Today I have mostly been watching.... - Page 6 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 185 (permalink) Old 11-09-11, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

We need to talk about Kevin: Starts off a little awkwardly as the story jumps back and forth between various points in the timeline, but once it settles down it's a great film. The acting from Tilda swinton and Ezra miller is superb, and in this harrowing tale of a very obscure relationship I found myself strongly connected to the characters, which is really quite impressive.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 185 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

The Rum Diary: Being one of the Hunter S.Thompson novels I haven't read, the film has at least spurred me on to make sure I read it soon, as i'm sure it can't be this bad. Not to say the film is a disaster, it's got some very good moments, but overall it's very wobbly both in terms of plot and character. The story intertwines between farce and political issues, and the characters are equally bi-polar, flipping from serious to outlandish stupidity quite regularly. This could have worked very well, but there's no cohesion between the two sides, and I found myself getting quite bored and generally dis-interested in the proceedings and the protagonist. Unfortunately not really worth a look in my opinion.

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #53 of 185 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Immortals: There's a few better films out at the cinema currently, but a trip to see immortals certainly won't be time wasted. The plot is solid and simple, the dialogue manages to stay on the right side of cheesy, and the action scenes and set design are great to look at. The very accomplished cast (Henry cavil, John Hurt, Mickey Rourke, Freida Pinto) work wonders putting life into characters with a fraction of characterisation from the script.

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #54 of 185 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 02:22 AM

DecrepitDragon's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
Immortals: There's a few better films out at the cinema currently, but a trip to see immortals certainly won't be time wasted. The plot is solid and simple, the dialogue manages to stay on the right side of cheesy, and the action scenes and set design are great to look at. The very accomplished cast (Henry cavil, John Hurt, Mickey Rourke, Freida Pinto) work wonders putting life into characters with a fraction of characterisation from the script.
A quick question if I may mate? How does it stack against the likes of 300 and the new Clash of the Titans?

300 I enjoyed. Clash left me wanting more - more story, interesting dialogue, and people that could act, that is. If its better than Clash I'll be happy.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Visit my Tower Terrain Plog here.
post #55 of 185 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecrepitDragon View Post
A quick question if I may mate? How does it stack against the likes of 300 and the new Clash of the Titans?

300 I enjoyed. Clash left me wanting more - more story, interesting dialogue, and people that could act, that is. If its better than Clash I'll be happy.
It stands quite well against 300, visually and acting wise. The script is fairly solid, but it can't quite compete with the 'fuck yeah!' moments that 300 has. Clash was a mess, but this is good fun and very watchable.

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #56 of 185 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
It stands quite well against 300, visually and acting wise. The script is fairly solid, but it can't quite compete with the 'fuck yeah!' moments that 300 has. Clash was a mess, but this is good fun and very watchable.
Thanks mate. Think I needed to hear that from someone who wasn't all "fanboy" level excited about it.

And I totally agree about Clash. Shame it failed on most of the points that make a good film for me. Nice action scenes - and sod all else really.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

post #57 of 185 (permalink) Old 11-22-11, 07:25 PM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Panther (1995): Watched this at College the other day, and it was pretty awesome, and the fact that it was a true story made even more awesome. I believe it's on Youtube in parts if you want to watch it and you live in the UK, it's good if you wish to learn about Civil Rights and the Black Panther Party for Self Defence, or if you just want to watch a good movie. (4/5 stars).
post #58 of 185 (permalink) Old 11-23-11, 01:14 AM

Friday. - Starring Ice Cube, Chris Tucker and Nia Long.

Cheap and cheerful 80s comedy with a heavy emphasis on black humour.

This film could be seen as a stereotypical rendition of mid-eighties african-american culture/humour, for all the wrong reasons.

However, I entered into the film with an open mind and low expectations - and found myself laughing my arse off within minutes ( "The word for today is 'Job'. J-O-B, Job." ).

With a gritty moment of realism towards the end, the whole film is almost tongue in cheek about its origins, and never seems to take itself seriously.

Watch it with the same set of standards, and you shouldn't be dissapointed.

post #59 of 185 (permalink) Old 12-11-11, 08:21 AM

Sanctum: A Rather interesting film. However, some research about the 'true story' side of things didn't really change anything, and the characters were not really that interesting, tbh. However, a good movie nonetheless, and has put me off diving for some time, . (Verdict: 3.5/5 stars)

Sherlock Holmes: Good film, and I liked the portrayal of Holmes by Robert Downey Jr. and am eagerly awaiting the sequel, which I intend to see in the cinema. (Verdict: 4/5)
post #60 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-21-12, 12:28 PM

Sherlock Holmes 2 - Game of Shadows - Better film than the first one, and awesome stuff. Still don't like the fact that they show the fight scenes twice. (Verdict: 4/5)

Mission Impossible 4 - Ghost Protocol - Enjoyable, Over-the top action fun, complete with Simon Pegg who is as awesome as ever. (Verdict: 3.5/5)

X-Men: First Class - Really awesome film, much better than X-Men III: The Last Stand. I think I may have enjoyed it as much as the first two movies. (Verdict: 4/5)

Last edited by Bane_of_Kings; 01-26-12 at 07:42 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode