Game of Thrones New Casting - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-03-11, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Another new cast member has been confirmed. Gemma Whelan will play Asha Greyjoy, who to avoid confusion with the wilding Osha, will be renamed Yara Greyjoy. Stupid move, Osha isn't even in the series after season 2, and its pretty obvious. Asha, Osha. Come on.

http://www.tvfanatic.com/2011/08/gem...me-of-thrones/

Lord of the Night

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-03-11, 09:05 AM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

Read about it some time ago as a rumour. So it's confirmed. Nice choice, but changing of name is so fucking ridiculous.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-03-11, 11:24 AM

Hachiko's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Tempered View Post
Read about it some time ago as a rumour. So it's confirmed. Nice choice, but changing of name is so fucking ridiculous.
Wow, just like when I saw the casting pic for Tywin, this is exactly how I pictured the character to look. But the name change is utterly ridiculous. HBO, what a way to call your audience stupid.
As for the Brienne casting, it's a coup. They can use prosthetics and make-up, a la Charlize Theron in Monster, to ugly-fy her. As for bulking up, she can start on the HGH now or maybe they can work digital magic. Dunno, a lot of characters, for obvious reasons, are less physically imposing than written.
The Davos casting is good, but I too would've preferred Robert Carlyle.
Stannis, he looks close enough to the chap they picked for Renly. But I always pictured Stannis looking more harsh, like a young Michael Ironside.
Melisandre, the look is fine, it'll be the performance that makes or breaks it.

Oblviously, the actor doesn't have to look exactly as written to do a great job. I think the girl playing Arya is very good, but obviously she's not 'horse-faced'.

In the end, I'm just dying to see who is cast as Roose Bolton.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-03-11, 12:13 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

The series will be 10-episodes long.

Not only will they try to fit A Clash of Kings into 10 episodes, but elements of A Storm of Swords will be portrayed.

How many things shall they skip or not do justice to because of the time restraint?

Stannis' casting is fine, though I believe there is better choices out there. I hope he is the iron-hard man he should be. Unlike Tywin, who seems almost human in the HBO series.

Davos is perfect, but I would have liked Robert Carlyle.

Melisandre looks okay. I think the actress has too square a jaw, and I have a feeling her hair won't be a fall of fiery hues, but a subdued auburn. Robb's certainly wasn't auburn, and as much as I love Kit Harington, Jon should be to Ned what Gendry is to Robert. Jon looks far too much like Robb.

But I'm not complaining. Actually, I am.

I think I prefer Lena Headey's Cersei and Harry Lloyd's Viserys to George's Cersei and Viserys on the contrary. And I do quite like Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane rather a lot. Nickolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister is perfection least but not last

Asha Greyjoy's name being changed is ridiculous. It's worse than the Others being exclusively called 'White Walkers' which sounds cheesey and gimmicky. George calls them both, but the Others is used more.

In terms of casting I do like Asha Greyjoy. This is how I always imagined the Greyjoys here and I think they nailed it.

Oh, and even though I dislike her face, this is how I think Melisandre (and dare I say Jon Snow?) ought to look. You may disagree, but it's how I like to think of it. Her hair is like a blessing from R'hllor himself.

Plus, I wouldn't put it past HBO to either garb her in a motley red cloak, or something totally 'original' and retarded like the Kingsguard.

Anything else to rant about?

Yes, costumes. The series is yet again hit-and-miss. The Lannister armour, crimson and gold, looks stunning. But the Kingsguard is an utter joke. Their helmets are clumsy and look like a hideous cross between Mermen and Greek Corinthian helmets. Totally impractical for close-combat. Not only that, but their cloaks are cream not white. Seriously, why change that? And finally their armour is slightly gold. I'm sure many a fan has confused them with Lannister soldiers, not the pearlesque Knights of the White Tower that they should be.

/rant.

Last edited by bobss; 08-03-11 at 12:24 PM.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-03-11, 02:10 PM

I agree with most thing you wrote(except Lena Headey as Sercei, her character is better portrayed in books, and I don't mean visually). Visually, series is mostly a miss. King's landing looks too exotic, which might suit Dorne, but certainly not King's landing. Eerie also looks terrible, and many, many other things. Most costumes I don't like. And some things don't seem to be lack of budget, just wrong vision or need to exaggerate contrast between different people and regions.

About actors, yes, many don't look same as in books, but hey, let's face it, you can't find actors that look exactly the same, know their job and are willing to play role. Bigger problem is different characterization of some characters than in the book. Though some actors do look terrible, Joffrey and Sansa are too fucking ugly.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-03-11, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

The name change is a really bad idea, and the reason they are giving it is the worst i've heard yet. Any fan of the series, who has read the first two books, knows that Osha departs the series at the end of A Clash of Kings and won't be returning until The Winds of Winter, so how can we get the name Asha confused in the future seasons where she is more prominent with a character who won't even be around?

On a side note this is what I have always pictured Asha looking like.

http://tronodehierro.com/wp-content/...dyironborn.jpg

And this is how I picture Melisandre, it has the perfect red eyes that I picture her having.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/images/P.../ffg_ffs55.jpg

Now the current actors. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Kit Harrington, Maisie Williams and Harry Lloyd are perfect. I picture them whenever I envision Jaime, Jon, Arya and Viserys now. These are the actors that I feel have really made the roles their own, and I hope we see Harry Lloyd as Viserys again in the future, despite being dead.

Cersei and Tywin are too good it the series, and the main reason for that is we can't hear Tyrion's inner thoughts where he tells us what they are really like. Tywin having his wife raped, Cersei being cruel to him throughout their lives. The key example I think is the scene where Tywin sends Tyrion to King's Landing to rule, in the TV series this looks like a moment where Tywin finally admits his son has the skills he needs, and that he trusts him. But in the books Tyrion, correctly, thinks that Tywin is writing Jaime off as dead and has to rely on Tyrion as all he has left. That is the Tywin we need to see in the series, and I have a feeling in the 3rd season we will.

As for the new actors. I think Stannis looks good, provided that he has shaved his head. Stannis's baldness is one of his marked contrasts from his brothers and that should be preserved. A more recent photo would be better but I think Stephen Dillane will do fine.

Melisandre's actress looks fine. Her hair can be dyed and the right outfit will give her the look of the Red Priestess, but her eyes are a real shame. Melisandre's eyes can't be replicated with dye, and contact lenses are out. With Daenerys and Viserys' purple eyes that was a shame but not crippling, but Melisandre's red eyes are a part of her frightening appearance. Other then that I think she'll do fine.

Davos is different, older looking than I pictured. I pictured Davos with brown hair, a light brown beard, more ordinary looking. I'm unfamiliar with this actor, as I was with most Game of Thrones actors except for Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey, but I look forward to seeing how he does.

Oh and another new role has been confirmed. Nonso Anozie, who plays Artus in the coming Conan the Barbarian film, will play the Qarthian merchant Xaro Xhoan Daxos. He'll be an interesting one to see, though I pictured Xaro as having an asian appearance, but I may have read it wrong.

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2009/04...ie_450x300.jpg

Now if we can just get whose going to play Roose Bolton and Vargo Hoat, I really want to see their actors.

Lord of the Night

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 08-03-11 at 02:58 PM.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-03-11, 03:04 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

Quote:
I agree with most thing you wrote(except Lena Headey as Sercei, her character is better portrayed in books, and I don't mean visually). Visually, series is mostly a miss. King's landing looks too exotic, which might suit Dorne, but certainly not King's landing. Eerie also looks terrible, and many, many other things. Most costumes I don't like. And some things don't seem to be lack of budget, just wrong vision or need to exaggerate contrast between different people and regions.

About actors, yes, many don't look same as in books, but hey, let's face it, you can't find actors that look exactly the same, know their job and are willing to play role. Bigger problem is different characterization of some characters than in the book. Though some actors do look terrible, Joffrey and Sansa are too fucking ugly.
I agree about the sets. I've always thought of King's Landing as having a climate and culture similar to southern France. Warm summers, but still a temperate climate, with Dorne being similar to Northern Africa. Also, even being a trading hub and a cosmopoliton pot of traders from Westeros and Essos, King's Landing looks far too similar to what I imagine Mereene to look like - Red brick pyramids and golden Harpies aside.

I thought Winterfell looked bad and the Eyrie looks far too similar to Cirith Ungol in Peter Jackson's The Return of the King. I half expected Uruk-Hai and Orcs in place of a sickly brat and Lysa Arryn (who looks more appetising in my mind than in the show).

And yeah, after posting the links of various artwork I like, I did realise they aren't going to get actors or actresses which can match my, or other people's expectations

Still. George R. R. Martin himself has said A Song of Ice and Fire is almost a Medieval historical fiction (only a made-up realm, monsters and magic makes it fantasy) but the show seems to avoid this. Instead of a near-perfect Medieval setting and costumes in Westeros, they have a horrible blend of Medieval, Greek and Middle-Eastern fashions.

Edit: Reading Lord of the Night's post, I agree with most points. Tywin, in the series, smiles too much. I wouldn't be surprised if he's laughed also. Tywin doesn't trust laughing, and I can only ever remember him smiling during Joffrey's wedding, and when

I think Kit Harrington and Joffrey's actor are great actors. I just think Jon shouldn't have curls, and Joffrey should, not to mention how similar Jon looks to Robb.

Last edited by bobss; 08-03-11 at 03:10 PM.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-03-11, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss View Post
I agree about the sets. I've always thought of King's Landing as having a climate and culture similar to southern France. Warm summers, but still a temperate climate, with Dorne being similar to Northern Africa. Also, even being a trading hub and a cosmopoliton pot of traders from Westeros and Essos, King's Landing looks far too similar to what I imagine Mereene to look like - Red brick pyramids and golden Harpies aside.

I thought Winterfell looked bad and the Eyrie looks far too similar to Cirith Ungol in Peter Jackson's The Return of the King. I half expected Uruk-Hai and Orcs in place of a sickly brat and Lysa Arryn (who looks more appetising in my mind than in the show).
For sets I think that some look good and some look bad. King's Landing and Winterfell need work, I pictured Winterfell a lot bigger and northern grander, while King's Landing is far too clean. It needs to be the unwashed whore of a city that Aegon the Conquerer did not envision when he started it.

I disagree with Dorne and Africa, I picture Dorne being more like the Middle East in its deeper levels and more mountainous in its borders. After all not all Dornishmen have brownish skin like the Martells, Arthur Dayne and his House are Dornish and they had pale white skin.

I thought the Eyrie looked good though, but the Moon Door has changed. In the series its an actual door, in the wall. But I prefer the door opening that they've made it into, makes for much better drama and a far more awesome ending to Bronn's fight with Vardis Egan.

"You don't fight with honour!" "No, he did."

Meereen, Slaver's Bay and Qarth I picture to be like Egypt, pyramids and sand and desert.

Lord of the Night

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-03-11, 07:59 PM

About this new actor... I'm sure he is good actor(as most in series are), I haven't seen him so far. But I really don't like their decision to make Qarth's people black, it seems to me their trying to be politically correct, which I really hate. Don't take me wrong, I don't have anything against black people, it's just they are described totally different in the book(very pale).
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-03-11, 09:12 PM

Hachiko's Flag is: USA

Quote:
About this new actor... I'm sure he is good actor(as most in series are), I haven't seen him so far. But I really don't like their decision to make Qarth's people black, it seems to me their trying to be politically correct, which I really hate. Don't take me wrong, I don't have anything against black people, it's just they are described totally different in the book(very pale).
Exactly. And it's not like there aren't black people in the book series either.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode