Simpsons at risk to being canceled! - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-11, 11:27 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
But episodes like Imaginationland, Christmas critters, Somalian Pirates, Good Times With Weapons, You Have 0 Friends, Elimentary School Musical, to name but a few; are highly original and have nothing in common with anything else on T.V.
0 Friends ripped off large chunks of Tron, Elimentary School musical... If you don't know what that ripped off your an idiot. Weapons ripped off large chunks of many different Animes, and the 'wardrobe malfuction' excuse had already been used in Family Guy. Christmas Critters ripped off The Grinch and Event Horizon. Somalian Pirates or 'Fatbeard' as its properly known ripped of blackbeard and Pirates of the Carribean. And Imaginationland ripped off parts of Sving Private Ryan, The killing of a Chinese Bookie and so many other shows it'd take me too long to name them.

Hell,,, it even rips off itself by reusing large chunks of its own show, which were also rip-offs themselves.

South Park is in no way origional. Its reliance on running gags such as killing Kenny, Butters always getting grounded, Mr Garrison being gay and many others shows this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-11, 11:37 PM
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
0 Friends ripped off large chunks of Tron, Elimentary School musical... If you don't know what that ripped off your an idiot. Weapons ripped off large chunks of many different Animes, and the 'wardrobe malfuction' excuse had already been used in Family Guy. Christmas Critters ripped off The Grinch and Event Horizon. Somalian Pirates or 'Fatbeard' as its properly known ripped of blackbeard and Pirates of the Carribean. And Imaginationland ripped off parts of Sving Private Ryan, The killing of a Chinese Bookie and so many other shows it'd take me too long to name them.

Hell,,, it even rips off itself by reusing large chunks of its own show, which were also rip-offs themselves.

South Park is in no way origional. Its reliance on running gags such as killing Kenny, Butters always getting grounded, Mr Garrison being gay and many others shows this.
OMG that is hilarious.

That isn't ripping off you muppet (I mean that in a nice way, its hard to tell some times on the internet), those are allusions to or homages.

Your supposed to get the Anime, Tron, and other film references. That's called inter-textuality.

Modern audiences consume so much media, that nearly all modern shows make reference to other shows; this can be other popular culture icons, or even other films or T.V shows that a cast and crew previously worked on.

EDIT

Let me give you an example: In the High School Musical episode, the story centers around Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny, avoiding the 'fad' of high school musical ... in other words the episode was being critical of the popularity of the rubbish and utterly fake popular phenomenon that is high school musical.

The were making a social critique i.e. high school music is daft, and all those fake sheep who like it are sad.

Last edited by D-A-C; 10-05-11 at 11:43 PM.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-06-11, 12:18 AM

Davidicus 40k's Flag is: USA

The Simpsons has been around for a long, long time, and if it gets cancelled now it'll be enshrined in the TV Hall of Fame. South Park will probably be up there too, because it caters to a specific category, and Family Guy just falls somewhere inbetween.

"Consequence of Mercy" - Written for KingOfCheese
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-06-11, 12:22 AM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

The Family Guy Blue Harvest etc episode are a homage and a parody. South Park blatently lifts stuff from whatever is popular that week as it can't think up its own idea for what to do, so resorts to cheaply and stupidly distorting other peoples work and calling it origional.

And yet, if its a 'social Critique' as you claim... why does the main cast jump onboard and start singing along in the musical episode, if its all so stupid?

Fact is, South Park aims itself at an even lower level of audience then Family Guy does.... the huge amounts of bodily fuction jokes, racism etc that are the mainstay of its 'gags'... As said, its just not origional in or inovative in the slightest.

But anyway, this threads about The Simpsons, lets not derail it with talk of lesser shows.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-06-11, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
The Family Guy Blue Harvest etc episode are a homage and a parody. South Park blatently lifts stuff from whatever is popular that week as it can't think up its own idea for what to do, so resorts to cheaply and stupidly distorting other peoples work and calling it origional.

Using this argument I could say the same about certain Simpson's episodes... such as the "Beatles" episode!

And yet, if its a 'social Critique' as you claim... why does the main cast jump onboard and start singing along in the musical episode, if its all so stupid?

The "main cast" are 8 year old kids... of course they are going to give into the fad... and when they eventually do, all the kids in school dont care any more because the "hot guy" does not show any interest in dancing any more.

Fact is, South Park aims itself at an even lower level of audience then Family Guy does.... the huge amounts of bodily fuction jokes, racism etc that are the mainstay of its 'gags'... As said, its just not origional in or inovative in the slightest.

But anyway, this threads about The Simpsons, lets not derail it with talk of lesser shows.
To quote Cartman, da fuck? Seriously, is the IRONY in the south park episodes that hard to miss?

Have you watched any of the modern episodes of south park recently? I believe that you should go re-watch them because you have clearly missed a lot of the underlying humour!

The "Tron" episode bares only some similarities to the actual films. It DOESN'T rip off the story in anyway, SP merely uses Tron as a medium to convey their own story about the monster that Facebook has become. In Tron, the film, people use avatars to represent the "users", the SP episode uses this idea to represent a persons online persona that people create with the social device. South park like to draw relevance from current pop culture, like D-A-C said, and use it to tell their own "parodies" of unrelated events.

To tie up, the Simpsons ran its course. The fountain of humour has run dry and it should gratefully bow out of the small screen while it still has a high class image. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Simpsons, hell I can quote a lot of lines from the older episodes, but the modern stuff has just become too dull and boring in my opinion.

Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I'm there waiting... and your not coming out alive!

Last edited by Igni Ferroque; 10-06-11 at 02:35 AM.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-06-11, 06:26 PM

Abomination's Flag is: United Kingdom

To be honest the Simpsons is well overdue for being canceled. The humor died along time ago, the characters have just become pathetic and the story's are worthless. Sometimes you may find a rare gem of a story or a decent turn of comedy but for the most part the show has been dead for years. It was amazing, I loved it as a kid watching it on BBC2 at 6:00pm each evening (and double-bill fridays). It couldn't last forever, time to go Homer.

Also while I don't wish 45% pay cuts on anyone I think the VA's are being incredibly greedy. Most people won't even earn $1 million in their lifetime let alone $4 million in a year, they should be bloody grateful and accept. The fact they get $8 million for doing essentially nothing is just wrong in and of itself but that's another topic entirely.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-06-11, 07:16 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
Also while I don't wish 45% pay cuts on anyone I think the VA's are being incredibly greedy. Most people won't even earn $1 million in their lifetime let alone $4 million in a year, they should be bloody grateful and accept. The fact they get $8 million for doing essentially nothing is just wrong in and of itself but that's another topic entirely.
Acting is 'essentially nothing'? Compared to the ridiculous salaries that athletes are on, i'd say $8 million is pretty competitive to give vibrant and engaging personalities to a handful of characters in the most successful animated series ever. Also i'm curious to see what the Fox exec's are making, seeing as their key contribution seems to be cancelling shows everyone loves.

Personally i only ever watch the simpsons if i have 10-20 minutes to kill before going out, so i'm not fussed if it's finished. But if it's no longer profitable then just jack it in, asking the talent to take a 50% pay cut is bullshit, and seems like a bargaining tactic to me.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-06-11, 10:13 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

i dont for one second think simpsons can be unprofitable, its shown in pretty much every country in the world more than likely constantly, not to mention the royalties they must be raking in on all the merchandise, hell if i dont get something with simpsons on it for christmas its been a bad year. I agree $8 million a year is a lot of gravy, but lets face it in American TV/movie land its not that much, charlie sheen was reported to be clearing $2 million an episode for that pile of crap he called acting and i cant for one moment think more people were watching 2 and a half bumholes than the simpsons world wide. Fox are retarded

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-06-11, 10:36 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
i dont for one second think simpsons can be unprofitable
I totally agree, that's why it seems like more of a dick move to try and reduce their costs.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-11, 04:41 AM
Making Vidya Games

ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

Okay kids, before we start any flame wars about simpsons or family guy, let us go over the rules

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode