Attack the Block! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-11, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Attack the Block!

Not sure if this is getting any sort of media attention outside the uk, so here's the trailer:

Joe Cornish has made a quality little cult film here, and the comparisons to critters/gremlins are pretty apt.

It's funny, has a great cast of mostly unknowns, and the script and pacing are very tight. It lacks a bit in the tension department, but for such a simple design, the aliens are very striking and have great presence on the screen.

The slang is a bit disorientating at first, and the character development dips into contrived territory on occasion, but mostly the characters feel very real and you'll soon warm to them and overcome the language barrier.

Definitely one to watch

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-11, 01:15 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Your kidding right? This is one of THE WORSET movies I've ever had the misfortune to see... It was soo bad, litterally half the cinema was demanding its money back at the end.

Warning, slight spoilers ahead.

Firstly, the plot is laughable. Basically its about a bunch of inner city youths /hoodies / ghetto rats who mug a nurse who decides to join up with them after they've killed a scared baby alien, which brings the big ones down after them.

Thats not a spoiler, just about any trailer / preview tells you that.

And before someone says thats not what happens.. it is... A tiny alien crashlands on a planet and is confronted by a bunch of thugs with weapons... it tries to defend itself, they kill it, then parade its body like some sort of triumph... Then the entire rest of the plot is them defending themselves from the addults who attack their city block housing estate.. hence the films title.

Now the aliens look like they're painted on, and the design is soo laughably unscarey, you might have as well had Kermit the frog chasing them. Secondly, these kids can't act. Its like someone just grabbed a random bunch of kids off the street and told them to go and play.

For the big flaws, there is no way in hell that someone they've mugged at knifepoint would join up with them against the aliens in the way they suggest, or develope any sort of romantic attachment to the gang leader, which she does.

Basically what the director tries to do is paint these kids as a bunch of bored, scared misguided youths.. and fails miserably. They're a bunch of violent idiotic thugs, nothing more. They are not anti-heroes or anything else.

Seriously... avoid this movie. I cannot stress how bad it is and how many massive plotholes and flaws in logic that even someone who's been in the bathroom half the movie will be able to point out. Don't waste your money.

The so called comparrisons between this and Shaun of the Dead.... Shaun of the dead is an multi-Oscar winning film in comparrison to this. Its like comparing Shaun of the Deads Shakespere, to a Katy Price/Jordan 'biography'. Thats the gulf of how bad this is in comparrison.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-11, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
Your kidding right? This is one of THE WORSET movies I've ever had the misfortune to see... It was soo bad, litterally half the cinema was demanding its money back at the end.
Half the audience demanded their money back? Did that really happen?

Quote:
they've killed a scared baby alien, which brings the big ones down after them.

Thats not a spoiler, just about any trailer / preview tells you that.
It's not a baby. One of the main plot points hinges around that fact.

Quote:
develope any sort of romantic attachment to the gang leader, which she does.
That didn't happen either, at least not in the version I watched. I think it would be difficult to say what a person would be prepared to do under threat of being killed by aliens, but I thought they did a good job fleshing out the unlikely alliance.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-11, 01:57 PM

Okay, maybe half is an exageration... but it was at least 15 people queing at the end to speak to the cinema manager, and I counted at least another 15 that left before the end. But we were in one of the small screens at my local Odeon thats maybe 200 seats, and it wasn't even a third full when I saw it.

And maybe i'm wrong about it being a baby, but thats the way it came accross to me as.

And she did in the version I saw.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-11, 04:17 PM

Karak The Unfaithful's Flag is: Great Britain

Well for me their is no language barrier so that isn't a problem (don't worry, I don't use alot of slang) but I can't help thinking that other people won't be to understand a word their saying. I haven't seen the film but I did see a long trailer; the aliens seem to have be drawn by kids with little creativity and is the plot just about the kids killing aliens or is their more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klomster View Post
Ok, doing good gentlemen.
(Except Karak, you are not really a gentleman, but more brutal.... a brutalman )
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-11, 04:21 PM

Thats pretty much it. Kids piss off aliens, more aliens come, kids run from and get attacked by aliens while attempting to defend their estate...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-11, 04:37 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Even I was disappointed with a film, and I wasn't exactly expecting to go and see a movie masterpiece. In fact, considering who's involved (Nick Frost - very, very, unfunny, he's like the Michael McIntyre of movies), I should have lowered my expectations even more, to save disappointment.

But even then, I might have found myself surprised once again.

By it exceeding my expectations of shitness. And this is coming from someone who liked Madagascar 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-11, 04:53 PM

Nick Frosts problem isn't he's unfunny... he just isn't any good without Simon Pegg. But yeah... as the kids drug dealer he was extremely unfunny.

I'm surprsied its rated so high on Rotten Tomatoes.. but then reading the reviews... they're clearly idiots and people just trying to big up a bad movie so Cornish carear isn't ruined before its even started.

I mean when a possitive review says ' Its a little unpolished, and requires huge suspension of disbelief', you know that reviewer isn't being honest about it being a good movie.

Last edited by GrizBe; 05-18-11 at 04:55 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-11, 05:07 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Have to disagree on Nick Frost.

Hot Fuzz was classic Pegg/Frost. What happened? Pegg was funny as fuck, Frost the fat Sideshow Bob with the Six Finger accent doing the stupid routine to get cheap laughs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-11, 06:02 PM

Okay, his accent was a little OTT, but he still had some good moments.

Thing with them is, they reverse the accepted veiw of the old straight man routine. Peggs the straight man, but he's the one that gets all the laughs rather then the other way around.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode