Super 8 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-11, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

Default Super 8

I wasn't sure what to expect going into this movie. It wasn't that I hadn't tried to find out what was going on, but most, if not all the reviews I encountered did not say much, if at all, other than this was a good movie.

Having had a few days to mull things over, I would have to agree that this a good movie. It was probably the best movie I've seen since the year started.

Thing is, if I hadn't been born in the 1970s this might not have resonated with me as much. Let me explain... the movie tries to get the feel of movies from that era.

One immediately noticeable effect is lighting, specifically, lens flare. However, unlike Star Trek in which it was blinding, Abrams actually got it right this time, reproducing the look of a film from the 1970s. The other effect that mimicked movies from this time was the shifting in focus from background to foreground, where the aspect ratio changes for a brief moment.

I remember walking out of the theater and overhearing a woman say to her husband, "This is a movie starring kids that isn't for kids." In some ways, I'd have to agree. And I have to add that all the child actors were very good--Elle Fanning especially.

One of the reasons that I think this isn't a movie for kids is that it is about children, one child in particular, forced to grow up far sooner than he should have.

Yeah, I probably should get around to mentioning the alien at this point... in brief...

If I had to sum this movie up (and this has gone on far longer than I intended), it is the anti-E.T. the Extraterrestrial movie. Take the wonder and joy and replace it with melancholy and bowel-loosening terror.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-11, 01:26 PM

mynameisgrax's Flag is: USA

It was a very good and well made movie. I especially liked the dialog of all the children, because they actually talked with each other the way kids really talk with each other. I especially loved the small kid who was into fireworks and guns. I knew that kid.

My only complaint was with the alien. He was a bit too 'Cloverfield-ish' for my taste.

The first casualty of war is neither innocence nor truth.

The first casualty of war is always subtlety.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-11, 02:40 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
My only complaint was with the alien. He was a bit too 'Cloverfield-ish' for my taste.
Thats what I was afraid of when I saw the previews and whats put me off seeing this movie. I hated Cloverfeild, thought is was one of the worse movies I've ever seen... not seen anything yet to convince me different of Super 8.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-11, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
Thats what I was afraid of when I saw the previews and whats put me off seeing this movie. I hated Cloverfeild, thought is was one of the worse movies I've ever seen... not seen anything yet to convince me different of Super 8.
I can't even watch Cloverfield. I've tried twice and have gotten motion-sick from the shaky-cam shooting technique twice. The thing about the alien is that you don't actually see much of it for the majority of the movie. I would encourage you to check out Super 8 because everything else is that good.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-11, 11:57 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

I disagree about it not being for kids. I think it's one of those films you could watch as a kid and really enjoy, but you can also watch 5-10 years later and enjoy it on a whole other level.

In that respect I thought it was great. The kids in the film were excellent, and they completely carried the film. For a big budget picture with some really good cinematography and FX work, the kids characters were always the most compelling screen presence, and deservedly so.

Quote:
I hated Cloverfeild, thought is was one of the worse movies I've ever seen... not seen anything yet to convince me different of Super 8.
This is the only gripe I really have with the film - the marketing strategy (at least in the UK). From all i've seen so far it's being pushed as a very hush-hush, sci-fi monster movie from the director of cloverfield.

Now, I quite enjoyed cloverfield, but Super 8 is a very different (better) film and deserves to reach a wider audience. I'm sure it'll still do very well, but I hope the marketing campaign won't stop people seeing a great film.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

Last edited by Varakir; 07-17-11 at 11:59 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode