Today I have mostly been watching.... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 185 (permalink) Old 06-10-11, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Today I have mostly been watching....

If anyone remembers Tom's short movie reviews thread, i want this thread to work like that.

Post up a 1 or 2 sentence review of ANY film you have watched. Old or new, at home or at the cinema. I'm sure big films will continue to demand their own threads, but here you can just praise or vent on anything you've seen recently.

Today i've watched:

Honey 2: Pretty much a trainwreck. Poor acting and script are standard fare for a dance movie, but this one isn't even backed up with good dancing or likeable characters.

The Damned United:
Flawed in places, but overall it's a tight film with some very good performances.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 185 (permalink) Old 06-12-11, 11:40 AM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

X-Men: Okay, I've recently watched the first X-Men. Pretty awesome, if I do say so myself - and I have the second so I'll defiantly be watching that soon as well. My only gripe was the fact that nobody properly died, and also, due to watching great movie mistakes recently:

post #3 of 185 (permalink) Old 06-12-11, 11:54 AM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

I ve just watched Paul. Pretty fun movie about geeks and one pretty cool alien. If you like Simon Peg you will like this. Enjoyable watch.
post #4 of 185 (permalink) Old 06-12-11, 03:31 PM
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

Pulp Fiction A fantastically written film by Quentin Tarantino, with a brilliant script, interesting characters and some great dark humour in places. Really is a must watch for everyone. *****

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. The Best film in the series. The characters are well developed, the plot is engaging and it doesn't rely too much on special effects like the later films, with its quality coming from the plot and script. Another good film ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory
post #5 of 185 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Bad Teacher: Fairly mediocre comedy. Struggles to push boundaries within the confines of a cliched rom-com format, giving us unlikeable characters and little to connect with. A few decent gags, but nothing to get excited about.

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #6 of 185 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 01:35 AM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

22 Bullets - French movie (subtitles) with Jean Reno as lead. One of my favourite Actors who plays a retired (trying to anyway) French Mafia Godfather who survives a hit and takes deadly and bloody revenge...brutally but tastefully done, and pulls no punches.
4 stars.
post #7 of 185 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 10:07 AM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

X-Men 3: Last Stand: Enjoyable, although not as good as X2, The Last Stand still is a pretty good conclusion to the trilogy. It's a shame that:

X-Men Origins: Wolverine, next.
post #8 of 185 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane_of_Kings View Post

X-Men Origins: Wolverine, next.
Good luck with that

Bridesmaids: After all the hype about the 'female hangover', it was odd to see this film is quite dissimilar. Showing much more resemblance to the better Apatow comedies, it's a quirky, well made film, and very funny to boot.

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #9 of 185 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 12:33 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Doomsday- quite a fun Rhona Mitra action film, but with a fairly predictable plot and nothing that hasn't been done before in better films. Worth watching if you have some time, but I kinda found myself wishing I was watching V for Vendetta or one of the Underworld films instead... ***

Tekken- one of the best game-to-films that I've seen. Some excellent scenes and some good casting... though they did go a little too far in trying to make the actors look like their characters (with Jin and Bryan fury it was awesome.. but a lot were pretty iffy). ****

Robin Hood- wooden WW2 landing craft in 12th century England... that's pretty much the only thing you need to know about this film. This is an american take on a popular British tale, and as such they change aspects that probably shouldn't be changed... some may find this a refreshing take on an old tale, but personally I find it pretty rubbish. **

Its still not a bad film, but it wouldn't even make it to my top 3 Robin Hood films:
1- Robin Hood - with Uma Thurman as Maid Marion (always forgotten, but great film)
2- Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Legendary film, but everyone has probably seen it once more then they should have.
3- Robin Hood: Men in Tights.... its totally shit, but great... good spoof.
4- Disney's Robin Hood... anyone who saw this when they were young will love it...
5- Robin Hood- Russell Crowe's version

post #10 of 185 (permalink) Old 06-27-11, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Transformers 3: Horrible, overly long, charmless mess, packaged with pretty explosions in admittedly good 3D. Bay is back on true Michael Bay form.

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode