Looking for recommendations on what to watch next - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-23-11, 11:58 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

My favorite US cop shows:
The Wire (very very american, but I enjoyed it more then I thought I would)
CSI (or CSI:NY, avoid Miami like the plague unless you have a twisted sense of humour, like me... I just laugh at it, definitely not with it)

I like a lot of the US cop shows... but I'm afraid they really get outclassed by some of the British ones:
MacCallum (very old pathology series starring John Hannah... love it)
Rebus (gritty, but fantastic)
Wire in the Blood (not as good as the books, but still worth watching)
Messiah (OMFG this is awesome... but there are only 3-4 TV-movies of it).

I go through phases with Sci-Fi of liking it or just finding it dull... most of what I do watch you've got on your list, but a few I would suggest.
Babylon 5 (if you like DS9 you should like this)
Seven Days (old one, but entertaining if you can find it)
Outcasts (recent BBC series, short but very, very good).

Out of all those I would say Messiah, Rebus, The Wire and Babylon 5 are probably the most likely to grab you... but its all good stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 01:40 AM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

How can some1 not like Firefly?

On topic, yes I would recommend you to check Game of thrones,it's good series, not maybe as good as books, but really good non the less (and my complaints are probably not objective but fanboyish).
I would also recommend you to watch Battlestar Galactica(new one, haven't watched one from eighties). First two seasons are great, next two not so, but ending is satisfactory, and generally acting and other thing are really good, it's just screenwriters did mess some things up. Still, very good sci fi show.

You must watch Rome, one of best shows out there. I know you haven't listed historical dramas, but it's really really good. Best HBO show I have watched(Haven't watched the Wire, many people claim it's best show there is )
You can also watch Spartacus, is't not really quality show, can't even compare to Rome,but it's tits and gore, and it is fun. One actor(playing owner of gladiator school) is really good, and plot is interesting if you like intrigue, violence and sex.

Jericho is also ok show, about small town in America after nuclear crisis, shame it was cancelled after 2 seasons.

If you do like historic series, also check Pillars of the earth, mini series of 8 episodes.

Last edited by Fire Tempered; 06-24-11 at 01:48 AM.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 01:45 AM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

Breaking Bad.

Best show ever.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 01:56 AM

Crimson Shadow's Flag is: USA

I would recommend these:

Psych (buddy cop show about a fake psychic. it came out before the mentalist, they rif on that in the later seasons, probably one of my fav shows of all time)

Burn Notice (I liken this to a more modernized MacGyver)

Castle (I like Nathan Fillion, if you didn't like Firefly because of him, you might not like this)

Game of Thrones- Good fantasy series.
White Collar
Chuck (The first 2 or so seasons are better than the most recent 2 but it's highly entertaining.

Almost forgot Eureka. Good SciFi series.

Last edited by Crimson Shadow; 06-24-11 at 02:01 AM.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 03:37 AM
Back in "Sexay"!!!~
arumichic's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosRedCorsairLord View Post
Breaking Bad.

Best show ever.
*GASP!!!* how could I have forgotten about that one! I definitely agree that Breaking Bad is amazing and crazy badass.

@Crimson Shadow:
I'm also sad I forgot about Psych and Castle. Very funny and gripping at the same time, for both, but Castle being a bit more gripping.

Looking for work....

Current project(s) with plog(s): None ATM
Upcoming project(s): Plague Hulk

Recently finished project(s): Warboss 2, Lord Hector Rex
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 04:01 AM
Curiouser and Curiouser

I don't believe anyone has mentioned Dollhouse yet but it is an excellent show. I noticed you have seen Buffy, Angel and Firefly so you're already familiar with Whedon's work. Dollhouse is simply another excellent series he has produced. I highly recommend it and if you have access to it, I remember it being on the Netflix online service.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 05:18 AM

If you're accepting starter shows for anime, I'll second Cowboy Bebop. Also, fuck you for not liking Firefly.

Writer of crappy fics, I hope you might derive some enjoyment from them.

FictionPress.com: For original stuff.

FanFiction.net: For stuff that is part of an established universe.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 05:44 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Big Bang Theory
Castle
Burn Notice
Eureka
Warehouse 13
Dexter
Spartacus Blood and Sand
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 08:28 AM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

The ones I were going to recommend were already posted. Warehouse 13 and Eureka. Both having been renewed for a next season.

New sci-fi series coming out that grabbed my attention is Alphas (or something like that) It could be good though we will have to wait until sometime in early July to find out.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Maidel's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
Supernatural.
Falling Skies..
Need to check supernatural
New shows arent any good - I need ones I can watch now on DVD. Sorry, should have made it clearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
Also, a really random sci-fi show would be "The Event".
Will check

Quote:
Originally Posted by arumichic View Post
-NCIS (the original one; I personally like it better than the LA one, but both are good)
-Dresden Files (books are better, but read them after you watch the series)
-Sanctuary
-Ghost Whisperer (kind of watches like Buffy, but without the action, so not as fun)
-CSI
-CSI: New York
-White Collar
-Burn Notice
-In Plain Sight
-Monk
-The Walking Dead (if you like zombies and the comic book series)

NCIS need to check, I only like los angeles for the cast, if it wasnt for them I wouldnt like it because Im not 'sold' on the format.
There are lots of CSI - I think I need to check them out
Burn notice - thats got Bruce campbell in it - thats shot up my list.

Sci-fi-ish and or Fantasy-ish Animes
-Tokyo Majin (I just started it myself and it's proving interesting)
-Gurren Lagan (AMAZING AMAZING anime)
-Cowboy Bebop
-Scrapped Princess
-FLCL (aka. Fooly Cooly...more of a mind fuck and trip than anything with great animation)
-Warehouse 13 (watched the first 2 episode and thought it was pretty funny and good)
Ive seen bits of most of them, but I do have to watch the rest of cowboy.

Will look into warehouse13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
Hmm. Other good choices... I see you don't have LoTR up there. Epic series. Loved every movie. If you've watched it, good. If not, I think you should watch it.
Two other things I can recommend are A Haunting, and The Simpsons if you haven't seen it.
hehe - definately seen lotrs and the simpsons, has anyone on the earth not seen the simpsons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoMalleus View Post
Definitely Burn Notice,

For humour,
South Park
American Dad
Family Guy

If your into anime, "death note" is very addictive

Edit: The main one i wanted to suggest! Spartacus: Blood and Sand" is FI_Icking awesome!
Sigh, yet more series ive seen but forgotten to include - this is depressing me - I actually wonder if there isnt a decent show I havent seen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
IN TREATMENT (you won't be disappointed)

other than that:

The Sopranos
Rome
The Shield (excellent and 7 series long, all are great)
The Wire (simply astonishing)
Boardwalk Empire
Oz
Frasier

Hope that helps.
I dont like the sopranos. I tend to not like really popular shows! Will revist Rome I think, seen bits of it and I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
My favorite US cop shows:
The Wire (very very american, but I enjoyed it more then I thought I would)
CSI (or CSI:NY, avoid Miami like the plague unless you have a twisted sense of humour, like me... I just laugh at it, definitely not with it)

I like a lot of the US cop shows... but I'm afraid they really get outclassed by some of the British ones:
MacCallum (very old pathology series starring John Hannah... love it)
Rebus (gritty, but fantastic)
Wire in the Blood (not as good as the books, but still worth watching)
Messiah (OMFG this is awesome... but there are only 3-4 TV-movies of it).

I go through phases with Sci-Fi of liking it or just finding it dull... most of what I do watch you've got on your list, but a few I would suggest.
Babylon 5 (if you like DS9 you should like this)
Seven Days (old one, but entertaining if you can find it)
Outcasts (recent BBC series, short but very, very good).

Out of all those I would say Messiah, Rebus, The Wire and Babylon 5 are probably the most likely to grab you... but its all good stuff.
Babylon 5 always just seemed to be a DS9 rip off - can someone change my mind on that please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Tempered View Post
How can some1 not like Firefly?

On topic, yes I would recommend you to check Game of thrones,it's good series, not maybe as good as books, but really good non the less (and my complaints are probably not objective but fanboyish).
I would also recommend you to watch Battlestar Galactica(new one, haven't watched one from eighties). First two seasons are great, next two not so, but ending is satisfactory, and generally acting and other thing are really good, it's just screenwriters did mess some things up. Still, very good sci fi show.

You must watch Rome, one of best shows out there. I know you haven't listed historical dramas, but it's really really good. Best HBO show I have watched(Haven't watched the Wire, many people claim it's best show there is )
You can also watch Spartacus, is't not really quality show, can't even compare to Rome,but it's tits and gore, and it is fun. One actor(playing owner of gladiator school) is really good, and plot is interesting if you like intrigue, violence and sex.

Jericho is also ok show, about small town in America after nuclear crisis, shame it was cancelled after 2 seasons.

If you do like historic series, also check Pillars of the earth, mini series of 8 episodes.
I might have to look into battlestar Id forgotten about that one.

And, the reason I dont like firefly is that I think the lead is a just an unlikable smug bastard and I find it really hard to watch shows with cast that I dont like.

To prevent any 'misunderstandings' if I post IN ORANGE then I am joking.
Thank you

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode