Green Lantern - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Green Lantern

The comic book movie year sidles along, and for me it's another positive experience.

I'm not a huge fan of the GL corp, and it's not something i could read on a regular basis, but as a one shot I quite enjoy their crazy universe spanning police force. I am however, a huge fan of Ryan Reynolds, which has probably tainted my review....but hey, what's not to like about Ryan Reynolds?

So, onto the film. Like a lot of action adventure films, GL is packed with cliche, cheese, transparent relationships and huge CGI budgets. In a lot of cases, that would really put me off...but here it was just really good fun. The symbolism is so blatant that you'll clock what's going to happen pretty early on, but I was excited about it happening, rather than groaning when the prophecy was fulfilled.

This is mostly achieved through good pacing (for an origin story this was quite impressive), the special effects and the actors.

The effects are bright, compelling and clear, which was a refreshing change to the usual dark and choppy camera work that has been used to good, and more often, really bad effect in action films over the past few years. In this film it's good vs bad, pretty vs ugly, green vs yellow. It's pandering to the highest degree, but it makes for a great spectacle.

The integration between real and fantasy isn't done quite as well as it was in Thor, but the alien side of things is carried out impressively, with solid conviction.

The characters, like the effects are very 2-dimensional, and whilst the script helps to flesh them out a little, it does just as much to corner them back into their boxes. It's the actors that really bring them outside a little more, with Reynolds, Peter Saarsgard and Mark Strong adding a charisma and depth.

Blake Lively is also very good in this, but her 'ex who's still in love with the hero' role has been done before so many times, it's difficult to overcome the paint by numbers role she has here with so little screen time.

Overall it was a fun experience, far from perfect but enjoyable. Obviously they've laid the groundwork for a sequel - the trappings are so clearly placed you could write the synopsis now- and whilst i'll admit quite happily that I want to see it, i'm worried that the tone they've set here will be difficult to make a compelling second film from. Guess we'll have to wait and see. JLA in 2014 anyone?

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 03:54 PM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

I've been looking forward to seeing this film as I generally tend to like superhero movies, Probably check it out sometime in the future, if not at the cinema then on DVD.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-21-11, 04:55 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

I saw the film tonight and as a Green Lantern Fan (I collect weekly) I can say I was impressed by the film. The film was surprisingly close for a comic book adaption, pulling the parts of the origin story from DC Comics Secret Origin books and recent lore added to the series.

Reynolds is a decent choice for Hal Jordan, though it was a plus that he didn't portray his normal character. I had my doubts he could pull off Jordan, as many of his recent (big) movies have had him playing the same witty character (which Hal Jordan is not). I was really nervous he would try and pull a Hannibal King (Blade 3) or Wade Wilson (X-Men Origins: Wolverine). I am glad he did not.

I must agree with Varakir on his views for the secondary characters, which is a disappointment. The cast they had for the other character such as Mark Strong (Sinestro), Peter Sarsgaard (Hector Hammond), Michael Clarke Duncan (Kilowog), and Geoffrey Rush (Tomar-Re) was very strong and should really have been expanded upon. Adding an extra 10 minutes into training on Oa would have been fantastic in this regard.

I felt Blake Lively's character was a great portrayal for Carol Ferris, as in the comics she always was the "ex who's still in love with the hero." Their relationship in the comics is very complex and we see signs of that complexity in the film.

The effects were very solid in the film. Oa in particular was very well done. Personally I feel more effects should have been done during non combat parts, like maybe showing Carol something really big, and that they were under utilized in the film.

The film doesn't even hide the fact that it sets up for a sequel and I feel the ground work is laid for a very solid one. The story they are setting up for is one loved in DC comics, and has had a long lasting impact on DC lore.

All in all the film was a good time. I was rather surprised by everything, though as a Green Lantern fan the choice of bad guys made me somewhat angry, I still enjoyed the film. Any comic book fan should see this.

I'd give the film a solid C+, though some Green Lantern fans may stretch it into a B. Except those uber fans (nerds) who know every story line ever printed, they will most likely hate the film

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode