Originality - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-11, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

torealis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Originality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninman View Post
I found Twilight utterly horrible movie (only seen first). Almost nothing original about it.
This is a quote from my thread about Twilight, and it got me thinking about originality in general.

Personally, I don't think it's a valid criticism to level at anything. A lack of originality isn't a bad thing. So many things that we almost universally love, like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Wire etc etc are all hideously derivative. Is this a bad thing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-11, 06:52 PM

If it is represented in an entertaining and engaging way then its good. If you saw the newer version first, would you have liked it. Like Twilight was one of the only Vampire flicks i ever saw so i liked it. No wait I'm thinking of Underworld, never saw twilight. Personally i try to judge fiction based on the enjoyment i get from it at the time and not worry about where it came from. On the other hand if i spent the whole movie/book thinking "this is just like blank" I'm not gonna be able to enjoy it as much.

A military operation involves deception. Even Though you are competent appear incompetent. Though effective, appear to be ineffective.
Master Sun

Deception is for the purpose of seeking victory over an enemy; to command a group requires truthfulness.

Wang Xi
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-11, 07:42 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

The majority of Black Library, Doctor Who and Star Wars publications (books) are unoriginal.

They're still pretty damn good. Mostly.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-11, 08:13 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

The problem is that there has been so much copy, inspiring by, borrowing from etc down the years, that pretty much everything is no longer origional and will have aspects of something else.

That said, I'm with the view that if its enjoyable, its okay.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-11, 08:21 PM
The Apathetic Sociopath

OrkByTheGraceOfGork's Flag is: USA

Movies or TV don't have to totally original to be entertaining. I'm a sucker for revenge flicks. The biggest gripe I have are with remakes. There are so many stories, fictional and true, and so many great novels that haven't been made into movies. Why do we have to spend so much time, effort, and MONEY on SHIT remakes or the any number of crap "The Beginnings"?

Almost forgot to mention SHITTY remakes of SHITTY movies that were SHITTY ideas in the first place.

Some examples may include:

Conan The Barbarian
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Nightmare On Elm Street
The Omen
Exorcist: The Beginning
Night of the Living Dead
Oceans Eleven
The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3
Walking Tall
Assault on Precinct 13
Bad News Bears
Karate Kid
Clash of the Titans
Footloose
Freaky Friday
Halloween
???

Last edited by OrkByTheGraceOfGork; 07-16-11 at 08:27 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-11, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

I havent seen the new Conan, so I'll reserve judgement, but I loved Ocean's 11, and I also really dug the new Karate Kid, I really, really did.

I'm of the opinion that if you do anything well, it'll be good on some level.

Imagine for a moment that they remade something really recent, like, say, Spider Man (i know the concept is ridiculous, but just imagine). If they do it well, it could be awesome.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-11, 11:03 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by torealis View Post
Imagine for a moment that they remade something really recent, like, say, Spider Man (i know the concept is ridiculous, but just imagine). If they do it well, it could be awesome.
Umm.. they are remaking Spiderman...

On another note though, the origional Conan was good. They've completely screwed over the concept of Conan in the new one.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-11, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

I know, it was a joke.

And it looks awesome (the new spiderman)

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-11, 11:56 PM

The original Conan was awesome, end of discussion.

A military operation involves deception. Even Though you are competent appear incompetent. Though effective, appear to be ineffective.
Master Sun

Deception is for the purpose of seeking victory over an enemy; to command a group requires truthfulness.

Wang Xi
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-11, 03:07 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

In my fiction class, I teach that all stories can be boiled down to seven different plots. And because of that, there are only so many ways a particular story can be told.

I don't have a problem with writers, filmmakers, and such taking a property and remaking it, but the ones remaking it have to bring something new to the property, adding their own spin to it.

As such, I see no point in a shot-by-shot recreation of any movie (which as been done with Psycho and Halloween, I believe).

Taking a prior example--Ocean's Eleven. I've seen both and the remake does do a lot of things differently (no musical numbers, a lot more technology, more criminal tricks of the trade, and a wholly different ending). And because of that, I've enjoyed both (I won't compare Old Blue Eyes and the rest of the Rat Pack with Clooney and the others as that would be comparing apples to oranges).

But I'm with the others, if it engages you and entertains you, then you really shouldn't have a problem. Saying that though, you should have a good foundation of what came before to appreciate (or not) the properties that are coming out now.

For example, I have quite a number of female students that read the Twilight series, but never read Dracula (one of the books that I teach for my fiction class). After reading Dracula, they at least have a better understanding of how this fascination with vampires all started and what Meyers used of the standard vampire lore and that she did put her own spin on things--sparkling for one).

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode