The Kings Speech [Movie Review] - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Craw-Daddy

Default The Kings Speech [Movie Review]

I went to this movie expecting a dissapointment after both Inception, and Social Network both were defeated in the academy awards for best motion picture. But I actually was surprised at how good the film actually was.

This movie, the The King's Speech, is about a prince named; Prince Albert, Duke of York and the problem he faced becoming the important figure he eventually became as time revealed itself. The opening scene of the film demonstrates the problem this prince has. Prince Albert, Duke of York, also known as Bertie, has a speech problem and continously embarrasses himself in front of the nation because he just doesn't seem to have the ability to get the words out.

As such, his wife tries to help Bertie by finding him a proper doctor and speech therapist to help him. After several trials he finally finds a very unorthodox doctor(Lionel) who reveals to Bertie with one of his abilities what he is capable of.

And though the movie is primarily concerned with Bertie's speech problems, it also reveals the internal problems of the royal family during this time. One of the problematic ones being of his older brother, Edward, Prince of Whales. Edward has personal problems that interfere with the well being of the Royal Family. Even King George who is frusterated by Bertie's problems, voices his concern over Edward and acknowledges the need of Bertie in the future.

As the problems of the family unroll, Lionel plays a bigger and helpful roll to Bertie; both by his being a friend and supporter, and a motivational speech therapist. As Lionel becomes a more influential part of Bertie's life, Lionel reveals to Bertie how essential it is for him to find himself due to the apparent problems and potential future he may have to live for England.

Bertie breaks apart from Lionel after this conversation they have with one another, and finally realizes that what he feared and what Lionel said was true. His brother, Prince Edward of Whales becomes king and is not able to uphold the family name for very long due to his personal life. It is up to Bertie to finally become what he is meant to be and what he has always feared. Bertie must get a hold of himself with Lionel's help to become the strongest and most powerful man in Europe against perhaps the biggest evil Europe and perhaps the entire world has faced throughout history.

At first, within the first ten minutes, I was pretty much like... ugh... I don't... fucking.... care... Social Network should have won. But its not long before you see how good the film is.

A few good things about the film, are definitely the plot and the characters. I don't think they could have found better characters than the ones they did for this film. And plot is a very good and important one for one of the most important events in history.

Some weaknesses of the film, are the sometimes it can jump pretty fast from a few scenes. But otherwise, it was pretty decent.

I'd give the film a good 9/10. It definitely deserved Best Motion Picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 04:15 PM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

Nice review mate, my thoughts are more or less same. I did watch this one before Social network though.

PS: Inception is overhyped, as every Nolan's movie. I really like only Memento.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-11, 05:04 PM

Prince of Whales!

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-11, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Craw-Daddy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode