :) Sorry if I overloaded you with information and I am sure that others will probably correct me if my memory has faded. One thing I do remember is that Harlequins were a very popular choice of army and they could take looted vehicles from other races and they would repaint them in their own multi-colored designs. (You can imagine the fun of playing against a serious Space Marine opponent when a pink and bright green polkadot with purple love hearts rhino would streak across the field of battle, they would target it with everything they had!).

#11 ·
You have a good memory, although the Zoats were (apparently) originally allies of the Eldar, before the Nids came along, and they decided they fitted better with them. Harlequins also had access to Land Raiders, and I believe they could put a Dathedi on their ex-Imperial vehicles, as they did with their Jetbikes, Dreadnought and Robots (later Wraithlords/Guard)

IG had access to the Rhino and Land Raider, as well as Jetbikes being all round. IG had suicide bombers. Imperial Assasins didn't have Temples, but did get Vortex grenades and all sorts of other cool junk.

I'm fairly sure the Slann never had rules per se, although there was a suggestion some of their descendants still existed somewhere. The Jokaero haven't gone, actually, they're now mentioned as having one or two worlds somewhere, I;m a bit hazy on the details, but they're mentioned in the 5th Rulebook. As for Squats, theres a chance they may be reintroduced as a race called the Demiurg, mentioned intermittently in the fluff, although them ever actually seeing the light of day again is slim. Thats all the supplementary info I have at the minute, in this, the "Welcome Alexious, PS, here's some Rogue Trader trivia" thread :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.