X-Men: First Class - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-11, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default X-Men: First Class

Hurrah, another good X-men film!

After the mostly poor outing in X-Men 3, and the trainwreck that was wolverine origins, first class is a wonderful return to form.

Going in I was anxious to see how this peculiar prequel would pan out, as it's mission was essentially to re-tell a breadth of established comic plots, whilst keeping the movie continuity in check. I thought this might come as a road block, but they've actually pulled it off rather well - taking the good bits from established storyline, and smashing apart bits that just won't fit.

The finished result is a solid origin story, and an interesting character drama. There's plenty of action in there too of course, but ultimately it's the characters that drive this movie, and they have some top performances in the lead roles to see this through. Mcavoy and Fassbender are both fiercely likeable as Charles and Erik, as is their relationship, which is quintessential to the plot, theme and moral message which runs through the film. The other characters also get a share of character building side plots, but ultimately it's their relationship with the leads which proves most compelling.

It's not all honey and roses though - as good as the character development is, I often found myself getting too drawn into the reality of it all, which comes as a problem when the need to suspend disbelief comes around. On several occasions the action, dialogue and superhero posturing veers a bit too close to cheesy farce, which would snap me out of an otherwise immersed state.

There is also a lot of characters in this film, and a great deal of material which relies on knowledge of the universe to date. Thankfully they don't spend too much time with superfluous characters (though I doubt the film would suffer without 1 or 2 of them), however if you haven't seen the other films I would imagine you'll get a bit disorientated at times.

To draw a cliche and compare it to Batman Begins, i'd say they're not far off a dramatic, human, superhero movie with it's roots in reality, and at times it's virtually there. Ironically enough, it's hampered by some of the superpowers, comic-ness and the number of players involved. Without these it would arguably be a better film, but it wouldn't be an X-men film.

Despite it's flaws, i'd definitely recommend this. I'm also surprised to say that for the first time in a long while, i'm really hoping they make a sequel

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-11, 11:06 AM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

How the heck you see it already? Its not even meant to be showing in previews until tomorrow...
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-11, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
How the heck you see it already? Its not even meant to be showing in previews until tomorrow...
I have a mutation which allows me to watch films slightly before they come out. (I also work at the cinema)

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-11, 04:30 PM

Well just got home after seeing it.... several hours later then I intended as the projectors at my local cinema decided to go fubar for the early show,(They've just upgraded to all digital screen and projectors) so I had to catch a later one.... but thats a later rant.

Anyway... The Movie. X-men is defiantely back on form with this one. I'd even go as far as to say thats its more enjoyable then the origional movie. Its definately worth going to see if your an X-Men fan... and even if your not. Theres some great characters, some brilliant funny moments, awesome action sequences... Its an all round good movie, but not one thats perfect.

Theres alot of 'Ahah!' and 'So thats why that it' and 'Thats how they're playing it' moments in the movie... which in some cases are retcons of what we've seen previously. Some are for the better in my opinion, but some are 'why are we changing this again?'

Now the characters... I'm annoyed with the directors and the writers choices on some of them. We do have some great characters, but some that would have been awesome to see continue are used way too much in a throw away fashion. Its stupid to establish them so well and then pretty much have them as a conveiniant plot element and no more.

It almost felt like they've tried to cram too much into the movie. The pacing jumps between being perfectly paces, to too slow in spots, to almost too fast at the end as if a 'Oh crap, we've forgot to resolve the situation we started!' moment occured while they were building up everything else in it.

All that said, Its still a brilliant movie that you won't regret going to see.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-11, 10:17 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

it was done by the people behind kick ass , mostly britsh again i think

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-11, 05:01 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Thought it was very good, as others have said its a welcome return to form after the previous two movies. I agree that some of the characters just wern't really needed apart from one scene or plot point.

Also had one of the best and funniest cameos ive seen before.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-11, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
Also had one of the best and funniest cameos ive seen before.
Its almost worth going to see JUST for that cameo . It had the entire cinema in a riot of laughing when I went.

But on the subject of characters... covered because some of its spoilerish...

Last edited by GrizBe; 06-03-11 at 07:12 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-11, 07:35 PM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

I want to see this, but I've only literally just seen the first X-Men. (Yes, I know I'm rather behind ), so I'll probably have to wait until DVD release. Sounds great, though.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-11, 08:27 PM

xNoPityx's Flag is: USA

I had absolutely no desire to see this movie after the last two but I might now since it seems to be getting positive feedback.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-11, 08:51 PM
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn!

komanko's Flag is: Israel

Great movie, I enjoyed it really well except for 2 things:
The Russian accents were terrible and nearly made me ears bleed and explode in a gory manner, seriously, if you know Russian you will understand how terrible it was.
The second thing was just the fact that shooting a rocket at a ship filled with nuclear weaponry just doesnt make any sense, couldn't you by mistake hit the missiles and cause a nuclear explosion ? :O Or maybe its my lack of knowledge on nuclear weaponry that makes it strange to me, I dunno.

In any case, great movie, enjoyed it throughly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode