What's left to adapt? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-11, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default What's left to adapt?

So, in the past few years we've seen Transformers, Scott Pilgrim, GI Joe, Marmaduke, Alvin & the Chipmunks, thunderbirds, Watchmen, Yogi Bear and a whole host of other TV and comic legends brought to the big screen with differing (though often lacklustre) results.

With the smurfs film on the horizon, what TV show and comics would you like to see brought to life? Remember to state your case with each suggestion.

Mine would be:

1. M.A.S.K - tongue in cheek sillyness, with balls to the walls action sequences and plenty of transforming vehicle fights. I don't want any bullshit teenage protagonists, though Scott and T-Bob can make an appearance to fuck up and get rescued if they must. (Jayce and the wheeled warriors would also be cool, but it's much the same type of film)

2. Sandman - The first story arch of Neil Gaiman's masterwork would be awe inspiring cinema. The potential to cock this up would be very high , but nevertheless I'd like to see someone like terry gilliam or david fincher give it a go.

3. The Boys - Garth Ennis' universe of drugged up, sexually perverse and unrestrained superheroes vs the Hard nut bastards employed by the CIA to keep them in check would take the themes explored in Kick Ass to another level. A firm 18 rating, I see this as Snatch with capes.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-11, 03:49 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

My short list would be the following--

1) Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" -- Batman's pushing 60 and decides to come out of retirement. The government wishes he hadn't. An epic gang war for the control of Gotham follow as does a fist-fight with Superman. And, of course, I can't forget the Sons of Batman.... This was the miniseries that revitalized Batman and influenced comic book storytelling for decades to come. I picture Clint Eastwood at his age now, though with more muscle as the lead. The recent Batman movies were close, but they needed to be more dark to approach the level of DKR.

2) Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens -- The Antichrist is "misplaced" in a comedy of errors and grows up as a normal boy in rural England. An angel and demon are thrown in for good measure. Things really heat up when the four horsemen (plus four more) ride out in the impending apocalypse. The end of the world has never been as funny. Considering Pratchett and Gaiman's standards this will probably never ever happen, but I can dream.

3) Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter the Warlord of Mars series -- A confederate soldier is transported to Mars where ancient Mars civilizations struggle to survive. Martians (the human-looking ones) fight against other Martians (the giant four-armed lizard ones). There are also sky pirates, giant beasts, Martian-eating plant forms, and so much more. This would have to be mature since Carter and the Martians are nude all the time (Dejah Thoris, anyone? If you don't know who this is, Google her, and you are welcome in advance).

On a related note, I've been seeing the trailers for Arthur. I find it kind of sad that the demographic that the filmmakers seem to be targeting were far too young to remember Dudley Moore in the original.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-11, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicrel Seijin View Post
My short list would be the following--
Nice choices. I think you may well be lucky on the John Carter aspect as it's slated for release next year. Pretty sure it might even be in post by this point.

Quote:
On a related note, I've been seeing the trailers for Arthur. I find it kind of sad that the demographic that the filmmakers seem to be targeting were far too young to remember Dudley Moore in the original.
As much as I like Russell brand, Arthur just seems like a convenient vehicle for him to 'act' like himself. I'll watch it, but i doubt it'll be anything worthwhile. At least Helen Mirren's in it.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-11, 07:00 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
3) Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter the Warlord of Mars series -- A confederate soldier is transported to Mars where ancient Mars civilizations struggle to survive. Martians (the human-looking ones) fight against other Martians (the giant four-armed lizard ones). There are also sky pirates, giant beasts, Martian-eating plant forms, and so much more. This would have to be mature since Carter and the Martians are nude all the time (Dejah Thoris, anyone? If you don't know who this is, Google her, and you are welcome in advance).
Its soon on pre-production i believe.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-11, 08:38 PM

Apart from my niave hope of a HBO gaunts ghosts or HH series turning up (i know; the devil will call a snow day before we get that but nice to dream) I would love Sandman and Good Omens to be made.

In addition though I believe American Gods should be made although again I think a tv series would be more suitable if only for the scope you would need for such an epic book.

I would also dearly love another adventure set on Serenity as that TV series and film were just outstanding. If you have seen Firefly I really don't need to say more and if you haven't please do!

One last one.......Dr Horrible 2 please! Amazing cast, fantastic songs and a tragic story arc all in 40 minutes!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-11, 03:05 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
Nice choices. I think you may well be lucky on the John Carter aspect as it's slated for release next year. Pretty sure it might even be in post by this point.
So I looked it up on IMDb and it seemed to be just the thing and then I saw the production company -- Pixar/Disney. Now I'm not sure what to think. Pixar is awesome, but Disney can butcher stories like no one's business. But I'll withhold judgment until I actually see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonictalkin56 View Post
I would also dearly love another adventure set on Serenity as that TV series and film were just outstanding. If you have seen Firefly I really don't need to say more and if you haven't please do!
Have you read the comic book series? There are two -- Serenity: Those Left Behind and Serenity: Better Days. And both predate the series and film. Whedon doesn't do all the writing though (he's listed as a co-writer), but it might hold you over, that and he has said there are more in the works.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-11, 04:11 AM

Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

As a kid I was a huge fan of The Lord of the Rings book and the Hobbit. As the Rings movies have been done and The Hobbit is in the works, I am fairly happy. But I was also a huge fan of the TSR Dragonlance books by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I was very partial to Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night and Dragons of Spring Dawning.
I haven't read them in many years, but I still have my copies and remember them being very entertaining.

Another one I would enjoy would be something from the Ravenloft setting. again a TSR setting but it was or is one of the most iconic setting in the entire range.

I had a few other idea's but I forget them right now, being very tired will do that!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-11, 08:32 AM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Thundercats and Bucky O'Hare

Gemmells Legend needs a big screen adaptation.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-11, 08:35 AM
Banned
Azkaellon's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
Thundercats
....Oh Fuck no..........
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-11, 08:51 AM

effigy22's Flag is: United Kingdom

I would love a movie adaption of China Mieville's books. Especially Perdido Street Station / The Scar / Iron Council series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Don't, after rolling that final 1 too many, flip out, climb up on the table and jump up and down on your opponent's models screaming 'APOCALYPTIC BARRAGE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!'.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode