New person on the block - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Fall in Heretics! The place for new members to introduce themselves, ask questions and be welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-09, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Default New person on the block

Hi, I've just started looking into Warhammer Fantasy after hearing about it from a friend and watching a few games. I guess I finally decided RISK wasn't enough of a strategy game for me, and this seems like a good replacement.
I had a few questions, if you guys wouldn't mind helping me out.

-I looked at the armies on the Games Workshop site, and Tomb Kings seems interetsing. Anyone have any comments on them?

-I have seen two kinds of rule books out on the net, one being just Warhammer, with a skull and a hammer on it, the other being the army specific books. Do I need to buy both? Or are the rules covered by the generic Warhammer book in the army specific book as well?

-Does anyone know if a paint kit is included with many of the starting packs? Or do I need to by those seperate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-09, 02:49 AM
U Mad Bro?

Chaosftw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Lansbringer View Post
Hi, I've just started looking into Warhammer Fantasy after hearing about it from a friend and watching a few games. I guess I finally decided RISK wasn't enough of a strategy game for me, and this seems like a good replacement.
I had a few questions, if you guys wouldn't mind helping me out.

-I looked at the armies on the Games Workshop site, and Tomb Kings seems interetsing. Anyone have any comments on them?

-I have seen two kinds of rule books out on the net, one being just Warhammer, with a skull and a hammer on it, the other being the army specific books. Do I need to buy both? Or are the rules covered by the generic Warhammer book in the army specific book as well?

-Does anyone know if a paint kit is included with many of the starting packs? Or do I need to by those seperate?
Hello and welcome!

I am not a fantasy man myself so your Tomb King Question is out of my knowledge range but your other questions are not overly complex.

You have 2 different books and yes you will need to purchase both. One consists of all basic rules that Warhammer Fantasy has. The Smaller codexes are the Army Specific ones. They are any special rules / army building information that the army requires.

As for the paints they will need to be purchased separate. This imo is better because it allows you to paint as you want not how the generic army should be painted.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Chaosftw
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-09, 04:28 AM

gwmaniac's Flag is: USA

Welcome to Heresy, man! I thought RISK was a bit too complicated as well, the only thing I did with the game was play with the little toy soldiers (there were so many of them!!) Anyway, glad you're starting Fantasy!

My comments on Tomb Kings? They're freakin awesome! I'm not a competitive gamer, so I just love the looks of them and the chariots, and they've got probably one of the only good battalions in the Warhammer range, besides the Lizardmen. And yes, you'll need both the rulebook and the army book to play, one gives you the rules of the game, the other gives you the rules of the army and its stats. And unfortunately, you've gotta buy the paints separately, but your local GW always has a paint bar available, and with Tomb Kings, painting is a snap! Hope this helps you on your new hobby! Enjoy your stay!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-09, 12:41 PM
Must keep painting....

squeek's Flag is: United Kingdom

Welcome to the forums! I recommend that you post your questions in the Fantasy area as you will find more Fantasy players will see it and comment on it. We have had a couple of long discussions about Tomb Kings in General Warhammer that would probably be helpful.

As others have said to play the game you need a general rulebook and a specific armybook. The general rulebook comes in two varieties, the one in Battle for Skull Pass is a smaller size with no fluff the large one has lots of background fluff at the end; both have the full rules. The Armybooks detail all of the specific rules for each army and include a fair amount of background story.

You can get a Battle for Skull Pass beginners paint set, but it isn't all that really. There are other sets available too but it largely depends what army you have and style you choose for what paints you need.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-09, 10:19 PM

wertypop's Flag is: England

hello and welcome to heresy online.

Wertypop

Smoke me a Ripper I'll be back for breakfast!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-09, 01:40 AM

Welcome, TK are an awesome army. They are very unique in how they play, so you need to play some games with them.

Couple things I will start with are:

Keep your forces together as utilizing the magic does not allow for easily splitting things up.

Start thinking on a play style you like as you can play very mobile and fast with TK or sit back and shoot and many combos in between. They are a fairly versatile army.

I have about 4k worth of TK I am working on now. Been playing a heavy construct army lately as I love the models.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Welcome to Heresy-Online > Fall in Heretics!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode