Corax - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-09, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Digg40k's Flag is: United Kingdom

Corax

I've been rereading the Horus Heresy series and upon completing Fulgrim I came across something quite interesting. When describing the physical qualities of Corax the author mentions something which could allude to Corax having wings. I was of the impression that Sanguinius alone of the primarchs had wings and I can find no further evidence on Lexicanum or otherwise that Corax also had them, however the evidence is quite compelling.

"The white trim of his shoulder guards was fashioned from pale ivory, and great wings of dark feathers swept upwards to either side of his pallid, aquiline features."

Even more strong evidence can be found later in the book when Corax is described as attacking enemy astartes from the air yet no mention of a Jump Pack is mentioned. So what do you think? For me the evidence is impenetrable to argument.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-09, 09:04 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Interesting... I'll have to look into this. He really is one of the least developed Primarchs.

Off the cuff though, from the description, "great wings of dark feathers swept upwards to either side of his pallid, aquiline features", could also refer to some form of decoration on his shoulder pauldrons, such as stylized raven wings, similar to those sometimes seen on EC models. And as to the jump pack theory, one not being mentioned does not necesarily mean there isn't one. "Absence of proof is not proof of absence." Also, the long established fact that Sanguinius is the only one with wings argues against it.

Good spot though.

KF's Journey Through His Plastic Crack Addiction. 40k, Flames of War, Bolt Action, and more.

01001111 01101101 01101110 01101001 01110011 01110011 01101001 01100001 01101000 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01100001 01101001 01110011 01100101 01100100 00100001
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-09, 09:09 PM

Ultra111's Flag is: England

Well I am certain that Sanguinius the only Primarch with wings.
For you last statement, The Raven Guard use extensive use of Assualt Squads, so I'm thinking the author just assumed that the reder would know of this. I think he did use a jump packeven though its not mentioned. I mean as the Legions where created around their Primarch, I'm sure he would have used Jmp Packs as well.
For the first statement, Im thinking he s talking about the RaveGuard symbol, which has to wings on opposite sides of the shouder guard. I can't see any other reason the aurthor would have wrote it.

Tha my view anyway

Jack
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-09, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Digg40k's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Interesting... I'll have to look into this. He really is one of the least developed Primarchs.

Off the cuff though, from the description, "great wings of dark feathers swept upwards to either side of his pallid, aquiline features", could also refer to some form of decoration on his shoulder pauldrons, such as stylized raven wings, similar to those sometimes seen on EC models. And as to the jump pack theory, one not being mentioned does not necesarily mean there isn't one. "Absence of proof is not proof of absence." Also, the long established fact that Sanguinius is the only one with wings argues against it.

Good spot though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra111 View Post
Well I am certain that Sanguinius the only Primarch with wings.
For you last statement, The Raven Guard use extensive use of Assualt Squads, so I'm thinking the author just assumed that the reder would know of this. I think he did use a jump packeven though its not mentioned. I mean as the Legions where created around their Primarch, I'm sure he would have used Jmp Packs as well.
For the first statement, Im thinking he s talking about the RaveGuard symbol, which has to wings on opposite sides of the shouder guard. I can't see any other reason the aurthor would have wrote it.

Tha my view anyway

Jack
I take your first point that just because it wasn't mentioned doesn't mean he had no Jump Pack and therefore bore wings. However the way the sentence is structured implies the wings were either side of his face, i.e. rising up from his back and not on his shoulder pads.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-09, 09:41 PM

Ultra111's Flag is: England

maybe on his chest plate? Corax could have had these 'Wings' adorned on his armour, and then either wing would be on either side of his face?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-09, 09:48 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

I found this, whether or not you're right, someone else has been thinking along the same lines.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-09, 10:29 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Fulgrim Pg.464 Paragraph 4 states that 'Corax darted like a dark bird of prey, leaping through the air with his winged jump pack'

So the dark pinions would be in the correct place to frame his face but he doest actually have wings.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-09, 10:29 PM

Coder59's Flag is: England

Hmmm from the whole mention of features it sounds to me like some kind of Helmet Decoration similar to the Dark Angels winged helms.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-09, 12:12 AM

Or it could be a swooping hawks kind of deal you know jump pack with wing decorations on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorothis View Post
Thou shalt not become a crybaby when the Gods turn their gaze away from you and thou rolleth ones like they areth earning thou money. Thou shalt acccept thine defeat and implore the Gods that they may go easy on thine arse next time.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-09, 01:10 AM
The Hammer of Olympia

BlackApostleVilhelm's Flag is: USA

or like dorn's armor, cant remember if it was a halo or wings that were behind his head framing it

Here is the beginning of my fluff for my Iron Warriors Eighth Grand Company http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=51842

"A fortress is a living thing: the commander its brain, the walls its bones, the sensors its eyes and ears, the troops its blood, their weapons its fists. This tells us two things: If one organ fails, the whole dies. And if the whole dies, no single organ can survive alone."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode