Captain America: The First Avenger - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-11, 02:33 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNoPityx View Post
They story is mainly the mainline continuity but the look is more ultimate.
Thanks. I was considering digging out my Captain America comics to refresh my memory. I guess I can just borrow the Ultimates from a friend of mine instead.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-11, 11:13 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Watched it this morning, and I must say I am genuinely impressed with Marvel studios. I've been excited but sceptical going into Iron man, Thor and Cap'n America, and every time i've come out very happy.

As with the proceeding two films, I thought the romance angle was a little weak, but once again they have managed to craft a leading man who can carry the film on his back from start to finish.

The feel of the film is great too, insanely retro and comic book black and white, yet it seems totally sincere.

Now i guess we sit back and wait for avengers. I'm very excited, but sceptical......

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-11, 09:05 AM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Well I managed to get to see it yesturday and i have to say its a very enjoyable film that was defiantely worth my money to go and see. Overall, I'd say it was better then Thor, but not quite as good as X-men... I'm glad I saw the 2D version though, as when I came out from the scene people who'd been seeing the 3D version in another one said that the 3D had been horrible. Not surprising for a movie that was only converted into 3D after production at the demand of the studio rather then by the directors choice... So Tip, save your money, go see the 2D one!

Onto the actual movie. I think they handled the origin part of the film quite well, and the CGI to make Evans look like a wimp was extremely well done. Weaving as Red Skull was very convincing, even if the accent was a bit dogey.. that aside though everyones roles were very well cast.

Now... for the spoilers :

One more thing... am I the only one who didn't like the after credits sequence? I think it was a bad choice to go with a teaser trailer rather then the usual teaser scene.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-11, 05:13 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

Saw this Friday night/Saturday morning.

I was pleasantly surprised at how this movie put the elements of the Capt. America comic book together. The first half with his origin were solid, I have no complains or criticisms there. It looked like the 1940s. I also love how the costume's creation played out.

The movie took its time to set up the scenes and to develop the personalities and motivations of Steve Rogers and others. The pacing of those scenes did not leaving feeling as if it could have moved faster.

The CGI was pretty good. One of my friends said that the proportions were off in a couple of scenes, but I didn't notice it.

The second half, however, did seem like scenes, or parts of scenes (like the lead up to) were missing. This would be my major criticism. Something would be mentioned in one scene and in the following scene, the action or event would be done or in progress. And it happened quite a bit.

The action sequences however, could not be faulted. I mean, wow, they showed off the athleticism and power a super-soldier should have. The one thing I wish that Capt. America could have done is
This is only a minor peeve.

As to the framing sequences that bracket the film. I understand the need for the final sequence, but felt that the dialogue was weak and that the resolutions of some of the plot lines were not handled as well as they could have been.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-11, 08:32 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
One more thing... am I the only one who didn't like the after credits sequence? I think it was a bad choice to go with a teaser trailer rather then the usual teaser scene.
Totally agree with you, on most of your points, but especially this one.

The framing scene at the end was very sloppy and jarring, and I was waiting with baited breath through the credits for the extension to this scene that would make it all better. Instead I got a trailer

At any other point I would have loved that trailer, but after the film it was a let down.

I Agree that they should have closed the movie off differently, and then used the current ending after the credits. You could argue that putting it after the credits would make some people miss it, but the people who care about the avengers build up already know there's going to be a post-credits sequence.

I watched it with 80ish people on opening day, and only 3 walked out when the credits rolled.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode