Looking for recommendations on what to watch next - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 10:58 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

DS9 is interesting, but an obvious spin off of Star Trek... with all the same old ideas and plot lines from the other series just in a new setting. Don't get me wrong, I love DS9 (only one I like more is Enterprise) but it does get a bit annoying at times.

Babylon 5 is a much richer environment: the characters have more depth (massively so), the plots are really interesting and varied (though the first series does start quite slowly) and the plots start off much more political: its largely about relations between aliens/aliens/humans... imagine DS9 but with 1/4 of the population Cardassian, 1/4 Klingon, 1/4 human and the rest of upteen different races. Also, what makes me enjoy it more then DS9 is that it isn't so "goody-goody". Not all the episodes have to be about doing the right thing... characters do what they can for their race/perspective, often making choices that the nice people at Star Fleet would find reprehensible.

While I love Firefly and Nathan Fillion, I can see why some would find him aggravating... if you don't like him in Firefly you won't like him in Castle. Its by no means the same character... but Castle relies even more upon the actor's charms.
Then again, even if I hated Mal utterly I would still watch Firefly for Wash (Alan Tudyk)... he is so awesome it almost hurts to watch. Actually scratch that, at times it does hurt as my laughter gets excessive

Alan Tudyk was also in Dollhouse, which I've just been watching again. I would put it solidly in the 'Total Rubbish' pile, but its entertaining enough and has nice Eye Candy with Eliza Dushku, Amy Acker and Dichen Lachman.... and Summer Glau, though I'm not really a fan of her's (she's great in Firefly but pretty meh in everything else).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Maidel's Flag is: England

OK. Im sold on Bablyon 5.

110 episodes isnt bad - thats about 5-6 weeks viewing for me.

I have 3 series of andromeda still to go, so thats about a total of 8-10 weeks.

So - someone convince me of whats after B5?

To prevent any 'misunderstandings' if I post IN ORANGE then I am joking.
Thank you
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 04:45 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

I would definetly reccommend Supernatural, brilliant show, good action, plot, setting, likeable characters, just enough funny moments and lines to not turn it into a bit of a gimmick and still retain the dark setting.

Also Smallville, gets quite alot of mixed opinions but i love it, though i will concede that the first season definetly and the second to an extent are a little slow and hard to get into, but as the seasons continue it keeps getting stronger and stronger.

And lastly, no ones said Battlestar Galactica yet? The re-imagined(modern) version. Probably one of my all time favourite shows. Only four seasons so isn't going to last you a long time, but i think it would be a crime to miss it.
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 04:51 PM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

I mentioned it earlier. Really good show, though I think they lost their way a little during third season.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 05:00 PM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Tempered View Post
I mentioned it earlier. Really good show, though I think they lost their way a little during third season.
Shhh. There is no third & fourth season of BSG, just like there's no Star Wars prequel and 4th Indiana Jones movie.

Stop being silly.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

I cant stand superman - hes such a ridiculous character - dont get me started...

So, ill cross smallville off my list.

Looking good for B5 and BSG.

Thank you
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 10:58 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Dont get me wrong i hate Superman, but Smallville is excellent somehow, he just doenst seem like Superman at all despite the obvious.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 11:31 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

I've watched all the series of Smallville... its disgustingly goody-goody and very irritating, but also entertaining in places and a really nice selection of eye-candy.. which if I'm honest was the only reason I watched it: Kristin Kreuk, Alison Mack, Laura Vandervort and Erica Durance... nice selection But its still only enough for me to watch it when really bored...

BSG is pretty good, and I watched it in the last couple weeks. It isn't the worlds best show but well worth watching. While others don't like series 3-4 I have to say that I wasn't that inspired by season 2, while I quite liked series 3. Series 4 is pretty pants but if you are anything like me you'll me hooked by that point regardless. Love some of the twists they throw in... even if I really hate the final ending: they tried to be a bit smug, but it ended up just being annoying.

post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-25-11, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Hehe, I'm actually less worried about the 'quality' or 'plot' of the shows I watch, and more concerned that they are fun and have likeable characters. Hercules is one of my all time favourite series, and objectively the show gets worse and worse as time goes on, the plots become ridiculous and the quality of the cgi was poor even in it's time. But none of this detracts from the fact that the main two characters are extremely likeable and even the rubbish plots don't stop each episode from being entertaining in other ways.

Thank you
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-26-11, 10:57 AM
Seņor Member
Carna's Flag is: Australia

I liked Stargate Atlantis and Universe; Atlantis had less of the morality stuff like in SG1, all likable characters. Dexter is interesting, Law and Order, later seasons of the Simpsons, Family Guy, and Rome.

"Wulfe gestured around at the strange metal buildings. He didn't like the angles, the proportions, the lines. They didn't look like any Imperial buildings he had ever seen, and that made them wrong."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode