Pirates of the Carribean 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Pirates of the Carribean 4

I wasn't entirely sure if I was looking forward to this, the last 2 films have progressively dipped compared to the first, but with the promise of a re-invention I was optomistic.

Unfortunately the film didn't rise to the occasion. There is a good film in there somewhere, and the script could be much more exciting fare with a stricter re-write, but as it stands it's just too bloated.

The film struggles with it's 140 minute runtime, filling time with elaborate character introductions, which would be fine if they focused on the character they are introducing. Instead we get a 10 minute action scene, proceeding a less than shocking reveal of the cast member. Similarly there is alot of build up to the 'quest' getting underway which is ultimately just an excuse to get the players together. If they had to squeeze this into a 100 minute runtime, I can't help feeling the pacing and story would be much tighter.

itsnot all bad though, it's difficult not to like Jack Sparrow's antics for the most part, and geoffery rush is brilliant as barbossa. His subplot is the most underplayed, but by far the most interesting. Ian Mcshane and penelope cruz are both adequate and show promise if their role and character was a little more defined. The story has some very good ideas, and when it gets going it's very compelling and far less contrived than the third film. Action scenes range from thrilling to boring farce, and it's rather lacking in the swashbuckling area. Didin't see the 3D, but a lot of the scenes were very dark so I can,t see them being much better with glasses.

It's tricky to say whether i'd recommened it, it's a very 6 out of 10 film which could easily be an 8 with better editing. If there's nothing else on i'd give it a watch, otherwise it'll be a nice sunday afternoon dvd film in 4 months time.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 12:01 PM

Chaplain Garrus's Flag is: United Kingdom

My experience -

Curse of the Black Pearl - Epic.
Dead Man's Chest - Good, suffered from curse of the second sequel.
World's Edge? Can't remember name - was too long, a necessary explanation to the last film but far too long and lacking in plot.
Stranger tides - New plot completely?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 12:16 PM
Great Unclean One

Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

Surely 'Dead Man's Chest' was the first sequel...?

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 01:18 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Meh, in my opinion they should stop when the series still has a good reputation.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 01:56 PM
IRONBORN

Tyrannus's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
Meh, in my opinion they should stop when the series still has a good reputation.
Unfortunately, That's the case with most/all franchises.

From iron, cometh strength. From strength, cometh will. From will, cometh faith. From faith, cometh honour. From honour, cometh iron. This is the Unbreakable Litany, and may it forever be so.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 02:30 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

I've yet to see a good review for the new one... soo, I doubt i'll be going to see it.

The first was still the best, and the only bit of the 3rd I liked was the sea shanty at the start when they were hanging them.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

P
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
I've yet to see a good review for the new one... soo, I doubt i'll be going to see it.

The first was still the best, and the only bit of the 3rd I liked was the sea shanty at the start when they were hanging them.
Surprisingly most of the imdb reviews have been very positive so far.

I agree with the franchise thing, the first film was a wonderful surprise and would have done better left alone for a while. A solid sequel 5-6 years later could have cemented pirates as one of the greats rather than the money-spinner we have now.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 08:50 PM

Chaplain Garrus's Flag is: United Kingdom

By second sequel I mean sequel, but if I were to rescue any sense or logic in that, I'd be able to say the third/second sequel being what it was, ruined the second movie's plot as a whole.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-11, 09:19 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

I enjoyed it mostly, but i will be the first to admit its the weakest of the 4 movies, The returning cast were excellent, but i think Penelope Cruz let the movie down, yes shes nice to look at and she added a Spanish connection but she was not very convincing as blackbeards daughter or as a pirate or as an actress, i dont think she was getting "it" and she didnt show enough flesh to make her sexy enough for a love interest or eye candy. Ian mcshane was good as black beard but black beard was not dark or sadistic enough, Davy jones was pretty terrible all the time, black beard however was nasty once or twice but he needed to be "palpatine" to davy jones "vader" if you catch my meaning.
i thought the plot was quite good, had some nice historic stuff once again and the settings and ships were amazing and far less CGI this time out which is nice.

Anyway if your Jack sparrow fan its worth seeing and it will entertain you, but if your not into pirates or havent watched the first three then i dont think its worth seeing in the cinema.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-11, 10:58 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Like was said earlier with some more editing the film could have been great. I honestly wish that it would have been Jack and the Spanish vs Black beard. Honestly they could have cut the english out of this film entirely as they where filler and pretty damn boring. Wanna fit Barbossa in, there where other ways. Black Beard needed to be more sinister and the entire little love story/sub plot with the mermaid was annoying at best as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode