Eurovision Song Contest! - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 09:04 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

I was quite happy with the eurovision this year, UK did alot better than expected ,the standard of songs was higher than normal, i honestly couldnt predict a clear winner, and only a couple of comedy songs. Voting was not too bad this year either, alot of the eastern block countries didnt make it through the qualifiers so it was a far less political affair than previous years and the people giving scores for the most part were quick and efficient with a couple cocknocker exceptions.

On the downside the French still had to have everything translated for them and still insisted on scoring in french which is Ironic considering there entry was in Corsican.

This was going to be our last Eurovision (according to the wife) if things didnt change for the better, its one of our family traditions but after the last few years it was turning into a disappointing farce and we decided we could spend 3 plus hours watching something else, but fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your own opinion) it was a much fairer and the entries were a higher standard so our interest has been reinvigorated.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 10:07 AM

Abomination's Flag is: United Kingdom

@bitsandkits - glad to see someone else who enjoyed it.

@MetalHandkerchief - There will be more particpents but I'm only putting those who are confirmed in my sig, so far only those 9 have confirmed. Also you should have expected they would try to save money, there has been a global recession and many countries are still feeling the pinch.

@Grizbe - you're overstating the voting problem, the political voting has been a non-issue for 3 years running under this split system and neighbourly voting is something that cannot be avoided. An artist popular in Sweden for example is likely to be popular in Denmark, Norway etc in real-life not just ESC. Look here in the uk, alot of US artists are popular here in the UK because we have the same language, similar culture, taste etc.

I loved this contest and I think Azerbaijan were worthy winners.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 10:11 AM

The French thing is just one of the rules of Eurovision strangely as it was the second most spoken language at the time, it's now third after German. It just happens to tie in with Frances fierce defence of their own language.

It was good this year, we had score sheets and everything. Moldova were robbed clearly, a fairy on a unicycle with some monocle wearing gnomes.

I think Georgia was our favourite in the room.

The Eastern Block voting is less of a problem now, as you can see with the last winners being Norway then Germany.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Newman View Post
I just have one question about it. How did Azerbaijan, a non european country, win a EUROPEAN only award? It just makes no sense!
Erm because it's not a European only award. Israel have been in for years.

Aramoro

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 10:32 AM

Abomination's Flag is: United Kingdom

@Stephen_Newman - Entry to Eurovision Song Contest is not determined by geographical location or membership of the European Union. To take part in Eurovision a country needs only for its broadcaster to be what is classed as an Active Member of the Eurovision Broadcasting Union and/or for the country to a member of the Council Of Europe.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 01:48 PM
nice boy, daft though !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
The French thing is just one of the rules of Eurovision strangely as it was the second most spoken language at the time, it's now third after German. It just happens to tie in with Frances fierce defence of their own language.

It was good this year, we had score sheets and everything. Moldova were robbed clearly, a fairy on a unicycle with some monocle wearing gnomes.

I think Georgia was our favourite in the room.

The Eastern Block voting is less of a problem now, as you can see with the last winners being Norway then Germany.
I have to admit i did love Moldova and mostly for the reasons you have listed lol

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 02:28 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

I voted for Moldova. lol. It was daft, but it was still one of the better more enjoyable songs out there.

And the voting Is still a problem. Really ALL the votes need to be by phone poll of actual veiwers, or your always going to get the political votes from the judges which does skew the results.

Personaly though, I hated Azerbaijans entry... Ukraine and Denmark were the better ones out of the top 5.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 02:56 PM

The expert judges are what correct the block voting in reality.

It used to be all phone polls by viewers and that's when it was really skewed towards the Eastern block, that is when they brought in the panels of judges.

Aramoro

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 03:37 PM

Karak The Unfaithful's Flag is: Great Britain

I don't like eurovision, I guess its just not for me.

plus Britain come last or very close to last every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klomster View Post
Ok, doing good gentlemen.
(Except Karak, you are not really a gentleman, but more brutal.... a brutalman )
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 03:54 PM
nice boy, daft though !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak The Unfaithful View Post
I don't like eurovision, I guess its just not for me.

plus Britain come last or very close to last every time.
well we didnt on saturday, we were in the top half of the list, we got votes from most countries and even a few 12 pointers, alot of the political voting has stopped and i think maybe because we are helping rid the world of gaddafi with other EU nations and helping with bail outs and such our reputation in Europe is better than it was.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode